What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gavet gorrrrrrnnnnnn!!??

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Surely that's a backended 450k.

No one we could have swapped him with at the knights..?

Maybe big hopes for Jackson Frei

Last edited:

BLN2

Juniors
Frei is on a development contract, not sure exactly what that is (ISP contract potentially? Or low first grade offer if he impresses), but no way he would be a straight swap. Lino, Gavet and Vuna leaving out of the blue, with only bottom dollar guys signed suggests to me there is someone coming in. Can't be a big name guy, but someone.

Iron Lion

Juniors
Surely that's a backended 450k.

No one we could have swapped him with at the knights..?

Maybe big hopes for Jackson Frei

Backended would be the most likely and that's why they are willing to let him walk with a year to go. He is not worth that money to us and Knights willing to pay him that means we have money in the bank now to play with. Add in Vuna's money too and possibly money left over from Mannering and Lino and there could be a half decent signing coming in.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Frei is on a development contract, not sure exactly what that is (ISP contract potentially? Or low first grade offer if he impresses), but no way he would be a straight swap. Lino, Gavet and Vuna leaving out of the blue, with only bottom dollar guys signed suggests to me there is someone coming in. Can't be a big name guy, but someone.

From what I understand from last season, the clubs name their top 30, which is where you must select your NRL side from, below that you have these development players, and under certain circumstances they can be upgraded to the full time squad or given dispensation to play

Examples that I know of last year from Manly were Fainu and Suli, both were development players, we had Taufua, Walker, Uate out among others so Suli was allowed to be upgraded. Later in the season Korosau went down against the Warriors, and the next week we named Fainu to play, the the NRL stepped in over the top of that and barred him from playing, because they believed that the initial 30 had adequate cover with Lewis Brown available lol, Brown then got injured and Fainu was allowed to play after that

We don't have the cap for a big signing. Won't happen. Fringe/reserve player at best to fill out the squad.

It depends on how much cap we have left. If management get their way with SJ reducing his contract we could be in chance with snaring a good signing. I like this set up in our management now. The feeling they have something planned intrigues me a whole lot. Looking at our squad Top 30 it's a pretty good one for overall quality. I fair we just need a good forward or 2 to make us a real threat at a maiden premiership. Long gone the days of having a bunch or B or C first graders.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Just wish Adam Blair was next
I've changed my tune on Blair. I don't think he's too bad a back rower, especially when I look at the inexperience back rowers we do have (barring Tohu of course).

He still ain't got no power but I've come to like his mobility, tackle count and ability to offload from time to time. I wouldnt pay 600k for him or even give him a Kiwis jersey but his season wasn't too bad for us.

Gavet is not getting replaced as someone has mentioned. Knights pack already shaping up to be lethal with David Klemmer joining the Saiafiti twins as well as Gavet.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ooking-to-replace-james-gavet-for-2019-season

JJ

Immortal
I've changed my tune on Blair. I don't think he's too bad a back rower, especially when I look at the inexperience back rowers we do have (barring Tohu of course).

He still ain't got no power but I've come to like his mobility, tackle count and ability to offload from time to time. I wouldnt pay 600k for him or even give him a Kiwis jersey but his season wasn't too bad for us.

Gavet is not getting replaced as someone has mentioned. Knights pack already shaping up to be lethal with David Klemmer joining the Saiafiti twins as well as Gavet.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ooking-to-replace-james-gavet-for-2019-season
Blair is a depth forward at best IMO

Gavet doesn't make anyone lethal, but yep if the have Klemmer the Knights will continue to improve