What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The greatest club side of all time (one year only)

TheDalek079

Bench
Limiting this to one year only (so people can't say Easts 1935-36-37, or St George 11 in a row, or Parra 1981-82-83), what do you think is the greatest club team of all time?

To me, as a Roosters fan, it would be hard to beat the legendary Easts team of 1935, with Dave Brown and co setting lots of records, or our fantastic team of 1975. But what about Manly 1996, with their unbelievable defence? or the star studded Canberra of 1994? The North Sydney team of 1922?

beave

Coach
do they have to have won the GF? Parra of 2001 were f**king phenomenal. I went to about 8 of their home games that year and they were head and shoulders above everyone....... until the GF.........

siv

First Grade
Teams that went through a single season undefeated. Not just Premiership but also minor competitions

betcats

Referee
Limiting this to one year only (so people can't say Easts 1935-36-37, or St George 11 in a row, or Parra 1981-82-83), what do you think is the greatest club team of all time?

To me, as a Roosters fan, it would be hard to beat the legendary Easts team of 1935, with Dave Brown and co setting lots of records, or our fantastic team of 1975. But what about Manly 1996, with their unbelievable defence? or the star studded Canberra of 1994? The North Sydney team of 1922?

Should we limit this to teams you actually saw play?

Valheru

Coach
Keeping it to premiers (that weren't stripped) of the NRL era, my top 5 would be

2000 Broncos
2013 Roosters
2017 Storm
1998 Broncos
2011 Manly or 2002 roosters

Parra 01 probably go to slot 2 had they have won that year.

First Grade
do they have to have won the GF? Parra of 2001 were f**king phenomenal. I went to about 8 of their home games that year and they were head and shoulders above everyone....... until the GF.........
Parramatta Eels Posit. Newcastle Knights
Brett Hodgson FB Robbie O'Davis
Luke Burt WG Timana Tahu
Jamie Lyon CE Matthew Gidley
David Vaealiki CE Mark Hughes
Jason Moodie WG Adam MacDougall
Michael Buettner FE Sean Rudder
Jason Taylor HB Andrew Johns (c)
Nathan Cayless (c) PR Josh Perry
Brad Drew HK Danny Buderus
Michael Vella PR Matt Parsons
Nathan Hindmarsh SR Steve Simpson
Ian Hindmarsh SR Ben Kennedy
Daniel Wagon LK Bill Peden
PJ Marsh INT Daniel Abraham
Andrew Ryan INT Paul Marquet
Alex Chan INT Glenn Grief
David Solomona INT Clinton O'Brien
Brian Smith Coach Michael Hagan

Looking at the teams side by side I personally think that Knights team was a much much better team and on the day that counted they showed it. But that is just my opinion

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Canberra 1994 immediately springs to mind.

If we weren't cap cheating I'd have probably thrown in Bulldogs 2002.

We were pretty good in 2012 as well but chucked a Parra '01 style effort in the Grand Final albeit not to the same scale.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
In my lifetime 1992 broncos, 1994 Canberra, 2009 Storm (broncos & Canberra would have been over the cap so might as well include the storm) & 2001 Parra. Parra was just an unbelievable team, they weren't the best players in the game in every position but they played unbelievably well together as a team. They were absolutely fantastic to watch.

beave

Coach

Parra during the whole year we’re vastly superior to newy. Their F/A was nearly 450 from memory. Sure you can line the players up side by side and I agree with you on paper, newy look much better but that eels teams were magnificent on the paddock. They literally shat the bed on GF night though.Newy were superb that night and ambushed them. I just think throughout the entire season Parra were much better.

The Roosters 1974 Grand final side would be up there -

Russell Fairfax
Jim Porter
John Brass
Mark Harris
Bill Mullins
John Peard
Johnny Mayes
Ian Mackay
Elwyn Walters
Ken Jones
Arthur Beetson
Barry Reilly
Ron Coote.

Of the above you had a three quarter line in Porter, Brass, Harris and Mullins who all were or went on to play for Australia, a halves combination in Peard and Mayes likewise. In the pack you had Walters (the hooker), Beetson and Coote as established Test players complemented by tough workers in Mackay and Jones (who played 1 test for great Britain in 1970) at prop with the original axe, Barry "Bunny" Reilly, complementing them all in the second row. Barry Reilly was the guy who taught Trevor Gillmeister the finer arts of tackling when Gilly was at the Roosters.

Talent wise they were probably better than the 1975 Grand Final team.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The Roosters 1974 Grand final side would be up there -

Russell Fairfax
Jim Porter
John Brass
Mark Harris
Bill Mullins
John Peard
Johnny Mayes
Ian Mackay
Elwyn Walters
Ken Jones
Arthur Beetson
Barry Reilly
Ron Coote.

Of the above you had a three quarter line in Porter, Brass, Harris and Mullins who all were or went on to play for Australia, a halves combination in Peard and Mayes likewise. In the pack you had Walters (the hooker), Beetson and Coote as established Test players complemented by tough workers in Mackay and Jones (who played 1 test for great Britain in 1970) at prop with the original axe, Barry "Bunny" Reilly, complementing them all in the second row. Barry Reilly was the guy who taught Trevor Gillmeister the finer arts of tackling when Gilly was at the Roosters.

Talent wise they were probably better than the 1975 Grand Final team.

Have to agree, I always thought the 1974 side was better than the 1975, mind you the 1975 wasn't too shabby ;)

Vic Mackey

Referee

I still remember thinking the Knights were absolute morals that day. As you say put the teams side by side and the Knights team shits all over it.

Have to agree, I always thought the 1974 side was better than the 1975, mind you the 1975 wasn't too shabby ;)

Yes but the 1975 GF team had a few additions like Schubert, due to injury they were missing Mark Harris and Russell Fairfax, whilst Barry Reilly started on the reserves bench due to an ankle injury which is why he only played the last 10 minutes of the game.

Latest posts