What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20-40 rule under consideration

edabomb

First Grade

Fire

First Grade
2nolnc.jpg

LineBall

Juniors
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/29/20-40-kick-nrl-coaches-to-consider-trial-for-rule-proposal/

Why should the defensive team be penalised for a keeping a team in their own 20 metre zone by allowing this??

It may have merit if the rule only allowed for it on or before the 3rd tackle as it then becomes a risk for the attacking side.

Thinking about it - it maybe something teams naturally do early in the tackle count anyway. If you have been getting smashed for the first 5 tackles in the set and haven't made it out of the 20 - there's probably going to be a lot of pressure on the kicker. If a team is behind on the scoreboard and they want to try and get a repeat set, they may go for it early in the count.

Also - I wonder how much a fullback who can kick for the line would be worth? Imagine what would happen if fullbacks started kicking for touch if they field a kick within their own 20 metre zone all the time.

Exsilium

First Grade
Why do we get these random rules pop up that no one ever asks for? Like 7 tackle sets from 20m taps.

Cause the NRL are inept and think that changing the rules will allow for better flow and more opportunities when in fact, it needs the game to be played how it was for 100 years with minor tweaks.

Autistic as f**k

gUt

Coach
Aiming at a 20m stretch of sideline (40-20) is twice as hard as aiming at a 40m stretch (20-40) so why are the rewards the same?

Springs09

Juniors
Cause the NRL are inept and think that changing the rules will allow for better flow and more opportunities when in fact, it needs the game to be played how it was for 100 years with minor tweaks.

Autistic as f**k

But the rules they come up with aren't even in the same ball park as making the game flow better.

Who is sitting at the NRL going 'aw geez the fans aren't happy with the slowing-down tactics and cheating what can we do to make the game better? ...I know! A 20/40!'

beave

Coach
Aiming at a 20m stretch of sideline (40-20) is twice as hard as aiming at a 40m stretch (20-40) so why are the rewards the same?

isn’t this new rule your 20m to their 40m? It’s still a 40m kick window it’s just now slid 20m towards your goal line.

gUt

Coach
Yes but that doesn't change what I'm saying.

Under this proposed rule, if I have to find touch anywhere from their 40m back to their tryline, that's 40 metres (due allowance to angles and shit) I have to get the ball into touch.

Whereas under the 40-20 rule we have now, there's only 20 metres of sideline the kicker can use to get the reward.

It would seem theoretically (not really) twice as easy to get the scrum feed from this proposed rule.

IBM give me back the pipe you merkin

edabomb

First Grade

Under this proposed rule, if I have to find touch anywhere from their 40m back to their tryline, that's 40 metres (due allowance to angles and shit) I have to get the ball into touch.

Whereas under the 40-20 rule we have now, there's only 20 metres of sideline the kicker can use to get the reward.

It would seem theoretically (not really) twice as easy to get the scrum feed from this proposed rule.

Yeah realistically they probably only get another 5 or 10m to work with due to actual constraints of kicking strength. Good point though I wouldn't have considered it.

Reactions: gUt

gUt

Coach
Yeah realistically they probably only get another 5 or 10m to work with due to actual constraints of kicking strength. Good point though I wouldn't have considered it.

It gives the kicker more freedom to hoof the f**k out of it, take more advantage from getting a good run on it and worry less about precision.

Against this would be the comparative lack of team momentum.

Perth Tiger

Bench

Autistic as f**k

Pull your head in. If you had any knowledge at all you would realise changing rules willy nilly is about the last thing that would be associated with Autism.

Starting to get sick and tired of seeing this used as an insult around here!

beave

Coach

To say it’s ‘twice as hard’ for the conventional 40-20 as opposed to this new one’ is going down the path of that champagne post from a few years ago of a goal kicker being a 50/50 chance...... he’ll either kick it or he won’t........

I do get what your saying though mate, but I guess at the end of the day each kick has to go a minimum of 40m and then find the sideline.It’s a stupid rule though, I don’t think they’ll bring it in.