What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

IFR33K

Coach
I think people are to inpatient with juniors.
Bevan will be 23. His 2017 and 2018 season never got going with injuries making it stop start. He deserves this season behind a better pack.
Marata is 22. Some guys only start NRL career at this stage.

I’m not being impatient. French’s only position should be fullback. He isn’t a winger, gone are the days of the 80kg winger. BA is the one that should persevere with him at fb.

hindy111

Post Whore
I’m not being impatient. French’s only position should be fullback. He isn’t a winger, gone are the days of the 80kg winger. BA is the one that should persevere with him at fb.

Agree. I prefer big wingers.
But Ado carr is only slightly bigger. And if we where able to create space for Bevan his speed can help in defense and attack. The duke always would say you cant beat speed. It scares oppositions.

TheRam

Coach
Fair point Ram.

The quality of coaches that we have signed over the years hasn’t been great. It’s one of the reasons why I have been saying that if we replace BA it needs to be with an absolute gun. We don’t want another plodder.

I’m not confident our board are smart enough to make the right decision though.

After all, a strong coach makes their job harder.

Spot on. But I can't think of a real gun coach that would be available in 2020 though, can you or anyone else on this forum?

I think our only hope is to unearth a Trent Robinson of our own. Good luck...hahahaha...

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
Imo 2019 will be a transition year (yes I know every year since 1986 has been a transition year!) where we finally clear the decks and get rid of the under-performing and over-paid players, For 2020 we could have up to 10 players in our team that are juniors. Juniors willing to play for the club and not just for the money, willing to bust a gut to play and win. All we need is a good coach to harness to talent available and buy good players to fill the positions we're weak in.

The current group of juniors has been the best since the late 70s and early 80s and around 2009 when Hayne, Mateo and Inu came into the team. If you look at the juniors promoted thru the years its been a very poor return on the money spent.

Mate, I wouldn't be counting my chickens just yet. How long have you been a supporter? There has been way to many false starts. Any 30+ year old Parra supporter should be aware of that.

So far in the past 5 years Alvaro for mine has been the pick of the best juniors we've seen come through and as much as I have liked him since his junior years and he has come on just nicely for a front rower, one guy of good NRL standard is hardly making me net with excitement.

Lets just see, what happens in the next couple of years why don't we?

Oh I just thought of Junior Paulo. But wait...he doesn't count anyway cos he left the dirty merkin and besides his fat.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You could also argue that the Broncos’ decision on Bennett (advising he wouldn’t be re-signed) was holding him accountable. The Panthers’ decision on Griffin was certainly holding him accountable. Leaving it up in the air, as is the case with BA, is not.
Griffin was obviously replaced to make it easier to pay the Cleary family outside the cap. What was Bennett held accountable for? The Broncos performed highly under him, but their management wanted the next big thing in coaching and they knew they could get him.

TheRam

Coach
I don’t think we had a shit board back when we hired Gibson. It probably slackened a bit during the successful years and then devolved completely during the Smith years.
Shit boards are unlikely to higher the creme de la creme simply because they are shit and the best coaches don’t want to be involved with a shit storm.
Our best hope will be a long stream of highly ambitious coaches that provide results but aren’t able to influence the board

I beg to differ. They were armatures who hired a potato delivery guy, who ended up strangling them.

Griffin was obviously replaced to make it easier to pay the Cleary family outside the cap. What was Bennett held accountable for? The Broncos performed highly under him, but their management wanted the next big thing in coaching and they knew they could get him.
They thought they could get Green and Bellamy too.

TheRam

Coach
Changes also buys time.
The duke makes changes and it buys him time.
I wonder the same with SK and Johnson. Was he really the problem? SK now has a scapegoat and a free ride for 2019. A rebuild is now underway so to speak. Had Johnson stayed and NZ flopped SK is given the bullet along with his coaching career. 2019 is now about 2020 for them.

Hindy, I reckon that someone like Brian Smith would of had a little whisper in SK's ear? What do you reckon?

strider

Post Whore
We all found out later on about the famous clause where he could leave at any time and still cash in on his money. That's why the NRL refused to register it and it had to be changed. You just have Alzheimer's you silly prick.
Dunno how much responsibility to put on dumb f**k seward who set that contract up at the time

84 Baby

Referee
I beg to differ. They were armatures who hired a potato delivery guy, who ended up strangling them.
Well it’s before my time but it seems to me that a poorly run club would’ve gone under in that period.
Anyway it’s kinda beside the point because there were different boards from Gibson era to Smith to now. If one board hiring the best coach is uncommon, multiple, unrelated boards fluking it would be powerball winnings odds

hindy111

Post Whore
Hindy, I reckon that someone like Brian Smith would of had a little whisper in SK's ear? What do you reckon?

Of course. I think it was a poor decision by the warriors. With Luke,Rts,Green and Johnson they should of been looking towards 2019 as a top 4 shot.
Smith also needs to help build the squad and this also buys him time.He is making decisions and changes and fans love that shit.

But doesn't make it right.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There’s no magic trick that’s going to get us out of this mess. What I’d like to see is a coach with vision, tactics, a game plan to suit us and the opposition, good recruitment strategies and one that’s going to have the balls to make tough decisions. Like Many have stated previously, BA has made some monumental f ups, in particular with recruitment. Whether it’s large back ended deals or paying overs to ageing ‘stars’, whatever BA is doing just isn’t working.

If BA fails next year, then we have no choice but to make the call on him IMO.
What he’s doing is taking risks. These are unavoidable at a club like ours. Sometimes these risks have paid off (2017) and sometimes they have crashed (2018). Don’t write off 2019.

IFR33K

Coach
What he’s doing is taking risks. These are unavoidable at a club like ours. Sometimes these risks have paid off (2017) and sometimes they have crashed (2018). Don’t write off 2019.

He’s been taking risks since he got here. It hasn’t worked. A new strategy is required.

Bolgeel

Juniors
Imo 2019 will be a transition year (yes I know every year since 1986 has been a transition year!) where we finally clear the decks and get rid of the under-performing and over-paid players, For 2020 we could have up to 10 players in our team that are juniors. Juniors willing to play for the club and not just for the money, willing to bust a gut to play and win. All we need is a good coach to harness to talent available and buy good players to fill the positions we're weak in.

The current group of juniors has been the best since the late 70s and early 80s and around 2009 when Hayne, Mateo and Inu came into the team. If you look at the juniors promoted thru the years its been a very poor return on the money spent.
Wouldn’t it be nice to go all out and pay top dollar for the best coach, the problem is traditionally no amount of $$ would attract even the Bellamy’s of this world..maybe one day we can have the culture and management to do so

Bolgeel

Juniors
Some positive signs but we still have a long way to go to gain the respect of our fans let alone the fans of other clubs.

To seal the deal we need some better people in the front of house than Bernie et al.
I believe Bernie is a good ceo and can be great without the restraints of a post apocalyptic board...at least I hope so