What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JAMAICA MAKE WORLD CUP 2021!

Golden point

Juniors
Who is going to pay for it? What’s the angle for the clubs?

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be good for RL. But the clubs are only concerned about themselves what do they get from a game in jamaica?
It expensive and ticket sales are unlikely to pay off the expense. The number of fans is small but growing which doesn’t give sponsors a great deal of exposure. What’s the angle?
Not to mention Rising seas and nuclear fallout from world war 3....

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I love the idea of nrl pathways and partnerships however without junior participationin the 1000's it probably won't be considered worth the journey to inspect the talent. If we can get a successful national team to inspire kids to take up the sport we might get the numbers up and get some momentum to build on. This platform is on show now in Tonga with junior partisapation double since the world cup and more recently Fijian success saw Filter and John's bring a young Fijian back to Aus.

All this started with competitive National team which of course relied upon heritage players.

Also willing to note that awarding people a national jumper based on their location cheapens the jumper and lowers it's profile and desirability .
Receiving the opportunity to represent your country should always always mean " you are the very best we have available to represent us" not " you "have a more authentic accent "

Accent, no. Passport, citizenship and hell even stepped foot in the country? Yes, that is more authentic.

BTW - I know the NRL set up a Pacific Strategy. Do you know if there are any NRL academies or Centres of Excellence established on the islands? I couldn't find any info online.

Golden point

Juniors
If teams are already jetting off abroad for warm weather training like Leeds and Salford to Florida in the past and other teams to South Africa. Why not Jamaica??

Why not play a trial match while already there?
Is it a game in the States in already scheduled for round 0 in the nrl to promote the game?

But year impossible....

Golden point

Juniors
Who is going to pay for it? What’s the angle for the clubs?

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be good for RL. But the clubs are only concerned about themselves what do they get from a game in jamaica?
It expensive and ticket sales are unlikely to pay off the expense. The number of fans is small but growing which doesn’t give sponsors a great deal of exposure. What’s the angle?
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...w/news-story/deed413624e2d4552c5c4e46d11fe6ec

Golden point

Juniors
You do understand the USA and Jamaica are two seperate countries right?
The US provides a wealthy group of people who are able to buy tickets to fund the costs and an audience for the sponsors. I don’t know what you’re trying to prove with this link.
I think you ment to say :
" I see.. they're playing a game in the country right next door so I guess it's not that far fetched after all"
Just imagine how stupid you'll look if they play a trial there hey.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I agree with @Pommy and we are not the only ones. Growth within the countries itself is actually growing the game. Using existing Australian, English and Kiwi players to wear the national shirts of other countries does not grow the game or player pool around the world.

BTW - I am fully aware of why Tonga and Samoa do this due to their low populations but they should at least play games in their home country.

Exactly, playing games in Campbelltown and Auckland is just a money grab.

Take the Lions tour next year, am I right in saying Fiji and Samoa will play their games in NZ....FFS.

I understand with Tonga there are issues with the stadium in Tonga.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Exactly, playing games in Campbelltown and Auckland is just a money grab.

Take the Lions tour next year, am I right in saying Fiji and Samoa will play their games in NZ....FFS.

I understand with Tonga there are issues with the stadium in Tonga.

Yes, it is my understanding that GB will play Fiji and Samoa midweek between Kiwi tests in NZ. It is a financial decision but it doesn't help engage fans on the islands if their team never plays at home. Hopefully this is an aspect of the game that changes soon. It wasn't that long ago that NZ hadn't played at home for a few years (2014 - 2017 I believe).

On Tonga, the King is getting involved asking the NRL for more tests for the national team. We need to turn around and leverage that position and point out to the man that can do something about it, that a quality 10 - 15k stadium needs to be built and then then the Tongan side can come and play in front of their people.

Pommy

Coach
I think you ment to say :
" I see.. they're playing a game in the country right next door so I guess it's not that far fetched after all"
Just imagine how stupid you'll look if they play a trial there hey.

Right next door is a very lose term when used with a country that spans a continent.
Also the EPL play a lot of trials in the USA, I still haven’t seen them hold one in the Windies, I wonder why that might be.

Golden point

Juniors
Right next door is a very lose term when used with a country that spans a continent.
Also the EPL play a lot of trials in the USA, I still haven’t seen them hold one in the Windies, I wonder why that might be.

the fact of the matter is a trial between Wigan and Castleford isn't on the same level Chelsea vs Manchester. the EPL don't play trials in coffs harbour either...
You talk about keeping it real then push the most ridiculous comparison.
I don't think you're playing with a full deck.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Yes, it is my understanding that GB will play Fiji and Samoa midweek between Kiwi tests in NZ. It is a financial decision but it doesn't help engage fans on the islands if their team never plays at home. Hopefully this is an aspect of the game that changes soon. It wasn't that long ago that NZ hadn't played at home for a few years (2014 - 2017 I believe).

On Tonga, the King is getting involved asking the NRL for more tests for the national team. We need to turn around and leverage that position and point out to the man that can do something about it, that a quality 10 - 15k stadium needs to be built and then then the Tongan side can come and play in front of their people.

He can even get the Chinese to pay for it at the moment ;)

Pommy

Coach
the fact of the matter is a trial between Wigan and Castleford isn't on the same level Chelsea vs Manchester. the EPL don't play trials in coffs harbour either...
You talk about keeping it real then push the most ridiculous comparison.
I don't think you're playing with a full deck.

Says the guy who’s idea of geography is it’s on the planet earth, why not?
Anyway you were posting about the NRL why jump to castle ford all of a sudden?

Golden point

Juniors
Says the guy who’s idea of geography is it’s on the planet earth, why not?
Anyway you were posting about the NRL why jump to castle ford all of a sudden?
Your a pom. I thought you would be more familiar with those examples .
And yes. Planet Earth- why not?

You need to open your mind.

Pommy

Coach
Your a pom. I thought you would be more familiar with those examples .
And yes. Planet Earth- why not?

You need to open your mind.

Lived in Sydney a lot longer than I have Wigan.
Also for all the reasons I already mentioned, keep up.

Latest posts