What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA tv rights discussion

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
CH7 are not CH9.

CH7 will promote the shyte out of VFL as they broadcast that too, they will be instructed to promote it at every chance and have the staff to do it (they do it without encouragement). Good business

CH9 had this chance for years and never did.

I will read the scores, but will never tune into CH7, the VFL channel.

undertaker

Coach
To my surprise, Ch7 have been reasonably good today, much better than Ch9 was over the past decade. Commentary has been mostly straight to the point and not sidetracking too much like Ch9 did over the past few years (e.g. favourite pizza toppings), not to mention great to not have to put up with Nickelarse's 1001 superlatives.

The cross-promotion regarding AFL will definitely occur around January/February, mainly using the BBL matches to do it. But I feel most of their test match coverage vs India will be a significant improvement on the tripe Ch9 dished out for years.

Timbo

Staff member
To my surprise, Ch7 have been reasonably good today, much better than Ch9 was over the past decade. Commentary has been mostly straight to the point and not sidetracking too much like Ch9 did over the past few years (e.g. favourite pizza toppings), not to mention great to not have to put up with Nickelarse's 1001 superlatives.

The cross-promotion regarding AFL will definitely occur around January/February, mainly using the BBL matches to do it. But I feel most of their test match coverage vs India will be a significant improvement on the tripe Ch9 dished out for years.

I have to agree.

My thoughts from watching a solid chunk of both networks coverage is that they are both an astronomical improvement on the crap Nine has served up over the last decade.

Brayshaw and Fleming were occasionally grating, but they actually seemed fairly focused on the game at hand.

The three man call-and-respond format with a match caller + two experts worked well all day. The expert comments from Bhogle and Chopra were insightful. Where there has been banter, it has been light hearted and fun, not inside jokes about that time two commentators roomed together in Jamaica in 1997 and ha ha ha how funny was that.

There was one glaring annoyance, and that has been the continual agenda driving, axe grinding, I am very smart bullshit that Shane Warne continues to offer up. I’ve gone back to Seven every time he’s gone into the box because the prick just cannot help but make everything about him.

roofromoz

First Grade
I have to agree.

My thoughts from watching a solid chunk of both networks coverage is that they are both an astronomical improvement on the crap Nine has served up over the last decade.

Brayshaw and Fleming were occasionally grating, but they actually seemed fairly focused on the game at hand.

The three man call-and-respond format with a match caller + two experts worked well all day. The expert comments from Bhogle and Chopra were insightful. Where there has been banter, it has been light hearted and fun, not inside jokes about that time two commentators roomed together in Jamaica in 1997 and ha ha ha how funny was that.

There was one glaring annoyance, and that has been the continual agenda driving, axe grinding, I am very smart bullshit that Shane Warne continues to offer up. I’ve gone back to Seven every time he’s gone into the box because the prick just cannot help but make everything about him.

Heard a bit of Warney yesterday and was doing his customary foreplay move when mentioning M Waugh.

undertaker

Coach
If I could trade Shane Warne for Ricky Ponting, FOX would have the perfect commentary team imo

100% agree with you.

Looks like Shane Warne has brought the "lets tell a story from back in my day" schtick with him from Ch9 to Fox. Don't know if this has the finger prints of Brad "Flipping the burgers at McDonalds" McNamara all over it, now that he is the producer at Fox Cricket and this sort of banal conversations was dished out regularly in the commentary box when he was producer for Ch9's cricket coverage.

To think people have to pay to listen to his garbage...have no idea why Fox was so desperate to sign him up.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
100% agree with you.

Looks like Shane Warne has brought the "lets tell a story from back in my day" schtick with him from Ch9 to Fox. Don't know if this has the finger prints of Brad "Flipping the burgers at McDonalds" McNamara all over it, now that he is the producer at Fox Cricket and this sort of banal conversations was dished out regularly in the commentary box when he was producer for Ch9's cricket coverage.

To think people have to pay to listen to his garbage...have no idea why Fox was so desperate to sign him up.

I’m very seriously thinking of cancelling my fox subscription due to Warne, he is on far too much for my liking, and 90% of what comes out of his mouth is either deluded, cringeworthy or downright pathetic.

The small percentage he talks well he is good, but you have so many others there I’d rather listen to anyway

Timbo

Staff member
I’m very seriously thinking of cancelling my fox subscription due to Warne, he is on far too much for my liking, and 90% of what comes out of his mouth is either deluded, cringeworthy or downright pathetic.

The small percentage he talks well he is good, but you have so many others there I’d rather listen to anyway

I'm with you mate - we have the streaming Fox at my place and we normally cancel it at the end of the regular footy season, as all we watch it for is sport and my wife doesn't really watch any. I convinced my wife to keep it on over the summer for the cricket, and I basically watched that whole test on Seven because I just could not f**king handle Warne's commentary and you're right - he seemed to be on the air way more than the other commentators.

