What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ireland v France

Pommy

Coach
So France are now officially in RLWC 2021. Seems to be year of the French (U/18s Euro Champions, Challenge Cup winners and now this).

France really should be walking the euro cup, it’s no surprise they’ve qualified. It’s probably worse that Lebanon qualified over them at the World Cup.

I would be focusing more on improving exposure in places like Serbia, Ukraine, Czech Rep and Spain, just forgetting Ireland and Scotland. The union culture there is far too overbearing, you'll have much better bang for buck in the east, and more growth potential.

I think there’s potential in Ireland, Scotland are hopeless though.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I would be focusing more on improving exposure in places like Serbia, Ukraine, Czech Rep and Spain, just forgetting Ireland and Scotland. The union culture there is far too overbearing, you'll have much better bang for buck in the east, and more growth potential.

Yep, i dont understand this facination with markets that have a big middle-class and established national sports....

Far better off heading to poor but growing countries, become a favourite sport of the local people and be established before it becomes a market everyone wants.

US would be lovely, but there is f*ck all chance of RL breaking into that market. That ship saled when California RU decided not to switch codes. Aim for South America, Africa, Asia and eastern Europe instead.

yakstorm

First Grade
Agree, Eastern Europe should be the main focus, with a plan on establishing footprints in Africa, LatAM and Asia

If we could solidify that region, we will in turn help grow the sport in markets like Ireland, Scotland, USA indirectly by providing opportunities for their players and opposition for their teams.

Considering our lack of money as a sport, we should be open to whatever markets will allow us to get the best return, especially when there is a solid RL foundation underpinning it. Serbia has that.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Agree, Eastern Europe should be the main focus, with a plan on establishing footprints in Africa, LatAM and Asia

If we could solidify that region, we will in turn help grow the sport in markets like Ireland, Scotland, USA indirectly by providing opportunities for their players and opposition for their teams.

Considering our lack of money as a sport, we should be open to whatever markets will allow us to get the best return, especially when there is a solid RL foundation underpinning it. Serbia has that.

Agreed! We could secure better stadia, accom, flights etc by playing tournaments in Latin America or Eastern/Central Europe.