What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Undoubtedly, the players, coaching staff and back office all contributed to the shit show that was 2018.
Agreed.

However, there is evidence that indicates the players have been held to account with the club actively shopping around the halves and there were also rumours French was given permission to seek interest externally.
Held to account by the coach? Good job coach!

Max has stood down as Chairman and we seem to be putting more resources into the footy club. It could be argued that at least to some degree, the Board has been held to account and have replaced the Chairmanship with someone that won’t make decisions solely on their fiscal merit.
Baby steps. But agree, they are at least in the right direction.

However, the only group from that trio of shitness who have come out completely unscathed is the coaching staff. As far as I can tell, every coaching staff member linked to the 1st grade squad in 2018 is still at the club. Even AFL guy kept his position after rolling out such a poorly conditioned footy team at the start of the year.

I think it is actually appropriate that people like @hineyrulz focus on the coaching department (whilst not absolving the other muppets) because it seems they haven’t been held accountable.
You are just basing that on a binary "he is here" or "he isn't here" scale.

"As far as you can tell" = You don't really know.

He could have been given some very firm instructions for 2019. I guess we'll find out the truth next year.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Agreed.

Held to account by the coach? Good job coach!

Baby steps. But agree, they are at least in the right direction.

You are just basing that on a binary "he is here" or "he isn't here" scale.

"As far as you can tell" = You don't really know.

He could have been given some very firm instructions for 2019. I guess we'll find out the truth next year.
I’m basing it on the fact they are all here.

Of course the players should be held to account by the coach (although even that was lacking during the season). The assistant coaching staff should also be held to account by the head coach and/or HoF...this hasn’t happened. The head coach should be held accountable by the CEO...this hasn’t happened. The CEO should be held to account by the Board...this hasn’t happened. The Board should be held to account by the members...they haven’t had the opportunity to do that yet.

In my opinion 2018 was a big enough disaster that heads should have rolled, beyond the halves who seem to be the coaching staff’s scapegoats.

Last edited:

IFR33K

Coach
No single coach can save us on his own. We are a poorly run basket case. There are fundamental issues at our club that are much more important than whether we did or drop Jennings.

Which coach do you think can magically pull us out of the shit if we continue to be managed by f**ktards?

There’s no magic trick that’s going to get us out of this mess. What I’d like to see is a coach with vision, tactics, a game plan to suit us and the opposition, good recruitment strategies and one that’s going to have the balls to make tough decisions. Like Many have stated previously, BA has made some monumental f ups, in particular with recruitment. Whether it’s large back ended deals or paying overs to ageing ‘stars’, whatever BA is doing just isn’t working.

If BA fails next year, then we have no choice but to make the call on him IMO.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
There’s no magic trick that’s going to get us out of this mess. What I’d like to see is a coach with vision, tactics, a game plan to suit us and the opposition, good recruitment strategies and one that’s going to have the balls to make tough decisions. Like Many have stated previously, BA has made some monumental f ups, in particular with recruitment. Whether it’s large back ended deals or paying overs to ageing ‘stars’, whatever BA is doing just isn’t working.

If BA fails next year, then we have no choice but to make the call on him IMO.
Coach, smoach. Its just bandaid shit.

Change it to whoever, I dont give a f**k.

Until we become professionally run and administered club, it isn't going to help us in the long term.

Bolgeel

Juniors
At what point is a line drawn through the sand, and he’s held accountable???

Yes he’s passionate, yes he did well in 2016 during tough times, yes like us he loves the eels.

But F*#k me the negatives are starting to outweigh the positives.

His team selections, his recruitment strategies, his paying of overs and his game plans have just been too much to bear. And don’t get me started on his attempts to move half his team on this season. He’s been here 5 years and we’re just marginally ahead of where he took over all those years ago.
Surely were not debating the fact that BA will be coach in 2019...again?
We were along with the coach, atrocious this year. On this we can all agree
2019 will prove many things and it will take an enormous turnaround to save his hide, otherwise the new focus on development and a potential new coach to lead us into 2020 when we will have squillions to spend will be very exciting!
I think we should see 2019 as a transition season imo

Avenger

Immortal
Coach, smoach. Its just bandaid shit.

Change it to whoever, I dont give a f**k.

Until we become professionally run and administered club, it isn't going to help us in the long term.
The time has come now my friend. The new stadium will demand it and if we don’t hit the ground running and have immediate success it will inhibit our ability to attract new players to the club at a reasonable price.

Whoever is the coach, cannot allow a situation where we pay desperate money like we did for Foran in 2016.

People can talk about the sombrero as much as they like but players still wants to win comps and this is why they join successful clubs like the Roosters and to a lesser extent Cronulla. You cannot tell me the Sharks have superior corporate support than us. It’s all about success and the increased chances of winning a comp which is still a grail for most players.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The time has come now my friend. The new stadium will demand it and if we don’t hit the ground running and have immediate success it will inhibit our ability to attract new players to the club at a reasonable price.
We need to think beyond the short term. That's been our problem for the last 15 years.

Whoever is the coach, cannot allow a situation where we pay desperate money like we did for Foran in 2016.
Another hindsight genius who has changed his opinion after the fact. We did not pay 'desperate money' for Foran when he was signed based on his form and stature at the time. Bullshit statement.

People can talk about the sombrero as much as they like but players still wants to win comps and this is why they join successful clubs like the Roosters and to a lesser extent Cronulla. You cannot tell me the Sharks have superior corporate success to us. It’s all about success and the increased chances of winning a comp which is still a grail for most players.
Which comes from being a well run club.

emjaycee

Coach
I’m basing it on the fact they are all here.

Of course the players should be held to account by the coach (although even that was lacking during the season). The assistant coaching staff should also be held to account by the head coach and/or HoF...this hasn’t happened. The head coach should be held accountable by the CEO...this hasn’t happened. The CEO should be held to account by the Board...this hasn’t happened. The Board should be held to account by the members...they haven’t had the opportunity to do that yet.

In my opinion 2018 was a big enough disaster that heads should have rolled, beyond the halves who seem to be the coaching staff’s scapegoats.
What exactly do you mean by "held accountable"?

Are you expecting that we should have sacked everyone on the NRL side of the business from the Board down or just some of them?

emjaycee

Coach

People can talk about the sombrero as much as they like but players still wants to win comps and this is why they join successful clubs like the Roosters and to a lesser extent Cronulla. You cannot tell me the Sharks have superior corporate support than us. It’s all about success and the increased chances of winning a comp which is still a grail for most players.
And yet we have signed 2 top 17 players from last years premiers in the last 2 years.

Interesting.

Avenger

Immortal
Another hindsight genius who has changed his opinion after the fact. We did not pay 'desperate money' for Foran when he was signed based on his form and stature at the time. Bullshit statement.
We all found out later on about the famous clause where he could leave at any time and still cash in on his money. That's why the NRL refused to register it and it had to be changed. You just have Alzheimer's you silly prick.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We all found out later on about the famous clause where he could leave at any time and still cash in on his money. That's why the NRL refused to register it and it had to be changed. You just have Alzheimer's you silly prick.
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me....
wank.gif

Latest posts