What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Jarryd Hayne sexual assault trials

AJB1102

First Grade
Guesses on the sob story that attempts to absolve him? Calling all creative writers.

Remember he's a good religious man, he says so himself.

This Year?

Immortal
For all the tin hat wearers you heard it here first. The whole munching thing was created so Hayne's value keeps the Eels under the cap.

Oh and f**k you Daily Telegraph!

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
He is a millionare he never needs to look at another price tag ever again
Firstly, whooooosh.

Secondly, he'll be looking at price tags for the rest of his life if he gets convicted. He'll probably be the bloke in coles putting them on.

Fire

First Grade
The procedure in New South Wales can be complicated. However, in Hayne's case it's about as straight-forward as investigation, arrest, and bail can get. Below is an outline of what has happened to Hayne so far:

- Police investigated Hayne's alleged offence and made a decision to prosecute.

- Police arrested Hayne without warrant.

- Hayne may now be subject to investigative procedures such as interviews, identity parades, collection of DNA, etc.

- Court attendance notice issued and/or served (not sure which in his situation) to Hayne.

- Hayne granted bail, conditions met, and he was released.

- Hayne now appears at Burwood Local Court on Monday 10 December 2018 to answer allegation.

The interesting issue in Hayne's case is the offence he is being prosecuted for is an indictable offence (and as such should be heard before a superior court (i.e., the District or Supreme Court)). If a prosecutor believes that Hayne is likely to serve more than two years' imprisonment he or she will elect to have the matter tried on indictment in the District (or Supreme) Court. As the prosecutor has elected to have the matter heard before a Local Court (where a magistrate, generally, cannot impose a penalty of more than two years' imprisonment) tells me that Hayne will likely plead guilty to a lesser offence and not serve a custodial sentence.

Long story longer: In my opinion Hayne won't do time and won't be convicted of aggravated sexual assault but may be convicted of a lesser offence.

I could be wrong.

SBD82

Coach
The procedure in New South Wales can be complicated. However, in Hayne's case it's about as straight-forward as investigation, arrest, and bail can get. Below is an outline of what has happened to Hayne so far:

- Hayne may now be subject to investigative procedures such as interviews, identity parades, collection of DNA, etc.

- Court attendance notice issued and/or served (not sure which in his situation) to Hayne.

- Hayne now appears at Burwood Local Court on Monday 10 December 2018 to answer allegation.

The interesting issue in Hayne's case is the offence he is being prosecuted for is an indictable offence (and as such should be heard before a superior court (i.e., the District or Supreme Court)). If a prosecutor believes that Hayne is likely to serve more than two years' imprisonment he or she will elect to have the matter tried on indictment in the District (or Supreme) Court. As the prosecutor has elected to have the matter heard before a Local Court (where a magistrate, generally, cannot impose a penalty of more than two years' imprisonment) tells me that Hayne will likely plead guilty to a lesser offence and not serve a custodial sentence.

Long story longer: In my opinion Hayne won't do time and won't be convicted of aggravated sexual assault but may be convicted of a lesser offence.

I could be wrong.
This sort of factual analysis has no place on the forum.

Shame on you.

T-Boon

Coach

I could be wrong.

That is a real picture of you isnt it.

T-Boon

Coach
As the prosecutor has elected to have the matter heard before a Local Court (where a magistrate, generally, cannot impose a penalty of more than two years' imprisonment) tells me that Hayne will likely plead guilty to a lesser offence and not serve a custodial sentence.

All criminal matters start in the local court, the DPP will be having a look at it to see whether they will take over from the police and it will probably be moved to the district court but that whole process can take many months.

Fire

First Grade
All criminal matters start in the local court, the DPP will be having a look at it to see whether they will take over from the police and it will probably be moved to the district court but that whole process can take many months.
Naturally.

But the issues that have been leaked to the media tell me Hayne can successfully defend an allegation of aggravated sexual assault.

Last Week

Bench

I could be wrong.

Close. Very close. He was served his court attendance notice whilst in custody. Thus, he has a court date and bail.

In regards to Jarryd pleading guilty to a lesser charge, it will depend on how Jarryd wants to play this. He has a image which has already been tarnished before this. He has virtually nothing to lose by fighting this all the way.

Even if he gets found not guilty, the public and people here have already made up their mind like the idiots that they are.

They will have already been made aware.

SBD82

Coach
Fun fact, these leaks have come from the prosecution side of things. Rather high up too.

They are absolutely furious that Jarryd was given bail.
The DPP and NSW police being at odds? Surely not.

It'll be bureaucrats at 20 paces.

Latest posts