What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Dead Redemption 2

thorson1987

Coach
Finished the story mode so now working on getting 100%.

I love how they have done the KKK

Ran into them when they were doing an initiation. Bastards lit the cross on fire then half of them go up in flames. Pissed myself laughing.

Chased down the leader and lasso'd him. Carried him to the train tracks but got bored of waiting for the train so I just blew his head off.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Finished the story mode so now working on getting 100%.

Ran into them when they were doing an initiation. Bastards lit the cross on fire then half of them go up in flames. Pissed myself laughing.

Chased down the leader and lasso'd him. Carried him to the train tracks but got bored of waiting for the train so I just blew his head off.

That happened to me too (the initiation scene) , I decided to antagonise the leader, he said he'd stab me but didn't do anything so I casually was walking to my horse to get something, then he rushes at me and stabs me to death very quickly

thorson1987

Coach
That happened to me too (the initiation scene) , I decided to antagonise the leader, he said he'd stab me but didn't do anything so I casually was walking to my horse to get something, then he rushes at me and stabs me to death very quickly

Ran into 4 of them last night having an argument. 2 of them ended up on fire from their torches, lasso'd one of them then shot the 4th in the back as he ran. Dragged him to the water behind me but when I got there he had already died.

Springs09

Juniors
Having finished the 6 chapters I have to say how good it is to see the a video game finally use the whole narrative potential of the medium. Most video games try to be movies or television episodes, and their stories end up as sub-par. Red Dead Redemption 2 decided to damn that and made a narrative that can not really be done in movies or television.

There are 30+ fully realised characters that feel more real than most protagonists in other games. The amazing thing is you can go through the game without even noticing them, but if you wish, you can find so many characters with their own stories. I've noticed in the TV series I've watched this year that most are bloated and overlong (especially on Netflix) and usually have about 2-3 hours worth of plot pushed out to 10 hours with drawn out dialogue and subplots. RDR2 has about 3-4 seasons worth of story in one experience and that is only fully focusing on Arthur. If the other major members of the gang had a similar focus then if RDR2 were to follow the current TV style of long and bloated seasons, there would be hundreds of hours worth of story.

I found many of the missions to be repetitive, I lost count of how many missions had you steal something, get into a shootout then flee on horseback while they chase you. It's not a perfect experience by any means but I believe it has what is closest to a perfect protagonist we have seen so far. The other benefit of video game narrative is that you live Arthur's story, not just watch or read it. Rockstar used this better than any other game had before it and I can't remember feeling as close to a character as I did with Arthur in chapter 6. Arthur's story (depending how you play him of course) is also something a lot of men can relate to when it comes to doing what's right and trying to be a good man, which a lot of men struggle with in the modern world.

There has been a lot of games with good stories, but this is the first I think I've seen that actually uses the full narrative potential of video gaming. I believe because of this video games can be a better way to adapt a lot of books, as the restraints of time and structure are looser than in movies or television. You could experience all characters and all dialogue and all subplots without making it compulsory, just like this game.

As an aside, it was also refreshing to see Rockstar come up with a mature story without leaning on the current popular crutches of sex and profanity. It's the characters that make the story as it should be.

Having finished the 6 chapters I have to say how good it is to see the a video game finally use the whole narrative potential of the medium. Most video games try to be movies or television episodes, and their stories end up as sub-par. Red Dead Redemption 2 decided to damn that and made a narrative that can not really be done in movies or television.

There are 30+ fully realised characters that feel more real than most protagonists in other games. The amazing thing is you can go through the game without even noticing them, but if you wish, you can find so many characters with their own stories. I've noticed in the TV series I've watched this year that most are bloated and overlong (especially on Netflix) and usually have about 2-3 hours worth of plot pushed out to 10 hours with drawn out dialogue and subplots. RDR2 has about 3-4 seasons worth of story in one experience and that is only fully focusing on Arthur. If the other major members of the gang had a similar focus then if RDR2 were to follow the current TV style of long and bloated seasons, there would be hundreds of hours worth of story.

