What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Qualifiers

Western_Eel

Juniors
does anyone know where the cook island v USA game be held?
it would be interesting to see how many Australian and NZ based players would be in the cooks team if it was in Jacksonville

Force

Juniors
Acknowledging and actually mentioning Tonga and Samoa's unique situation is not turning a blind eye to it.
Well it was a different story when you didnt think it was fair if the Cooks beat the US with a bunch of heritage players yet turned a blind eye to the Jamaican team full of heritage players who just beat them.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Well it was a different story when you didnt think it was fair if the Cooks beat the US with a bunch of heritage players yet turned a blind eye to the Jamaican team full of heritage players who just beat them.

I don't think it is a good result for any heritage team to beat a nation that uses actual citizens to make the world cup. I've made this comment several times on here about Jamaica. I don't think it is the best thing for the game that English Jamaica will be at the world cup and the USA team won't be.

I do however hope that the momentum created by the English Jamaicans will push the game to greater heights in Jamaica so that next time we see more Jamaican domestic products play for their national team.

siv

First Grade
I don't think it is a good result for any heritage team to beat a nation that uses actual citizens to make the world cup. I've made this comment several times on here about Jamaica. I don't think it is the best thing for the game that English Jamaica will be at the world cup and the USA team won't be.

I do however hope that the momentum created by the English Jamaicans will push the game to greater heights in Jamaica so that next time we see more Jamaican domestic products play for their national team.

The issue is not heritage v non heritage players

But standard

Now that Jamaica have raised the bar its time for everyone in North America to work on stepping up.

At some point in time a professional league will need to be setup to rival ESL or QLD Cup

deluded pom?

Coach
I see your point. I guess the rugby community (both codes) would be being referred to as they would be the ones we would be looking to, to provide the bulk of the support.
But how many North American people who would attend a NA WC would know or care if the USA played in the previous event? More NA people would attend than any other nationalities rugby fans or not, if it’s done properly if at all.

greenBV4

Bench
does anyone know where the cook island v USA game be held?
it would be interesting to see how many Australian and NZ based players would be in the cooks team if it was in Jacksonville
Hawaii would be a good half-way-between location, doubt it though

langpark

First Grade
Are any of the "WC in North America" advocates not alarmed by the (lack of) crowds at these games in Jacksonville? There seemed to be less than 50 people in the stands on both days. This is in Jacksonville, the supposed RL capital of the USA!

It's a genuine question, I never supported the WC going to America in 2025, so I'd like to see what those that did support it think of this.

langpark

First Grade
Are any of the "WC in North America" advocates not alarmed by the (lack of) crowds at these games in Jacksonville? There seemed to be less than 50 people in the stands on both days. This is in Jacksonville, the supposed RL capital of the USA!

It's a genuine question, I never supported the WC going to America in 2025, so I'd like to see what those that did support it think of this.

Springs09

Juniors
No World Cup Qualifiers are never well attended. Crowds in Australia and England for qualifiers are rubbish as well.

But after Moore Sports couldn't follow through on their word for the Denver Test and subsequently got it scrapped I no longer support the 2025 WC being in the US, especially with nothing announced for the next 4 years to grow the international game's profile there.

The original plan was surprisingly progressive for RL - the Denver Tests and a planned international tournament and other countries keen to take tests there, plus Toronto and the apparent interest of other American parties in entering a team in the British system.

Force

Juniors

Tell that to the Red wave of Tongan supporters. They have been the highlight of International Rugby league since last year. They have made the international game more interesting because they are able to compete with the top teams with their top players available to them instead of being slaughtered with a half-arsed team..

deluded pom?

Coach
No although most Quataris probably know what football is.
So according to you lots of Americans who know little if anything about RL will be outraged because the USA never made the 2021 WC but the Qataris who know well what football is, couldn’t care less that Qatar never played at the previous WC to them hosting it. Talk about arguing with yourself!

Pommy

Coach
So according to you lots of Americans who know little if anything about RL will be outraged because the USA never made the 2021 WC but the Qataris who know well what football is, couldn’t care less that Qatar never played at the previous WC to them hosting it. Talk about arguing with yourself!

What?

My point was USA in 2021 would hopefully lead to a better awareness of the sport. No idea what your post is a reference too.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Tell that to the Red wave of Tongan supporters. They have been the highlight of International Rugby league since last year. They have made the international game more interesting because they are able to compete with the top teams with their top players available to them instead of being slaughtered with a half-arsed team..

I've repeatedly made the case that Tonga and Samoa are the exception due to their extremely low populations. They will always use heratige players and good for them.

Force

Juniors
I've repeatedly made the case that Tonga and Samoa are the exception due to their extremely low populations. They will always use heratige players and good for them.
Yeah...but you say different for the Cook Islands who are in the same boat ie, heritage players etc...

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yeah...but you say different for the Cook Islands who are in the same boat ie, heritage players etc...

Where have I said different for the Cook Islands? They are in exactly the same boat, if not worse than Tonga and Samoa because even their native-born players are also New Zealand citizens.

Force

Juniors
Where have I said different for the Cook Islands? They are in exactly the same boat, if not worse than Tonga and Samoa because even their native-born players are also New Zealand citizens.
Meh....they're one in the same. Trying to nit-pick citizenship wont change it.

Latest posts