What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referee Arrested in Greece

siv

First Grade
RUGBY LEAGUE MATCH HALTED BY POLICE! Balkan Super League match between::flag_gr:Attica Rhinos :flag_rs:Radnicki Nis halted as police are called by @WorldPentathlon-endorsed Tasos Pantazidis. @RLEFofficial referee Aris Dardamanis seen in the photo being taken for questioning. @juliosynadinos https://t.co/X4QdjQsaDL

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Just a question, why would police arrest players and / or officials for playing any sport in the park? If I went to the park and played a version of Union (not that I would) with slightly different rules with some mates I can't see how I could get arrested for that. Add to it that the Balkan SL is amatuer so no one is profiting off of the name 'Rugby'. Am I missing something here?

siv

First Grade
Just a question, why would police arrest players and / or officials for playing any sport in the park? If I went to the park and played a version of Union (not that I would) with slightly different rules with some mates I can't see how I could get arrested for that. Add to it that the Balkan SL is amatuer so no one is profiting off of the name 'Rugby'. Am I missing something here?

Seems to stem from the prior Greek RL issues

Looks like World Rugby has also divercied themselves from this person

But he has political connections in Greece and now heads their Pentathlon organisation

He has successfully lobbied the Greek givernment to say say all RL in Greece needs to be run by WorldPentathlon

So when a game was scheduled he has the authority to deem it a illegal match and arrests the RELF referee from the Balkans SL

But I also see comments that there are 4 groups trying to take control of RL in Greece

siv

First Grade
The pentathlon federation of Greece claim to be the sole governing body of the sport of Rugby League, ever since pantazidis was expelled by RLIF, he used his political clout to get the govt. to 'give' RL to pentathlon, of which he had since become president.

langpark

First Grade
But I also see comments that there are 4 groups trying to take control of RL in Greece
FOUR!? hmm, not sure where that came from. But it's actually only two: Greek Federation of Modern Pentathlon and the RLIF-recognised Greek Rugby League Association.

I believe there will be some stories coming out over the next few days on some of the major RL sites regarding this topic, which will hopefully give some clarity to what is indeed a very messy situation.

Reactions: siv

deluded pom?

Coach
FOUR!? hmm, not sure where that came from. But it's actually only two: Greek Federation of Modern Pentathlon and the RLIF-recognised Greek Rugby League Association.

I believe there will be some stories coming out over the next few days on some of the major RL sites regarding this topic, which will hopefully give some clarity to what is indeed a very messy situation.
I don’t think the Modern Pentathlon is trying to take control of RL. I think it’s more a case of the Greek department of sport, prompted by Pantazidis, allocating RL to their remit. I doubt the Greek Federation of Modern Pentathlon has a clue what RL is.

deluded pom?

Coach
The pentathlon federation of Greece claim to be the sole governing body of the sport of Rugby League, ever since pantazidis was expelled by RLIF, he used his political clout to get the govt. to 'give' RL to pentathlon, of which he had since become president.
Do the MP federation claim to be the sole governing body of RL or was RL just foisted on them?

langpark

First Grade
I don’t think the Modern Pentathlon is trying to take control of RL. I think it’s more a case of the Greek department of sport, prompted by Pantazidis, allocating RL to their remit. I doubt the Greek Federation of Modern Pentathlon has a clue what RL is.
Yes, that was the case, until pantazidis became pentathlon president in 2016 (soon after his RLIF expulsion). He then used his political connections to persuade the ministry of sports to 'give' the sport to the pentathlon fed. Now, he's using it as a tool of revenge against the very players that walked out on him in 2015 en mass.

deluded pom?

Coach
Yes, that was the case, until pantazidis became pentathlon president in 2016 (soon after his RLIF expulsion). He then used his political connections to persuade the ministry of sports to 'give' the sport to the pentathlon fed. Now, he's using it as a tool of revenge against the very players that walked out on him in 2015 en mass.
But what I mean is that it’s not MP wanting to take control of RL. Pantazidis has used his political position to lump RL with MP so he still has power over the playing and organisation of RL.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Cant the RLIF just organise a hostile takeover of the Helenic Organisation?

This is a thing that RL seems to NEVER think of. Rather than just breaking away and fracturing the sport, why not just organise to take control of the established organisation?

And this isnt just with the national bodies. WHy dont RL people organise take-overs of RU clubs and run RL teams with union money.