What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General NRL offseason news/rumours

Matua

Bench
Yep, he was dropped - pretty bizarre - along with the non-selection of Fisher-Harris and Tapine - while young Papai'ili and old Blair were there - I'm a fan of Papai'ili but he's not in their calibre yet, and Blair hasn't been for about 10 years...

Seems it was a good win, but the Poms were depleted and the series lost - so I'm not sure what to make of it - generally I like what Madge has done, but this was strange
TBH, I don't think excuses should be made for the Poms, and the Kiwis got the rough end of the stick this series - I nearly couldn't be bothered watching the 3rd test as I didn't want to see them stitched up 3 matches in a row but glad I did.

Dropping Taupau is idiotic though, and agree with you on Papali'i going forward.

But I was glad to see Bromwich back, there's no other prop I'd pick over him from any team. He even inspired JWH to play better.

I'm looking forward to a Kiwis team with RTS and Harris back next year (although I'll be pissed off if those two are ever unavailable for minor injuries that they'll play through at club level ... not saying this was the case for this tour but they're both on notice from the Denver test).

Reactions: JJ
TBH, I don't think excuses should be made for the Poms, and the Kiwis got the rough end of the stick this series - I nearly couldn't be bothered watching the 3rd test as I didn't want to see them stitched up 3 matches in a row but glad I did.

Dropping Taupau is idiotic though, and agree with you on Papali'i going forward.

But I was glad to see Bromwich back, there's no other prop I'd pick over him from any team. He even inspired JWH to play better.

I'm looking forward to a Kiwis team with RTS and Harris back next year (although I'll be pissed off if those two are ever unavailable for minor injuries that they'll play through at club level ... not saying this was the case for this tour but they're both on notice from the Denver test).
We dont know what happened at training with Taupau, also not sure of his stats on game 2, but he went sideways near end of game and had ball stolen in final mins of game.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
We dont know what happened at training with Taupau, also. Ot sure of his stats on game 2, but he went sideways near end of game and had ball stolen in final mins of game.
Seems a bit rough if that was the reason, JWH lost a bit of ball and Blair went sideways lots during the series. A poor performance from Taupau is few and far between.

Uh oh, I wonder if this snub is the start of the Samoan defections? :)

We dont know what happened at training with Taupau, also not sure of his stats on game 2, but he went sideways near end of game and had ball stolen in final mins of game.

We don't know what went down because the coach and Kiwis hasn't mentioned the reasoning for the drop. Taupau is one guy I love seeing in the Kiwi Jersey. Good power and an offload. JWH and the likes of Ah Mau dont inspire me one bit. Put in a Bromwich/Paasi/NAS/Taupau rotation we in business. I don't get the love for JWH (He had his best game in NZ vs Australia this year but nothing else really)

Taupau always delivers even when he side runs. He is always up there with the leading stats. You can see him literally bending the line when he charges up front on. I hope they sort it out or make us fans understand the stupidity of dropping a guy who gives more than a loud Haka (JWH Hello)

JJ

Immortal
Always liked Merrin (last couple of years he's had injury issues I think), shame he's leaving the NRL IMO - wish we'd have gone after him - be great wearing our 13

JJ

Immortal
Holmes off to NFL, sharks looking for a Fullback.
SJ any good there?

I've always thought he could be - bit like Lockyer and Alexander were - he defends better than them (front on at least)

Don't get the NFL fetish, aside from as a punter or field goal kicker (as per Naas Botha and others) it's hard to see how they could develop in the NFL - and kind of ambitious (arrogant?) on behalf of the players involved - but then, if they have dreams and are in a position to try and realise them, then why not - don't want to be in the "what if" position later...

Needs to be much earlier IMO, I was at school a few years behind Dave Dixon many years ago - he played 2nd five for our first XV but locked for the Junior/School Boy All Blacks (he was massive and athletic) - same team as Walter Little etc. He was spotted by a scout and learned the game via a college scholarship - them had a decent career in the NFL with the Vikings, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dixon_(American_football)

Anyway, hope Holmes goes well, but talented as he is, it's like a world class squash player deciding they want to be a tennis pro imo - there are some similarities - we've seen similar in softball-baseball crossovers

Big Marn

Juniors
I've always thought he could be - bit like Lockyer and Alexander were - he defends better than them (front on at least)

Don't get the NFL fetish, aside from as a punter or field goal kicker (as per Naas Botha and others) it's hard to see how they could develop in the NFL - and kind of ambitious (arrogant?) on behalf of the players involved - but then, if they have dreams and are in a position to try and realise them, then why not - don't want to be in the "what if" position later...

Needs to be much earlier IMO, I was at school a few years behind Dave Dixon many years ago - he played 2nd five for our first XV but locked for the Junior/School Boy All Blacks (he was massive and athletic) - same team as Walter Little etc. He was spotted by a scout and learned the game via a college scholarship - them had a decent career in the NFL with the Vikings, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dixon_(American_football)

Anyway, hope Holmes goes well, but talented as he is, it's like a world class squash player deciding they want to be a tennis pro imo - there are some similarities - we've seen similar in softball-baseball crossovers

its a gap year then return to play for the cowboys. Dont want to sound negative but he has zero chance of making an impact in the NFL. He will have to front up to the open tryouts next year like everyone else and i will be amazed if he even gets signed to a practice squad. What position does he think he can play?

Hes too small for RB,(actually i take that back, there are successful RBs out there smaller than him eg Tarik Cohen for the Chicago Bears whos 82kgs and 1.68m tall but he is a reception focused RB and can run 40yards in 4.42 which is exceptional for an RB. Holmes ran 4.6 when testing in LA.)
However. when you look at the rookies coming out of a college scheme. He would be up against it.

CBs would eat him up at outside WR position. The only position he might be capable of playing after a huge learning curve is Slot receiver, but 4.6 is off the pace when you have safeties going 4.3. Good luck to him tho.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

I’d say Dixon’s career was better than decent at the Vikings, he’s a bit of a legend. Would’ve been interesting to see how far he could’ve gone in rugby- all the way at a guess.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
I’d say Dixon’s career was better than decent at the Vikings, he’s a bit of a legend. Would’ve been interesting to see how far he could’ve gone in rugby- all the way at a guess.
He was a big talent

Daughter plays volleyball for US I think

I'm biased but have little doubt he'd have been a fine All Black

Made much more money and has a better life where he ended up though, and little NZ recognition which is a real shame

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Klemmer to Knights and Napa to Bulldogs finally confirmed

Now just to wait and see if the final piece in this rumour does transpire, Taupau to Roosters

JJ

Immortal
Klemmer to Knights and Napa to Bulldogs finally confirmed

Now just to wait and see if the final piece in this rumour does transpire, Taupau to Roosters

Roosters eh, who'd have thought...

Knights starting to look like an interesting squad if the brothers (twins?) stay fit, along with halves and that Ponga fella

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Roosters will give him 800k above the table then an assortment underneath

Is a funny one the Taupau thing, Taupau has only ever said he has a contract for next season and he intends to fulfill it, and the Manly CEO said that they won’t be releasing him and he will be there next year, but it just won’t go away