What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelogical

Referee
I'm not saying he doesn't personally. I'm questioning the blanket statement "with the correct coaching", the correct coaching can only go so far, there's been very talented players in the past who have been as physically gifted as Sivo that have been let down by a poor attitude.

It's unfair to any coaching staff to solely blame an individual's performance on them
I'm just happy for him to have a crack if he's good enough and BA thinks he's worth a go.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/3807f70528a8a37725c418ffecc47233

Why Parramatta’s cut-price captain Clint Gutherson is in no rush to do a new deal with the Eels

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
November 21, 2018 5:32pm

Clint Gutherson’s future at Parramatta has been put on hold until the NRL’s cut-price captain has the chance to prove his real worth in 2019.

Both Eels coach Brad Arthur and new general manager of football Mark O’Neill make no secret of the fact they want to lock up the inspirational 24-year-old sooner rather than later.

But Gutherson’s agent Sam Ayoub told The Daily Telegraph that won’t be happening until next year.

It’s been speculated Gutherson, who Arthur declared “had gone to another level” this pre-season, is on a conservative contract of around $450,000 next season.

That pales into comparison with the salaries of most, if not all, of his NRL captaincy peers.

Ayoub would not talk figures but conceded Gutherson was likely to attract plenty of interest.

“He is a good fella and one of those ones who you don’t want to undervalue,” Ayoub said.

“I think the peak of his career is ahead of him.

“I don’t see a benefit into rushing in contract players 12 months in advance of when their contract expires, unless you feel a genuine necessity for them to be remaining where they are.

“At the same time you want the club to gauge him on his merits.

“They have indicated to me that they would like to catch up soon for a chat and get the ball rolling, which we greatly appreciate.

“However, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it is the right thing to do at this early stage.

“I’d like to see the club start well and Clint wants to be a part of that.

“I know he is very loyal to Brad Arthur because Brad did give him an opportunity when Manly were keen to offload him.”

Gutherson is one of 28 of the Eels’ contracted players unsigned beyond next year, with all now free to negotiate with rivals.

Asked if Gutherson was a priority, O’Neill said: “You’re right, he is a much valued member who we want to keep long term.”

Arthur added: “We want him to stay, definitely. I love coaching him.”

Arthur agreed with Ayoub that Gutherson’s best footy was still to come after now having 16 months to recover from a full knee reconstruction that severely disrupted his preparations last summer.

“His pre-season has been outstanding so far, which it always is,” Arthur said. “But he has gone to another level. Just fitter, stronger, bigger. The whole lot. He just looks more comfortable.”

Arthur said he would hold off declaring what position Gutherson would play next year.

With Jarryd Hayne extremely unlikely to be back, Gutherson would be equally valuable at fullback or centre, with Bevan French the other option to wear the No.1 jumper.

Asked what Gutherson’s best position was, Arthur said: “The hard thing with Gutho is he can play anywhere and do the same job.

“It depends on what our options are in other positions as well. But he is just someone who no matter where we play he is going to play the same role for us. He wants to do what is best for the team.”

Gronk

Staff member
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/3807f70528a8a37725c418ffecc47233

Why Parramatta’s cut-price captain Clint Gutherson is in no rush to do a new deal with the Eels

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
November 21, 2018 5:32pm

Clint Gutherson’s future at Parramatta has been put on hold until the NRL’s cut-price captain has the chance to prove his real worth in 2019.

Both Eels coach Brad Arthur and new general manager of football Mark O’Neill make no secret of the fact they want to lock up the inspirational 24-year-old sooner rather than later.

But Gutherson’s agent Sam Ayoub told The Daily Telegraph that won’t be happening until next year.

It’s been speculated Gutherson, who Arthur declared “had gone to another level” this pre-season, is on a conservative contract of around $450,000 next season.

That pales into comparison with the salaries of most, if not all, of his NRL captaincy peers.

Ayoub would not talk figures but conceded Gutherson was likely to attract plenty of interest.

“He is a good fella and one of those ones who you don’t want to undervalue,” Ayoub said.

“I think the peak of his career is ahead of him.

