What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Both halves and Katoa not training so not sure how much actual ball work
I remember once we were looking dangerous then Hetherington passed it behind someone, they had stop, go back, catch it then accelerate again. That gave the defense time to scramble and we didn't make half break or a line break despite having a good shot at it.

Forwards have to pass here and there too and some of them improving a bit can only be a good thing.

Karnivayne

Juniors
Both halves and Katoa not training so not sure how much actual ball work
Egan, May, Luai Vs Katoa, Cleary, Maloney... At this stage in pre season those guys fit enough for early pre season would be more than adequate to run through drills... Egan and Luai wouldnt be far off starting, May maybe a lock or impact sub...

Kilkenny

Coach
Some people are happy to accept mediocrity. Nothing wrong with that but we can and should be better then we are

That’s simply not true Franklin. We go into 2019 on the back of three consecutive top 8 finishes, three consecutive elimination finals wins and three consecutive heart breaking losses in week two of the finals series where in each won we were not disgraced and had our chances in each game to progress to the GF play off game. There were approximately 47 seasons prior to the last three and I would suggest we have been better in the last three that the the preceding 47 other than the obvious.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Some people are happy to accept mediocrity. Nothing wrong with that but we can and should be better then we are
Happy with mediocrity? Weren't you the one saying Cronulla are fine without Luke Lewis because they're bringing in Josh Morris?

We could win the comp and all of the fans and players would be partying at Panthers whilst you're on here talking about how awkward Ivan Cleary looked when he was lifting the trophy.

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
Happy with mediocrity? Weren't you the one saying Cronulla are fine without Luke Lewis because they're bringing in Josh Morris?

We could win the comp and all of the fans and players would be partying at Panthers whilst you're on here talking about how awkward Ivan Cleary looked when he was lifting the trophy.

Just gonna remind everyone that Melbourne were bundled out of the finals series 3 times in a row with their smith/slate/gi/cronk team before making the grand final.

mxlegend99

Referee
Just gonna remind everyone that Melbourne were bundled out of the finals series 3 times in a row with their smith/slate/gi/cronk team before making the grand final.
Storm made the 2006 grand final.

Greg Inglis only made his debut in 2005 playing 13 games split between fullback, wing, bench and 1 game at centre. His first proper season was 2006 where he was centre and backup fullback. But he played a grand final in his second season.

Cooper Cronk made his debut in 2004. But for the 2004 and 2005 seasons he was only a utility / backup half. Like Inglis his first proper season was also 2006. Although even counting those seasons it was still only his 3rd sesson of NRL.

The Storm 2005 team to be eliminated had Scott Hill and Matt Orford in the halves.slater didnt play so it was a GI at fullback game.

2006 was the first year the big 4 really got to play together.if we are even half as successful as they were for the next 12 seasons I think every fan here would be absolutely stoked. Make a couple of grand finals. Get a win. That's the goal and if we dont achieve it once under Gus we have failed.

franklin2323

Immortal
Storm made the 2006 grand final.

Greg Inglis only made his debut in 2005 playing 13 games split between fullback, wing, bench and 1 game at centre. His first proper season was 2006 where he was centre and backup fullback. But he played a grand final in his second season.

Cooper Cronk made his debut in 2004. But for the 2004 and 2005 seasons he was only a utility / backup half. Like Inglis his first proper season was also 2006. Although even counting those seasons it was still only his 3rd sesson of NRL.

The Storm 2005 team to be eliminated had Scott Hill and Matt Orford in the halves.slater didnt play so it was a GI at fullback game.

2006 was the first year the big 4 really got to play together.if we are even half as successful as they were for the next 12 seasons I think every fan here would be absolutely stoked. Make a couple of grand finals. Get a win. That's the goal and if we dont achieve it once under Gus we have failed.

Look at the money put into the club for the off field. Does just making finals make it worth it? I think not

franklin2323

Immortal
You spent years defending Griffins mediocre results.

I spent years saying it was a building block... Looking back it was a wasted 3 years. I pointed to the Storm in the early days of the big 3 only they let something build as did Manly in the same time

Hiku was mentioned. He would of been on decent coin considering his age and test player etc. he lasted 18 months and was gone. Let's say he was on $300k. Surely there was someone who was in the long term plans that that could of been spent on.

