What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will Maguire do to the roster?

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I think Brooks has played behind some bog average forward packs during his first grade career. Outside of Woods & Tapau I can't think of a decent prop we've had in the past 10 years.

Some clubs are in all sort of cap trouble - Parramatta (supposedly have $200k left under the cap and have to find $700k for Hayne). Players like Bevan French and Moeroa might be moved to accommodate Hayne

Penrith are another - Merrin is on big money but is being moved on due to cap pressure.

If I was in charge of Salary cap at WT

OUT
McQueen
Rochow

That would leave 26 players signed for 2019.

Up and coming half (I think Josh Drinkwater is still worth a NRL contract as a backup and remains unsigned for next season. His brother is also very good but re-signed with Melbourne)
Outside back (ideally with height)
Edge forward with size

Tiger05

First Grade
A lot of ifs and buts however I agree. Reynolds got players player in 2 of the 5 games he played this year. He was very good when on the field. Hopefully we see a lot more of him next year.

He was good at times but he was rarely on the field. He also looked like dross I think in the trials.

Hopefully he gets fit and has an injury free season where he really adds to the team.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Will be good to see Reynolds and Brooks play consistent footy together. Interested to see how they gel.

We need to focus on signing quality forwards to add to our pack. We are very thin in this regard and Brooks/Reynolds will struggle without them

Tiger05

First Grade
Yeah but throw in. .while playing under 4 different first grade coaches and 92 halves partners by the age of 23

I don't see this as an excuse but I also don't see the teams non-performance as being Brooks issue. Horseface is close to the best player in the game and he didn't do well in that team or lead us to winning games.

Brooks last years performance was as good or better than every half in the game. There aren't a lot of quality halves so they are probably overpaid based on their position rather than their ability to win their teams games but Brooks is someone who ideally we build around. If anyone watched NC last year it was pretty obvious that he wasn't a game winner as well. Maloney was the guy who could create something.

We simply haven't had a quality squad to go with our class players and we have a history of overpaying supposedly class players with the end result being a sub standard team. Robbie, Benji (I think less so), Moses and Woods were probably all significantly overpaid during their time with us. I'd even put horseface into that category. Brooks has probably been overpaid as well but he is far from the only one.

Thats if Brooks is even here.
Besides, ive watched enough of Brooks to see he can and will deliver in that department....
Watch Johns ,Thurston, Cronk etc whole career .. We are expecting him to be a superstar at 23 ffs !! Ive not looked back at the above mentioned players history stats and records but id be happily called a dickhead if their achievements show anything significant over Luke.

How good were Thurston, Johns, Cronk etc in their 6th year in first grade?

The answer is "laughably better than Luke Brooks".

I expect him to be better than he was when he started.

He isn't.

Das Hassler

Bench
But .....imagine if Brooks had of had the chance of starting out and developing in the environments those guys were blessed with instead of the rolling chaos of this club the last half dozen years ....that's no small issue ...it's massive for a halfback having the other three ( illustrious members) of the spine having on and offfield issues with the club and coach(es) ...constantly changing game plans. If Maquire stays longterm and keeps tight control over the playing group.(which i believe he will)..it will be Brooks only taste of stability since he came into grade and none of the instability was of his doing...even this year he had 3 or 4 ( edit...corrected) halves partners ....4 hookers and 3 fullbacks and still won a gong.... for me its a wonder he doesnt need a therapist and his journey starts as of now.

Just to add...his game management still has a ways to go for sure but his defence and toughness are as good as any of them.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
How good were Thurston, Johns, Cronk etc in their 6th year in first grade?

The answer is "laughably better than Luke Brooks".

I expect him to be better than he was when he started.

He isn't.

Well if you compare him against the 3 best 7s of the past 20 years then yes, they are laughably better then him.

I doubt Brooks will ever be at that level, and we don’t necessarily need him to be. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to say he can eclipse the likes of Pearce/DCE etc and those guys are Premiership winning 7s.

This will be the first time in forever that Brooks will have a settled 1/6/9 around him from day 1 of a pre season. Personally I think he’s about to enter the prime of his career and will cement his spot as one of the top 5 play makers in the game.

Well if you compare him against the 3 best 7s of the past 20 years then yes, they are laughably better then him.

I doubt Brooks will ever be at that level, and we don’t necessarily need him to be. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to say he can eclipse the likes of Pearce/DCE etc and those guys are Premiership winning 7s.

This will be the first time in forever that Brooks will have a settled 1/6/9 around him from day 1 of a pre season. Personally I think he’s about to enter the prime of his career and will cement his spot as one of the top 5 play makers in the game.

You named them (The best 3), not me Vic. They were better than Brooks at every stage of their careers. Johns' first game was better than every single game Brooks has played.

Name one 2018 #7 who is worse than Brooks? Apart from that gutless spastic Moses, Matt Frawley and maybe whomever The Raiders have there.

I'd swap him in a heartbeat for any of the other 12.

You're expecting way too much of Brooks. If he didn't have it in any of his first 6 seasons, I don't see why he'll' have it in #7.

Having said that I hope that he makes me eat my words and I'll happily tell everyone at the end of next season if he does come good. Hell, if he gets us to a GF, I'll offer to take out my false teeth and blow him.

But .....imagine if Brooks had of had the chance of starting out and developing in the environments those guys were blessed with instead of the rolling chaos of this club the last half dozen years ....that's no small issue ...it's massive for a halfback having the other three ( illustrious members) of the spine having on and offfield issues with the club and coach(es) ...constantly changing game plans. If Maquire stays longterm and keeps tight control over the playing group.(which i believe he will)..it will be Brooks only taste of stability since he came into grade and none of the instability was of his doing...even this year he had 3 or 4 ( edit...corrected) halves partners ....4 hookers and 3 fullbacks and still won a gong.... for me its a wonder he doesnt need a therapist and his journey starts as of now.

Just to add...his game management still has a ways to go for sure but his defence and toughness are as good as any of them.

You can makes excuses for a season or two but not 6. He needs to grab the bull by the balls but I don't think he's capable of that.

Das Hassler

Bench
You can makes excuses for a season or two but not 6. He needs to grab the bull by the balls but I don't think he's capable of that.

Nah...i don't think so. ...excuses are asking someone to accept BS.....a fair minded review of each of those 6seasons ( and him starting out as a 17 year old) paint an ugly workplace picture ....others leave clubs for far less disruption to their careers. ...
different viewpoints i guess and fair enough