“I don’t see a benefit into rushing in contract players 12 months in advance of when their contract expires, unless you feel a genuine necessity for them to be remaining where they are.

“At the same time you want the club to gauge him on his merits.

“They have indicated to me that they would like to catch up soon for a chat and get the ball rolling, which we greatly appreciate.

“However, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it is the right thing to do at this early stage.

“I’d like to see the club start well and Clint wants to be a part of that.

“I know he is very loyal to Brad Arthur because Brad did give him an opportunity when Manly were keen to offload him.”

Gutherson is one of 28 of the Eels’ contracted players unsigned beyond next year, with all now free to negotiate with rivals.

Asked if Gutherson was a priority, O’Neill said: “You’re right, he is a much valued member who we want to keep long term.”

Arthur added: “We want him to stay, definitely. I love coaching him.”

Arthur agreed with Ayoub that Gutherson’s best footy was still to come after now having 16 months to recover from a full knee reconstruction that severely disrupted his preparations last summer.

“His pre-season has been outstanding so far, which it always is,” Arthur said. “But he has gone to another level. Just fitter, stronger, bigger. The whole lot. He just looks more comfortable.”

Arthur said he would hold off declaring what position Gutherson would play next year.

With Jarryd Hayne extremely unlikely to be back, Gutherson would be equally valuable at fullback or centre, with Bevan French the other option to wear the No.1 jumper.

Asked what Gutherson’s best position was, Arthur said: “The hard thing with Gutho is he can play anywhere and do the same job.

“It depends on what our options are in other positions as well. But he is just someone who no matter where we play he is going to play the same role for us. He wants to do what is best for the team.”
Ridiculous to compare captain's wages. Like the market sets the price.

Anyway, merkins around these parts say he's a poor leader.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Like whom?
I recall an enormously talented Eels U23 side coached by Gary Pethebridge many years ago. Hard to recall any who progressed as well as their skill suggested. At the time we had a succession of average first grade coaches post the Monie era.
I was of the opinion this new breed were the equal to the Sterlings, Grothes, Kennys, Ellas etc they just dissappeared. I would have loved to see what Jack Gibson would have made of them.
Maybe we will get the chance to see how our next generation perform under BA.
For whatever reason its worth noting Moses and Frenchs form this season.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
From what I've seen he's an opportunist. Primarily, being in the right place at the right time to take advantage of a situation. He appears to have good hands and a willingness to learn. I know he'll have to work hard to get an NRL start but I think he's got what it takes, especially considering his limited time in the game.

Anyone that goes from country footy (so not a lot of support) with no league background to an top 30 nrl spot in 3-4 years definitely has some talent!!

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
How is Semi going? Any chance he'd.be back in 2020?

He's apparently earning $1.6 million playing for Bordeaux. I'm sure he'd be getting playing fees for Fiji 7's and possibly Barbarians too.

While he's earning that sort of money over there he'd be stupid to come back to rugby league where he may earn half of that.

Eelogical

Referee
Anyone that goes from country footy (so not a lot of support) with no league background to an top 30 nrl spot in 3-4 years definitely has some talent!!
Agreed. He just needs to impress under the right guidance. It won't be easy and he'll make mistakes, but I reckon he's worth a shot if he aims up.

Chipmunk

Coach
He's apparently earning $1.6 million playing for Bordeaux. I'm sure he'd be getting playing fees for Fiji 7's and possibly Barbarians too.

While he's earning that sort of money over there he'd be stupid to come back to rugby league where he may earn half of that.

Is that $1.6m a season?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I recall an enormously talented Eels U23 side coached by Gary Pethebridge many years ago. Hard to recall any who progressed as well as their skill suggested. At the time we had a succession of average first grade coaches post the Monie era.
I was of the opinion this new breed were the equal to the Sterlings, Grothes, Kennys, Ellas etc they just dissappeared. I would have loved to see what Jack Gibson would have made of them.
Maybe we will get the chance to see how our next generation perform under BA.
For whatever reason its worth noting Moses and Frenchs form this season.
Moses and French have both played well under Arthur too. 2018 isn't more indicative of his coaching than any other year.