What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The MMA Thread

shiznit

Coach
So UFC 234 in Melbourne Whittaker vs Gastelum has its Co-Main... Israel Adesanya vs Anderson Silva.

I might make the trip over for that one...

ebbedfred

Bench
So UFC 234 in Melbourne Whittaker vs Gastelum has its Co-Main... Israel Adesanya vs Anderson Silva.

I might make the trip over for that one...
Looking forward to this card already. Will be great to have a legend like Anderson on the card, just unfortunate for him that I think it ends in a very similar fashion to Ronda's trip to Melbourne. Anderson is fighting the prime version of himself, or very close to it.

Looking forward to this card already. Will be great to have a legend like Anderson on the card, just unfortunate for him that I think it ends in a very similar fashion to Ronda's trip to Melbourne. Anderson is fighting the prime version of himself, or very close to it.
Haha come on Israel looks the goods so far but get your hand off it

shiznit

Coach
Haha come on Israel looks the goods so far but get your hand off it
Pure striking wise I think Izzy is better than Anderson ever was... even in his prime.

But he ain’t Anderson Silva in his prime as the Spider had the TDD and even won big fights by submission...

Izzy has looked great so far but he needs to prove himself against tougher guys...

shiznit

Coach
Really? Not saying Israel will be as good as Anderson, but his striking is on that level. I'd be suprised if Anderson survives 2 rounds.
It’s a great fight for Anderson though... he doesn’t have to worry about the opponent taking him down.

I just hope Izzy keeps it classy and doesn’t talk too much shit... Anderson deserves respect,,, especially for taking this fight.

ebbedfred

Bench
Maybe "prime version" was a stretch, definitely younger version though is appropriate.

@shiznit yeah, I hope he respects Anderson too, the guy was a phenom for such a long time, such a hard puzzle to solve, and in reality, lost his title because he got bored and did silly things.

ebbedfred

Bench
Yeah, I was referring to Israel's striking being on par with the Anderson of old. No doubt, that Anderson has a better all round game. I just think Anderson will stand with Izzy, not saying he should, just think he will.

ebbedfred

Bench
Anyone watch Chuck and Tito? My god that was awful, really, REALLY bad. Was actually sad to watch and see how far Chuck in particular had declined.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Not a great day for Australasian MMA yesterday. Tuivasa, Hunt, Matthews and Pedro all losing on the same home card.

Tui needs to do some BJJ I reckon, throwing punches while on his back in mount...

shiznit

Coach
Not a great day for Australasian MMA yesterday. Tuivasa, Hunt, Matthews and Pedro all losing on the same home card.

Tui needs to do some BJJ I reckon, throwing punches while on his back in mount...
Kai Kara-France did the business...

I heard City Kickboxing is like 8-0 this year... 11-0 if you include Alex Volkanovski who trains his striking there....

Dan Hooker can make it 12-0 if he wins his fight next weekend vs Edson Barbosa... tough f**king fight though...

shiznit

Coach
My goodness Max Holloway is sooooo good...

Ortega was really game... and won the 3rd... but when Max decides to go up another level he just puts absolute hell on his opponent...

He’s just got another level...

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
When people say there are "levels to this" Max Holloways performance is a perfect example.

No matter who it was in front of him tonight, they weren't going to win. He is such a warrior.

Respect to Ortega, dudes heart but he was up against a savage today.

Not sure what's next for Max now that he has cleaned out the featherweight division.. Probably Conor, Khabib, Ferguson or Diaz up a weight class

shiznit

Coach
When people say there are "levels to this" Max Holloways performance is a perfect example.

No matter who it was in front of him tonight, they weren't going to win. He is such a warrior.

Respect to Ortega, dudes heart but he was up against a savage today.

Not sure what's next for Max now that he has cleaned out the featherweight division.. Probably Conor, Khabib, Ferguson or Diaz up a weight class
He is seriously the most improved fighter in UFC history IMO...

Rob Whittaker is up there... but what Holloway has done with the belt... the two ass whoppins he put on Aldo and then this dismantling of a reallty strong unbeaten contender in Ortega just gives him that title.

It’s like he’s just got a switch... it’s like he slowly builds... goes back and forth with his opponent and then he starts win the exchanges more frequently... then all of a sudden he just decides to go up another gear and just drowns them in the middle of the Octagon...

