What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal thread \m/

yobbo84

First Grade
How good is SlipKnot's new track? Can't stop listening to it. Best thing since Iowa.

Pommy

Coach
Found myself listening to Amon Amarths new live album all weekend, the pursuit of Vikings.
I’m a total noob when it comes to metal so I don’t post in here a whole lot, I don’t know what’s happened in the last 12 months but metal has really grown on me.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Found myself listening to Amon Amarths new live album all weekend, the pursuit of Vikings.
I’m a total noob when it comes to metal so I don’t post in here a whole lot, I don’t know what’s happened in the last 12 months but metal has really grown on me.

Wow so you just get into metal and straight into that. Most get eased in. That’s really dropping in dry with no lube :joy:

Eelementary

Post Whore
the chicks clean vocals at the start are f**king irritating. The rest of the song is not bad.

Copping a bit of flack for Alissa's vocals, it is true.

Randy's vocals are awesome, imo - best he's sounded in years.

And Morton knows how to write a funky riff.

Hopefully, it should be a good album.

adamkungl

Immortal
2018 I didn't get to as many albums as I'd hoped, with a huge (spotify) pile of critically acclaimed left sadly unlistened for now. I did listen to 58 in total, and there was some crackers in there, a lot that continued to get better with more time. I don't think it reached the heights of some other years but a rpetty good one for metal anyway.

So, for anyone looking for something new to rattle their neighbours windows with, here's my top 10 from 2018 (+ a handful of others deserving a plug)

Noteworthy, honourable mentions,
Just missed the cut but quality albums, or obviously good but didn't have the time needed to properly sink in.

Gorod - Aethra
The Ocean - Phanerozoic 1: Palaeozoic
Orphaned Land - Unsung Prophets and Dead Messiahs
Tribulation - Down Below
Dire Peril - The Extraterrestrial Compendium
Soliloquium - Contemplations
Sulphur Aeon - The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos

The top 10

10 Judas Priest - Firepower
9 Necropanther - Eyes of Blue Light
8 Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology
7 Khemmis - Desolation
6 High on Fire - Electric Messiah
5 Amorphis - Queen of Time
4 Skeletonwitch - Devouring Radiant Light
3 Satan - Cruel Magic
2 King Goat - Debt of Aeons
1 Altars of Grief - Iris

An excellent year for doom, which isn't my usual go-to.
King Goat and Khemmis drop big 2nd and 3rd albums respectively while Altars of Grief put out an absolute stunner, showing off the best metal has to offer as a genre. BECOMING INTANGIBLE is one of the best songs i've heard in year.

High on Fire, Amorphis, Skeletonwitch as consistent as ever.
Necropanther bringing more Skeletonwitch to the table than Skeletonwitch themselves.

Slugdge are without doubt the best invertebrate themed death metal band currently going.

Satan continue their ridiculous run of 35-years-too-late perfect traditional heavy metal albums, and Judas Priest somehow still killing it after an absurd 50 years of performing.

beave

Coach
saw Slayer last night in Brissy, old f**kers have still got it. I haven’t liked any of their albums (3 of them) since ‘God Hates Us All’ as I think they’ve just run out of ideas (like Metallica) their old stuff still simply rips though. Tom’s voice was on point, best I’ve ever heard him sing live.