What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos should be playing Great Britain /English Lions in NSW in 2019!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Not so you ignoramus! If you care too look at other forms of repression against rugby league, you will find them. In my last vocation I had an Aussie bloke email information that he and his mate were told ;" You can play any other sport except for rugby league " whilst intending to play amateur rugby league during the off season after playing amateur union in Ireland. You can try to give an impression that the repression of rugby league has ceased however it hasn't. In Australia most public schools allow all football codes. However most elite private schools do not allow all football codes with rugby-league being the code consistently left out. The Aussie players in Ireland example happened in 2011. I'd suggest their are many more subtle ways that the union influence is doing its concerted bit against rugby league. Mind you its not only happening in Ireland! So don't preach that rugby league is not being repressed . It is and these dubious people are hell bent on seeing rugby league stay in its place as subservient to union and also maintaining a precarious existence around world. At no stage did I mention working class Irish immigrants, whom many are new fans of rugby league, when being exposed to it on the Eastern seaboard of OZ. My comment relates to an affluence that is a flow on with union having a mortgage in being the sport played in elite private schools. These affluent schools happen to be doing the development work of the union code with codes like rugby league completely on the outer. Your rose coloured glasses show your ignorance.

@Stallion I think @Pommy has won this one - I would say by KO in the first round. Your arguments don't make sense.

Ireland v Australia at Allianz - sell-out
GB v Australia at Allianz - probably not a sell-out

The former has higher ticket prices, the latter prices would be lower. What's the difference? The first is marketed as an international must see EVENT. The second is marketed as a RL game, no different to any run of the mill NRL match. That's where we are losing. Dropping ticket prices won't automatically fill a stadium if there is no buzz around the EVENT.

I'll agree with you on one point, it doesn't help our game that our own RL media bag the international game, but that is the job of the NRL to address and rectify.

Stallion

First Grade
@Stallion I think @Pommy has won this one - I would say by KO in the first round. Your arguments don't make sense.

Ireland v Australia at Allianz - sell-out
GB v Australia at Allianz - probably not a sell-out

The former has higher ticket prices, the latter prices would be lower. What's the difference? The first is marketed as an international must see EVENT. The second is marketed as a RL game, no different to any run of the mill NRL match. That's where we are losing. Dropping ticket prices won't automatically fill a stadium if there is no buzz around the EVENT.

I'll agree with you on one point, it doesn't help our game that our own RL media bag the international game, but that is the job of the NRL to address and rectify.

We agree to disagree. The Kangaroos v LIONS is long overdue in NSW and has been underestimated by the NRL and some on this website. No knock out here champ. I'm absolutely comfortable with my stance.

Pommy

Coach
Not so you ignoramus! If you care too look at other forms of repression against rugby league, you will find them. In my last vocation I had an Aussie bloke email information that he and his mate were told ;" You can play any other sport except for rugby league " whilst intending to play amateur rugby league during the off season after playing amateur union in Ireland. You can try to give an impression that the repression of rugby league has ceased however it hasn't. In Australia most public schools allow all football codes. However most elite private schools do not allow all football codes with rugby-league being the code consistently left out. The Aussie players in Ireland example happened in 2011. I'd suggest their are many more subtle ways that the union influence is doing its concerted bit against rugby league. Mind you its not only happening in Ireland! So don't preach that rugby league is not being repressed . It is and these dubious people are hell bent on seeing rugby league stay in its place as subservient to union and also maintaining a precarious existence around world. At no stage did I mention working class Irish immigrants, whom many are new fans of rugby league, when being exposed to it on the Eastern seaboard of OZ. My comment relates to an affluence that is a flow on with union having a mortgage in being the sport played in elite private schools. These affluent schools happen to be doing the development work of the union code with codes like rugby league completely on the outer. Your rose coloured glasses show your ignorance.

The vast majority of Irish people who attended the game against the wallabies won’t have attended private schools, yet they were still willing to pay top dollar to attend. Your arguments have no grounding in reality.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
The vast majority of Irish people who went attended the game against the wallabies won’t have attended private schools, yet they were still willing to pay top dollar to attend. Your arguments have no grounding in reality.

I suspect that the attraction was more to do with this game being placed on a socially friendly Saturday and conveniently located near the Sydney nightlife was a big drawcard. The same I believe is achievable for the Lions v Kangaroos.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
wow we got ticket prices, saturday social games and RL in private schools again, who'd have thought? Stallion derailing a discussion with the same old sht. Just need the Bears argument to pop up in here and we have the Stallion Bingo full house!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
wow we got ticket prices, saturday social games and RL in private schools again, who'd have thought? Stallion derailing a discussion with the same old sht. Just need the Bears argument to pop up in here and we have the Stallion Bingo full house!

lol

@Stallion how about Bears v Kangaroos at a Sydney Suburban ground?

Stallion

First Grade

No derailing by me gents. Just giving the stark reality of what's causing rugby league's issues. You choose to ignore. Fine ! You also sell the game of rugby league short and its hard fought established patrons no favours.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Spoke to a 60 year old ref at OZTAG this evening and mentioned that Great Britain was touring the South Pacific next year. He was stunned when I informed him that the Lions are not playing the Australian Kangaroos in a match in Australia. He shook his head in disbelief when the reasoning behind this was that it would not be commercially viable. The referee was astounded at this decision.