He’s the best FW ever... and still only 27... I can’t wait to see him at LW

shiznit

Coach
If he does go up then Volkanovski will be the champ before the end of 2019
Alex is a f**king MONSTER!

He’s coming on really strong... I know he’s doing his stand up these days in Auckland with Izzy & Dan Hooker and he’s looking better and better every time I see him.

I think if he beats Chad Mendes at the end of the month... and that’s a f**king tough, tough fight... he will be right in the mix for a shot at the belt...

Looking long term though... as much as I like Alex... I think Zabit is probably the next big thing in that division... he looks f**king unstoppable...

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
You're an NFL fan right @shiznit ?

Do you have any thoughts on UFC signing Greg Hardy? Have heard he is debuting soon on the same card as a woman who has been a victim of domestic abuse.

Is he worth the bad press that UFC is copping you reckon?

shiznit

Coach
You're an NFL fan right @shiznit ?

Do you have any thoughts on UFC signing Greg Hardy? Have heard he is debuting soon on the same card as a woman who has been a victim of domestic abuse.

Is he worth the bad press that UFC is copping you reckon?
I don’t like it... but it’s not because I’m against giving the guy a second chance..

I think the issue I have is the narrative being put out by the UFC and Dana in particular that he’s served his punishment and should be able allowed to make a living... that’s horseshit IMO...

I’m not sure if you’re familiar with his situation... but the guy hurt a woman really badly... there’s some really horrific statements and photographic evidence out there stating what he did...

But he was found guilty in court...

Now... he appealed the decision and because of a quirk in the Carolina court system when a jury appeal is taken the previous judges decision is quashed to allow a broader scope to the appeal as in a lot of systems you aren’t allowed to introduce anything new to an appeals trial.

In the case of Greg Hardy... when he appealed... the prosecution couldn’t build the case back up because the victim decided to leave the state. Basically Hardy paid off the victim to leave Carolina so the prosecution had to drop the case...

And because the previous decision was quashed... he got off...

His NFL career yanked though because everyone knew that the scumbag bought his way out of trouble...

He never showed any remorse or even apologised for what he did...

I don’t mind people getting 2nd or 3rd or even 4th chances... as long as they own up to what they did and serve some form of punishment... f**k his NFL career... he needed to serve jail time IMO...

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I don’t like it... but it’s not because I’m against giving the guy a second chance..

I think the issue I have is the narrative being put out by the UFC and Dana in particular that he’s served his punishment and should be able allowed to make a living... that’s horseshit IMO...

I’m not sure if you’re familiar with his situation... but the guy hurt a woman really badly... there’s some really horrific statements and photographic evidence out there stating what he did...

But he was found guilty in court...

Now... he appealed the decision and because of a quirk in the Carolina court system when a jury appeal is taken the previous judges decision is quashed to allow a broader scope to the appeal as in a lot of systems you aren’t allowed to introduce anything new to an appeals trial.

In the case of Greg Hardy... when he appealed... the prosecution couldn’t build the case back up because the victim decided to leave the state. Basically Hardy paid off the victim to leave Carolina so the prosecution had to drop the case...

And because the previous decision was quashed... he got off...

His NFL career yanked though because everyone knew that the scumbag bought his way out of trouble...

He never showed any remorse or even apologised for what he did...

I don’t mind people getting 2nd or 3rd or even 4th chances... as long as they own up to what they did and serve some form of punishment... f**k his NFL career... he needed to serve jail time IMO...
Cheers for the insight bro.

Yeah I'm not balls deep into the whole thing but I know a little bit about it. Especially the fact that he hasn't really owned it or shown any remorse as you say.

Just seemed odd to me that the UFC seems OK to cop all the heat in todays climate for a guy who, quite frankly, when faced with anyone in the top 10 or 15 will get found out badly.

I mean it's not like the CM punk thing where you give him a contract so you can get a whole new audience (WWE). Not sure any business really wants to appeal to the wife bashing demo..

Maybe they are looking at it like, ppl will pay to see this guy get his head kicked in.. Either way it just doesn't feel right and kind of hope they feed him to the black beast

Latest posts