Merrin, Moylan, Bryce all re-signed end of 2016. While all had issue there is no way their issues ALL happened after the signed the extension. Why the rush to extend them?

When we let TMM go. Who was signed as replacement? We only had 2 halves on the roster yet one leaves. We keep it as it is.

12 months ago. CHN speaks to Sharks and WT ( Nathan confirmed he met with Ivan) we fight to re-sign him and then let him go. We could of played Martin or Ellis in his place and they would been a year further developed.

Then there was hook. Results show it was decent enough. Behind the scenes not so. Again if we fired not re-signed we would be further along.

I didn't rate Ivan but surely you could of left the decision until mid the next year. We seem to re-sign guys too soon and fire too soon.

franklin2323

Immortal
That’s simply not true Franklin. We go into 2019 on the back of three consecutive top 8 finishes, three consecutive elimination finals wins and three consecutive heart breaking losses in week two of the finals series where in each won we were not disgraced and had our chances in each game to progress to the GF play off game. There were approximately 47 seasons prior to the last three and I would suggest we have been better in the last three that the the preceding 47 other than the obvious.

We lost a coach and 8 from our top 30. 4 of those played in our semi final series. Another was the captain... That is very close to a rebuilding cleanout

franklin2323

Immortal

No moving Moylan to fullback is the why they will finish in front of us. Johnson is a far better half.

They won Flegg. They have the NSW u20's centres... Having Morris allows them to not have to pick those centres in FG every week.

I guess we see in a few years which way is best for the young guys

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
No moving Moylan to fullback is the why they will finish in front of us. Johnson is a far better half.

They won Flegg. They have the NSW u20's centres... Having Morris allows them to not have to pick those centres in FG every week.

I guess we see in a few years which way is best for the young guys
It seems as though they'll have to win 3 or 4 more games than us to finish in front next year

betcats

Referee
I spent years saying it was a building block... Looking back it was a wasted 3 years. I pointed to the Storm in the early days of the big 3 only they let something build as did Manly in the same time

Hiku was mentioned. He would of been on decent coin considering his age and test player etc. he lasted 18 months and was gone. Let's say he was on $300k. Surely there was someone who was in the long term plans that that could of been spent on.

Merrin, Moylan, Bryce all re-signed end of 2016. While all had issue there is no way their issues ALL happened after the signed the extension. Why the rush to extend them?

When we let TMM go. Who was signed as replacement? We only had 2 halves on the roster yet one leaves. We keep it as it is.

12 months ago. CHN speaks to Sharks and WT ( Nathan confirmed he met with Ivan) we fight to re-sign him and then let him go. We could of played Martin or Ellis in his place and they would been a year further developed.

Then there was hook. Results show it was decent enough. Behind the scenes not so. Again if we fired not re-signed we would be further along.

I didn't rate Ivan but surely you could of left the decision until mid the next year. We seem to re-sign guys too soon and fire too soon.

I wouldn't say it was a wasted 3 years. But we certainly didn't achieve what we could've with a decent coach IMO.

You talk about everything like its black and white, things change and so must our plans. Every single clubs does similar things to what we dId its not unsual at all. Managing a squad and salary cap isn't set and forget, its a fluid situation.

Ellis and Martin might not of been ready, for all we know it could've ruined them or lost a lot more games if we threw them in too early.

franklin2323

Immortal
I wouldn't say it was a wasted 3 years. But we certainly didn't achieve what we could've with a decent coach IMO.

You talk about everything like its black and white, things change and so must our plans. Every single clubs does similar things to what we dId its not unsual at all. Managing a squad and salary cap isn't set and forget, its a fluid situation.

Ellis and Martin might not of been ready, for all we know it could've ruined them or lost a lot more games if we threw them in too early.

injuries, Poor coaching, Poor roster in certain areas all contributed. Like I said if it becames stable he sky is the limit. The thing is it takes 2 or so seasons for a new coach to get the roster how they want so it may continue

Of course others do it and 15 clubs get it wrong every year. You think those clubs ask what can they or could they of done different. Where we are different is we seem to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result