What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights 2019 Team

PhilGould

Bench
It will seemingly come down to Sione vs Barnett for the last bench spot. Arguments could be made for both of them, personally I'd lean towards Sione because of his versatility.

slotmachine

First Grade
That made more sense when Mann wasn't a lock for the utility imo.

Barnett won player of the year 2017, brown obviously loves him (straight back into the starting side for Round 1 with no preseason/trials), can play edge and middle.

Sione makes less sense to me when Guerra and Fitz can do 80 minutes and Mann covers 1-7

PhilGould

Bench
Mann will likely have the #14 jersey but it seems like they want to use him predominantly at hooker rotating with Levi who hasn't proven he can play 80 quality minutes yet.

Sione and Mitch are pretty equal as back-rowers in my eyes. Both can be very good but inconsistent. With two 80 minute starting second rowers, including Guerra can move into the middle easily if needed, and 3 big minute middle forwards (Klemmer, Dan, Herman) I think Sione's ability to slot into the backline puts him ahead.

Don't think Barnett winning player of the year in 2017 should or will have much bearing on our 2019 side (Daifiti was robbed anyway.)

slotmachine

First Grade
I think winning the award says a fair bit about how he went compared to sione who also played that year in the forwards.

Agree on Dan though.

I guess there is a chance they both make the bench and gavet plays cup too.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Sounds like Barny played through some pain this season. Statistically he was still on par with Roosters Premiership backrower Mitch Aubusson and he was playing in a premiership winning pack. Barny just needs to get the errors out of his game and he will be a gun. In many interviews the other players mention him and Dsaf as the young up and coming players in the team.

Yosh

Coach
To be honest, not too fussed who starts and who is bench and who misses out. Our team is strong. Selection headaches are due to a overabundance of talent not the void we are used to. I'm sure we will see plenty of rotation and players like Mann, Barny, Sione and Woolford will get plenty of time to show what they can do in first grade.

mozza91

Coach
Its the Knights we’re talking about here.

They’ll both get a spot in the 17 because one of our starters gets a career ending eye injury at training, or breaks their leg in a car crash or breaking up fight outside a pub.

Its the Knights we’re talking about here.

They’ll both get a spot in the 17 because one of our starters gets a career ending eye injury at training, or breaks their leg in a car crash or breaking up fight outside a pub.
Sad but oh so painfully true...

Yosh

Coach
In one the of Knights videos on the site, Brown mentions that Danny Levi has been learning a lot from the new blokes who are "talented and selfless". Brown seems to be stressing the 'selflessness' of the group. Hope Levi does learn a thing or two about teamwork and improves his attitude on and off the pitch.

Pedge1971

First Grade
we will still be inconsistent next season no doubt. New players who've played little footy together and a rather young squad but I really think we are 12 months away from hitting a premiership window opening.

100%. 2020 this team will be kicking goals. Expect next year to be scratchy but huge improvement.

Interesting. Gavet and Klemmer starting props and ...
"
But the suggestion is Brown may play the workaholic Glasby at lock and go with the impact of Ese’ese and Daniel Saifiti off the bench as a more than formidible frontrow rotation.

If Dragons recruit Kurt Mann is utilised off the bench as expected and Aidan Guerra and Lachlan Fitzgibbon retain their starting backrow spots, that would leave the likes of Barnett and Sione Mata’utia fighting it out for the final bench spot."
It's a good worry when we have so many options, for now.

Joel-22

Juniors
All Daniel needs to do is start the season the way he has finished the last two and he owns the other starting front row spot.
In saying that, fantastic to hear that Gavet is impressing the club with his attitude, work ethic and physical feats in the gym (i seem to remember seeing something about him showcasing some serious strength).
He's obviously not here to play Reggies nor go the Lillyman route. The only thing that worries me about starting with Glasby, Klemmer and Gavet is that it leaves us with a relatively inexperienced bench. Would prefer;

8.Daifiti
10.Klemmer
13.Ese'ese

15.Glasby
16.Gavet

This allows Klemmer to play alongside Dan and hopefully push him at crucial moments. Having two metre eaters in Daifiti and Klemmer will also allow Ese'ese to damage a retreating line of D with his relative speed, footwork and offload. Gavet and Glasby to come on with bucketloads of enthusiasm encouraging the pack to keep the foot on the throat.