I found many of the missions to be repetitive, I lost count of how many missions had you steal something, get into a shootout then flee on horseback while they chase you. It's not a perfect experience by any means but I believe it has what is closest to a perfect protagonist we have seen so far. The other benefit of video game narrative is that you live Arthur's story, not just watch or read it. Rockstar used this better than any other game had before it and I can't remember feeling as close to a character as I did with Arthur in chapter 6. Arthur's story (depending how you play him of course) is also something a lot of men can relate to when it comes to doing what's right and trying to be a good man, which a lot of men struggle with in the modern world.

There has been a lot of games with good stories, but this is the first I think I've seen that actually uses the full narrative potential of video gaming. I believe because of this video games can be a better way to adapt a lot of books, as the restraints of time and structure are looser than in movies or television. You could experience all characters and all dialogue and all subplots without making it compulsory, just like this game.

As an aside, it was also refreshing to see Rockstar come up with a mature story without leaning on the current popular crutches of sex and profanity. It's the characters that make the story as it should be.

It was good but The Last Of Us is still at the top as far as story telling goes and its not even close imo

Springs09

Juniors
It was good but The Last Of Us is still at the top as far as story telling goes and its not even close imo

I disagree by that much it's not funny.

I'd seen the majority of Last of Us in the Walking Dead telltale the year before and a lot of apocalypse/zombie movies of the last decade. The old jaded man and the young bright girl relationship had been done a thousand times before too. The way it told the story was pretty good but the actual itself was no groundbreaking.

Anyway, the point of my post was not how good the story was, but rather how it used the full potential of the medium and how you could experience the complexity of the characters depending on how in-depth you wanted to go. Most games, including The Last of Us, are movie plots intercut with gameplay sequences.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Finally got around to playing online with a mate last night, have to admit, it’s exactly what I wanted. Going around with friends doing little story missions. We played the showdown mode once, don’t think I’ll play that much because I suck (and not a huge fan of the shooting mechanics), haven’t tried horse racing yet but that could be fun when I get a better horse (no offence Indy).
Loved this game in single player and the online is making me love it even more. Can see way too many hours being spent in its world.

Xcalibre

Juniors
RDR2 is the most overrated lame excuse for a video game ever. Filled with mundane chores and riding horses for tediously long trips.

GTA with horses I saw somebody say. Sounds about right and probably the same fans of those trash games.

Give me TLOU any day over RDR.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Just finished another chapter, awesome ending to chapter 3. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

Last edited:

Exsilium

First Grade
I've been playing the game in spurts of a couple hours or more.

I went back to God Of War and other games.

It doesn't get hold of me as much as others but its definitely an insight into how diverse games can and will be

Gm5

Juniors
got really into hunting animals to try complete the outfits from the trapper, took down most of the legendary animals pretty quick, and now only need a few perfect pelts and theyre all done

abpanther

Staff member
I'm still slowly working my way through the game, only up to Chapter 3 and about 45% through, doing lots of side missions like treasure hunts, legendary animals and anything else I find along the way!

Early on I was in a vicious cycle of not enough money and too many bounties, doing a few of the big treasure hunts and getting some gold bars certainly helps with getting yourself suited and booted with guns and nice gear.

I learnt that the Arabian horse doesn't unlock until Chapter 2 which explained why I couldn't find it, got it now and have completed most of the legendary animals. Got the legendary fish map yesterday and bought the special lures needed to catch them, caught my first one yesterday and man it was fun, took me about 20mins of casting and wrestling this thing before I finally managed to bring it in, a 18.8kg Gar.

I've been trying to do the challenges along the way, did the 9min dry horseride from Strawberry to St Denis, some of them are tougher than others (killing birds with tomahawks was fun).

Such a great game

Perth Tiger

Bench
I got this and finished it over the holidays. I found the game play good for the most part but tended to drag on a bit at times, some of those long horse rides and i don't have the patience for find hunt for those perfect pelts.

but I found the story narrative excellent. very memorable experience. The voice acting in particular I thought was very good

Got the game for Christmas. Unreal game.

Got massive yucks when you ride past the poor old sod trying to scrape his horses hoof and the horse kicks his skull in and takes off. Ol' Arthur comes out with a "Phwoar shit..."

Perth Tiger

Bench
I did enjoy those slow motion shots of some of the good kills.

I favoured a shot gun and it always got a laugh when it slow motioned a guy getting his head blown clean off

Latest posts