What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos should be playing Great Britain /English Lions in NSW in 2019!

Stallion

First Grade
Another innept scheduling decision has robbed Australia's sporting public of viewing the Kangaroos v Great Britain Lions in Australia. This decision to not host the touring Lions team in Australia was based on "commercial reasons ".This reasoning is flawed. Not only would a Kangaroos v LIONS TEST be eagerly anticipated in NSW it is long overdue. These administrators whom have wrongly depicted and referred to the poorly scheduled and highly priced recent rugby league world cup games as the "commercial reason" have misread the Australian sports Public. Not only were many of the world cup games placed in poor locations they(the schedulers) showed an intent to not have England v Kangaroos in NSW. This fixture is long overdue and would be welcome as a prime time tv product and fixture in either Newcastle(33000 capacity stadium) or the new 30000 capacity stadium in Parramatta. Amazingly the NRL/ARLC has used "commercial" reasons as the excuse for not hosting at least one Lions test in Australia. This is a crucial mistake being made by rugby league administrators in Australia . Our kids and the general public are being drip fed international rugby league. The prime time exposure and lack of opportunity for fans to watch the Kangaroos is a blight on current rugby league administrators in Australia. This decision is as bad as not having the Kangaroos playing England in NSW during the recent world cup in Australia. Simply illogical and flawed to the core!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
You literally could have said all that in one or two sentences in one of the other threads talking about it.

This deserves better recognition & prominence than that! That NRL scheduling decision is amazingly innept and damaging for the code going forward.

Stallion

First Grade
I'd love to see this game be played next year but you are overstating the demand for it a little @Stallion. GB v Kangaroos in Sydney would pull about 20 - 25k

As I have stated before the administrators have misread Public demand for Kangaroos v England.It's immense ! Especially with the English players already in the NRL. It's a sure fire sellout in Newcastle and a definite sellout in West Sydney stadium. I hope you do not have any involvement in marketing the code. Your negativity toward rugby league drawing a big crowd in international football especially against England in NSW is concerning . I think you are also forgetting that the Kangaroos against England/GB would be a massive tv ratings winner on a main channel at 7pm in Australia. This is a massive mistake to not have this test happening in 2019! The relevance of international rugby league also takes a big hit with this timid and ignorant scheduling courtesy of the NRL.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
As I have stated before the administrators have misread Public demand for Kangaroos v England.It's immense ! Especially with the English players already in the NRL. It's a sure fire sellout in Newcastle and a definite sellout in West Sydney stadium. I hope you do not have any involvement in marketing the code. Your negativity toward rugby league drawing a big crowd in international football especially against England in NSW is concerning . I think you are also forgetting that the Kangaroos against England/GB would be a massive tv ratings winner on a main channel at 7pm in Australia. This is a massive mistake to not have this test happening in 2019! The relevance of international rugby league also takes a big hit with this timid and ignorant scheduling courtesy of the NRL.

I think you've misread public demand. The two teams (albeit GB in different shirts) could not fill Suncorp for the WC final last year, the WSS curiosity factor will have well worn off by October 2019 and Sydney don't generally turn out in big numbers for internationals anyway.

Do you have any other evidence that there is massive demand for this?

Stallion

First Grade
I think you've misread public demand. The two teams (albeit GB in different shirts) could not fill Suncorp for the WC final last year, the WSS curiosity factor will have well worn off by October 2019 and Sydney don't generally turn out in big numbers for internationals anyway.

Do you have any other evidence that there is massive demand for this?

You have ignored the exhorbitant ticket prices for this world cup final match for a sport that is supposedly trying to gain international relevance and recognition. The same exhorbitant ticket prices were in play for the tournament opening fixture in Melbourne for these two genuine rivals.I have alluded to high priced tickets and you ignore this? And its not as if there isnt enough English expats in NSW or for that matter the thousands that would visit? Let's get your ignorance out of the way first. The organisers of the 2017 world cup were wrong/incompetent and clearly mislead if advised to do what they did. It's sheer folly and disrespect to the code of rugby league that is taking place. Newcastle stadium would be full with extra seating used to make the capacity greater! However you deride this great game and its poorly catered for supporters with dismissive and ignorant judgements? Shamefull.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You have ignored the exhorbitant ticket prices for this world cup final match for a sport that is supposedly trying to gain international relevance and recognition. The same exhorbitant ticket prices were in play for the tournament opening fixture in Melbourne for these two genuine rivals.I have alluded to high priced tickets and you ignore this? And its not as if there isnt enough English expats in NSW or for that matter the thousands that would visit? Let's get your ignorance out of the way first. The organisers of the 2017 world cup were wrong/incompetent and clearly mislead if advised to do what they did. It's sheer folly and disrespect to the code of rugby league that is taking place. Newcastle stadium would be full with extra seating used to make the capacity greater! However you deride this great game and its poorly catered for supporters with dismissive and ignorant judgements? Shamefull.

Good to see your catch phrases haven't changed ;)

The ARL are really not interested in playing internationals if we're honest.
Very poor promotion of last years world cup here as they didn't want to damage the SOO brand, which they deem more important.

Stallion

First Grade
The ARL are really not interested in playing internationals if we're honest.
Very poor promotion of last years world cup here as they didn't want to damage the SOO brand, which they deem more important.

Absolutely agree. This is incongruous and against what the ARLC were strongly advised to do at an executive meeting held a few years ago in which noted sports lecturer/professor, David Rowe ,recommended the code push toward international relevance.

Pommy

Coach

There are a lot of English expats, the majority don’t care though. League is a minority sport in England.

Stallion

First Grade
There are a lot of English expats, the majority don’t care though. League is a minority sport in England.

Beg to differ! In fact when many of these expats (that you say don't follow RL) become fans of rugby league in Australia. So your stance against the code of rugby league being attractive to other demographics and nationalities is both closed minded and as per usual ignorant.

Pommy

Coach
Beg to differ! In fact when many of these expats (that you say don't follow RL) become fans of rugby league in Australia. So your stance against the code of rugby league being attractive to other demographics and nationalities is both closed minded and as per usual ignorant.

What? I’m not being closed minded, I just know the majority of English expats I know who didn’t support RL in England don’t here either.

Stallion

First Grade
What? I’m not being closed minded, I just know the majority of English expats I know who didn’t support RL in England don’t here either.

Yes you are close minded! Fancy thinking that people don't follow a dominant code/sport when moving to a new country/area!? Plenty of people do this. I know firsthand numerous immigrants whom have adopted rugby league as their sport of choice since relocating to this part of the world.(my father being one of many)You think that doesn't happen!? You are extremely close minded! Rugby league is able to attract fans from various demographics and nationalities. It just does not have the establishment backing/support that codes like union are propagated with and enjoy. Despite this , the code of rugby league can still grow although some on this site, like yourself ,do not think this way! ? It's a very hard ask for rugby league, but it is achievable despite the obstacles. Your attitude being a case in point.

Stallion

First Grade

YES. You are close minded. I have seen the opposite. As rugby league is a dominant football code here, many immigrants adopt a team. It's quite normal. I know of plenty whom have including my father.