I don't know what I'm paying for at this point. I'll probably kill it and switch to Kayo next footy season.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Ive sort of been flicking between the two just to compare both commentary teams and coverages. I dont know which one to prefer both seem to be ok, only thing is the obvious one, no ads on Fox and will continue past 6pm.

One thing that surprises me is that number of pubs that have it on Channel 7. The other day it was getting towards 6 and they were prepared to switch the channel to 7mate, although this wouldnt be an issue if they had it on Fox.

With regards to the commentators, both teams have been quite good. The 7 one apparently was controversial as they opted to go for main sports callers rather ex cricketers call the cricket, although I dont mind this.

Fox are all cricketers, aside from Mark Howard, but Im used to him calling BBL.

Its nice to have Harsha in the box. Hes been around for years and I enjoyed his commentary on ABC, particularly with Kerry O'Keefe.

Warnes commentary hasnt surprised me with his stories and trying to tell Paine which fieldsman goes where and who to bowl first. I dont agree with him batting Starc up the order. I get what hes saying but on this pitch I dont think it wouldve worked.

Ponting is a good commentator and I could listen to him all day. Chopra isnt too bad, infact with him and Bogle its a first in a long time that we've had an Indian commentator for an Aus/Ind series since probably Gavaskar in the 90s.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I've only got 7 atm and its been ok, a definite improvement on 9.

No one is trying to out do each other and the inane boys club chat has been toned down. No one has told Slater though who is a pitiful creature trying to impress everyone.

The 1 caller 2 experts is working well with even Tim Lane and Brayshaw, known wankers, bearable in small doses. Ponting is excellent still as is Gillespie.Mcgrath who used to buy into the boys club is much better. Fleming is a boring, repetitive wank but, again bearable in this format. Again, Slater has missed the memo and thinks he's still at nine, talking over the main callers and calling the ball by ball when he should stfu.

I'm not sure about talking to players/coaches in breaks of play etc - I'm not sure you gain anything but cliches.

The coverage, visual wise is pretty stock standard.

My advice to seven - get rid of that painful little merkin Slater and resist cross promotion of shit shows like my kitchen rules or the AFL shit and you'll do fine.

JW

Coach
One Test doesn't make a summer, but I found Seven's coverage of the actual game to be mostly watchable - which is streets ahead of expectations.

Very easily lost interest in their pre/post session chatter though, unless it involved certain former players talking amongst themselves. Outside that, it was Seven's usual cringe-a-minute sports production, VFL glorification and other Victorian-centric nonsense.

But the game coverage itself was pretty standard, nothing really out of the ordinary. As expected, Flem was at times annoying and Brayshaw was exclusively annoying. And, of course, there's Slats. Pidge is still a bit crap as a comm, but much improved on his brief stints in the Nine box over the years. Dizz is at a similar level, but plenty of room for improvement and, importantly, he's not a massive wanker. I thought Punter was good - was able to engage in some good talking points where he couldn't in the Big Bash. Chopra pretty good as well. On the fence about Lane - he's OK when he sticks to the Cricket. I thought Mitchell was pretty good as a lead voice, offers more than Guha IMO.

As for Fox, Warne is dragging their team down like the Marsh family - and he's on too much. Not a fan of Howie. Harsha good value as always. The rest vary between bearable and decent enough.

Pick the best 4 or so out of each and there's a pretty good commentary team to be had. Unfortunately, they're split kind of evenly, hence the channel flicking.

Eelectrica

Referee
From what I was able to watch, mostly on weekends 7's commentary wasn't bad. Dizzy, punter and McGrath were actually insightful.
Not sorry I missed Warne.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Just wanted to throw in a wrong thread comment.

Got to be trendy and all....................

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Ive been watching the Fox coverage most of the series, commentary has been good, but when I happened to go somewhere that have Foxtel, 7s hasnt been bad either, even the segments during the lunch and tea break.

Although someone at Fox needs to do some research on the correct years when using old footage.

For example they were showing Gilchrists run out in a test match with year showing 1998, even though he debuted in 1999.

Also a howler when they showed Vaughan dropping a catch in the Ashes in Brisbane, year displayed was 2005. It was definitely 2002.

Timbo

Staff member
Having watched the first few days of the Australian Open, I'm bloody glad the cricket is gone from Nine. Their coverage has been the usual half-assed mess that only Channel Nine can bring to sports coverage.

Bazal

Post Whore
Having watched the first few days of the Australian Open, I'm bloody glad the cricket is gone from Nine. Their coverage has been the usual half-assed mess that only Channel Nine can bring to sports coverage.

Yep. It's been awful

Fox and Seven's coverage both have their low points, but they also do both have high points. Nine hasn't had a high point since the 90s.

Latest posts