What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Imo Liddle cops way to much heat from our supporters. Last year he returned from a double shoulder opp, no pre season than suffered a sternum injury. Even the very best would struggle and as for being made of tissue paper, maybe we should have shown Benji the door or Lawrence the door when they went through a long Trott of injuries.

We showed Tedesco plenty of patience and Liddle deserves the same

Yeah, I mean I've also been guilty of it, but I think it's just fans running out of patience waiting for talented juniors to come on. The club has to shoulder some of that responsibility in that we have no quality players in grade ahead of these guys to do an apprenticeship under and that hampers their development in many ways I believe.

Would like to see Liddle come on though, he's shown enough to show that he has it, he's just gotta get through the year relatively injury free and we'll see him go to the next level.

Tiger5150

Bench
Yeah, I mean I've also been guilty of it, but I think it's just fans running out of patience waiting for talented juniors to come on. The club has to shoulder some of that responsibility in that we have no quality players in grade ahead of these guys to do an apprenticeship under and that hampers their development in many ways I believe.

Would like to see Liddle come on though, he's shown enough to show that he has it, he's just gotta get through the year relatively injury free and we'll see him go to the next level.

Liddle has shown enough to suggest.........

a) He has something special and will be a very valuable member of our spine for years to come...

and

b) He is made of tissue paper and with his small frame will never realise anything near his potential or add value to the club.

Trouble is at this stage either and both are true and as likely as the other. This is a big year for him.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Liddle has shown enough to suggest.........

a) He has something special and will be a very valuable member of our spine for years to come...

and

b) He is made of tissue paper and with his small frame will never realise anything near his potential or add value to the club.

Trouble is at this stage either and both are true and as likely as the other. This is a big year for him.

B) he is in the exact same injury situation as Benji was at his age. Imagine if we released him after his second shoulder reco?

Tiger5150

Bench
B) he is in the exact same injury situation as Benji was at his age. Imagine if we released him after his second shoulder reco?

Im not advocating that they get rid of him and the club has stood by him as they did Benji & teddy.

Massive difference (particularly for shoulders) between a 5/8 who had already shown a freakish ability at his position ( through Teddy in the same category) and a hooker who has shown glimpses of promise at best at what he is required to do.

Benji & Teddy ( to a lesser extent) has already "made it" in that they had shown that they were special talents in their position. Liddle has shown he has capable passing, quick out of dummy half and has a good scoot on him but has much more to prove yet such as defensive resilience and the capacity for 80mins in such a tough position. Liddle is in much the same spot as Teddy was after his second knee. This is a big year for him.

Tiger05

First Grade

I don't think he has a small frame. I reckon he is as big as Robbie and bigger than Cook. I think he looked good when he played at the backend of last year.

Das Hassler

Bench

That's right and ive made the same point but the difference (in regards shoulders) is the workload of a 9 compared to a 5/8 ( the "Conductor" Cameron Smith perhaps a notable exception).....But ...determination beats all. Going by his pursuit of Cook Maquire doesnt seem confident though

That's right and ive made the same point but the difference (in regards shoulders) is the workload of a 9 compared to a 5/8 ( the "Conductor" Cameron Smith perhaps a notable exception).....But ...determination beats all. Going by his pursuit of Cook Maquire doesnt seem confident though

Unless we're jacking up Cook's asking price with someone else in mind that Souths might not be able to hang on to if they throw the kitchen sink at Cook?

super_coach

First Grade
I think Charlatan nailed it when he said the club have a lot to answer for

1...by rushing these kids
And
2...not having suitable back up for such a important position.

In saying that, the management of these kids put the clubs under a lot of pressure to fast track them. They basically blackmail the clubs.

Anyway plenty of clubs have made howlers when it comes to re signing players, there are now crystal balls in the NRL

The club looks like they are trying to rectify that now, but as a club that can't offload a Mitch Pearce or James Maloney for a Cooper Cronk or Matt Moylan we need to make sure that until the point that we (if ever,) become that type of club that will attract top line players we have succession plans in place with decent quality older players for the younger players to learn from.

This in part is to blame for Brooks stalled development I believe. He's looked better with an experienced campaigner in the halves with him.

Liddle can be that player, he does have an experienced hooker at the club to learn from so any failure to carry on from here we've given him every opportunity to succeed. Cook is good, certainly not the most creative dummy half but I believe there are more pressing positions to sort out, namely a quality centre and front rower.

Tiger05

First Grade
In saying that, the management of these kids put the clubs under a lot of pressure to fast track them. They basically blackmail the clubs.

It's hard to have a go at the club due to this reason. Look at Moses asking for a huge sum when he hadn't even had a good season. These guys sometimes ask more than established players.

gordsy

Juniors
Injuries aside the question is how long can we wait for Liddle to show he can play the full 80 with a pack that hardly scares other teams ?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Im not advocating that they get rid of him and the club has stood by him as they did Benji & teddy.

Massive difference (particularly for shoulders) between a 5/8 who had already shown a freakish ability at his position ( through Teddy in the same category) and a hooker who has shown glimpses of promise at best at what he is required to do.

Benji & Teddy ( to a lesser extent) has already "made it" in that they had shown that they were special talents in their position. Liddle has shown he has capable passing, quick out of dummy half and has a good scoot on him but has much more to prove yet such as defensive resilience and the capacity for 80mins in such a tough position. Liddle is in much the same spot as Teddy was after his second knee. This is a big year for him.

Agree that he clearly isnt at the level of either of those guys yet. However he hasnt really had a chance to be. Liddle missed the entire pre seasons of 2017/18. Both years his first game was round 4 first grade. He didnt play a trial or even a nsw cup game before being thrown in.

This year he will get a full pre season, in the time trial last week he came second. He hasnt been stuffing around in the off season, its clear he is here to play and play first grade.

If we lose him because we stuck with a 35 year old Farah IMO it will turn out to be a worse decision then we picked Blair over Fifita or Richards over Korobiete.

Agree that he clearly isnt at the level of either of those guys yet. However he hasnt really had a chance to be. Liddle missed the entire pre seasons of 2017/18. Both years his first game was round 4 first grade. He didnt play a trial or even a nsw cup game before being thrown in.

This year he will get a full pre season, in the time trial last week he came second. He hasnt been stuffing around in the off season, its clear he is here to play and play first grade.

If we lose him because we stuck with a 35 year old Farah IMO it will turn out to be a worse decision then we picked Blair over Fifita or Richards over Korobiete.

Or Rankin over JAC...

WT2K

Juniors
Wonder how true the rumour of McQueen to souths is.. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part..

BrotherJim05

Bench
Farah and Benji are reserve graders for 2019 and they are both are happy to do this. They want us to win a premiership as much as we do and if that means having two veterans as your halves and hooker backup then awesome

Latest posts