Pommy

Coach
Spoke to a 60 year old ref at OZTAG this evening and mentioned that Great Britain was touring the South Pacific next year. He was stunned when I informed him that the Lions are not playing the Australian Kangaroos in a match in Australia. He shook his head in disbelief when the reasoning behind this was that it would not be commercially viable. The referee was astounded at this decision.
Whats your point?

Stallion

First Grade
Whats your point?

You still can't recognise that the decision to not have the Kangaroos playing the touring Lions is not for the good of rugby league! ? This referee is clearly an experienced person whom has a love for the code and you come up with "So what!?" I might add the general public including this person are not aware of this poor lack of scheduling decision. It's been deliberately not discussed on the mainstream media. Some of us can see this some cannot! So the end result is that a generation of kids are not exposed to the Kangaroos playing a traditional foe in the Great Britain Lions. This sends a negative message about rugby league and its international relevance. Meanwhile other codes like union are able to come in on such a rivalry with rugby league sitting on its hands again! It's poor form on behalf of Australian rugby league administrators.

Pommy

Coach
You still can't recognise that the decision to not have the Kangaroos playing the touring Lions is not for the good of rugby league! ? This referee is clearly an experienced person whom has a love for the code and you come up with "So what!?" I might add the general public including this person are not aware of this poor lack of scheduling decision. It's been deliberately not discussed on the mainstream media. Some of us can see this some cannot! So the end result is that a generation of kids are not exposed to the Kangaroos playing a traditional foe in the Great Britain Lions. This sends a negative message about rugby league and its international relevance. Meanwhile other codes like union are able to come in on such a rivalry with rugby league sitting on its hands again! It's poor form on behalf of Australian rugby league administrators.

He’s an oztag ref, he’s about as experienced as anyone else on here. He’s a total nobody.
I haven’t said it’s not good for RL, in fact I said I would love it to happen as I wouldn’t have to fly to NZ.
I just don’t understand what point you were trying to make. Come back when you have a quote from somebody worth quoting.
Also it has been discussed in the mainstrem media, I’m not sure why you’re lying about it.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=5a677a86bf4f86344cc966472986637d-1544740441

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Are you really that immune to seeing that the decision to not have the Kangaroos playing the touring Lions is innept and doing the code of rugby league no favours whatsoever! ?

I'd love to see the match happen, but it's ok - the Kangaroos will tour England a year later and probably play France while they are there.

Next year we have:
Oceania Championship (NZ, Tonga, Aus & PNG, Fiji, Samoa)
Euro Championship (A, B & C)
America's Championship (with South American involvement most likely)
MEA Championship
GB v PNG
GB v Fiji
GB v Tonga
GB v Samoa
GB v NZ

2020 we have:
Oceania Championship (NZ, Tonga, PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands)
Euro Championship (A,B & C)
Aus v Eng - Ashes series which may turn out to be the best ever
Aus v France (maybe)

This is the most active calendar I've seen ever outside of a world cup year. Yes, Kangaroos v GB in Australia would be awesome but it's not happening. Stop whinging and enjoy all of the RL that we have on offer - it has never been so good.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
He’s an oztag ref, he’s about as experienced as anyone else on here. He’s a total nobody.
I haven’t said it’s not good for RL, in fact I said I would love it to happen as I wouldn’t have to fly to NZ.
I just don’t understand what point you were trying to make. Come back when you have a quote from somebody worth quoting.
Also it has been discussed in the mainstrem media, I’m not sure why you’re lying about it.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=5a677a86bf4f86344cc966472986637d-1544740441

Damn! Those facts always trip him up...

Stallion

First Grade

I'd love to see the match happen, but it's ok - the Kangaroos will tour England a year later and probably play France while they are there.

Next year we have:
Oceania Championship (NZ, Tonga, Aus & PNG, Fiji, Samoa)
Euro Championship (A, B & C)
MEA Championship
GB v PNG
GB v Fiji
GB v Tonga
GB v Samoa

GB v NZ

2020 we have:
Oceania Championship (NZ, Tonga, PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands)
Euro Championship (A,B & C)
Aus v Eng - Ashes series which may turn out to be the best ever
Aus v France (maybe)

This is the most active calendar I've seen ever outside of a world cup year. Yes, Kangaroos v GB in Australia would be awesome but it's not happening. Stop whinging and enjoy all of the RL that we have on offer - it has never been so good.

So the "awesome " suggests that this match should occur. That's my point! It's not happening and it's a major mistake. The downside is that the Kangaroos are not sighted in prime time on the eastern seaboard of Australia (most of its heartland area). A generation of young people have no idea that The Kangaroos have a longtime rivalry with Great Britain. Instead the international game is "hidden" with no primetime tv exposure in NSW and Qld. Other codes subsequently gain more international relevance as the traditional rivalry between these two teams is further diminished in rugby league. Newcastle stadium would be sold out if the Kangaroos played Great Britain. Extra scaffolding would be required to cater for the spectators. Yet this massive mistake is non chalantly dismissed as 'whatever'? ! It's a big mistake. The fob off that the Kangaroos wanted to tour in 2019 is not acceptable. Their should be a Kangaroos v LIONS test in Australia (preferably NSW) in 2019. IT'S A SIGNIFICANT MISTAKE FOR INTERNATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade

Definitely not discussed enough. This is a major mistake!

Latest posts