What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Origin Game 1 thread

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bl...-ends-road-back-to-blues-20181214-p50mcd.html

Blake Ferguson's refusal to travel 13km ends road back to Blues

Christian Nicolussi
14 December 2018 — 3:55pm

Blake Ferguson's refusal to travel 13km and instead snub Brad Fittler and a NSW Blues get-together has all but ended his Origin comeback.

Ferguson was a spectacular no-show at Sydney Olympic Park on Friday as more than 20 of the state's best players gathered at Blues HQ.

Fittler only learned of Ferguson's late, late scratching from an Eels official, who informed him the winger wanted to ditch the gathering and hit the training paddock with his new club.

While Ferguson could not bring himself to make the short trek down the M4, Tevita Pangai Jnr flew in from Brisbane and said he would never miss the event.

"If I was having a kid today I'd miss it [the birth], that's how much I love rugby league,'' Pangai said.

Fittler struggled to hide his disappointment when it came to Ferguson's snub. The prized Eels recruit hinted last weekend that he was undecided about the Blues because of the way he was hammered for his boozy afternoon during camp in 2017.

Eels coach Brad Arthur said there had been no pressure on Ferguson to make a call either way.

"Blake has come to me a couple of times about what he thinks he wants to do, and I've told him to go away and keep thinking about it,'' Arthur told Fairfax Media.

"It's great he wants to be committed to the club but I want him to make the right decision for the right reasons and for him to be comfortable with it. I don't think he's ready to make that decision. He's only been back a week at training and he said it was important he showed his teammates he was committed to them.''

Already forced to dodge questions about Jack de Belin and his police charges, Fittler could have done without having to deal with a second player drama.

"I haven't really kept up on what Blake is thinking about with his rep career or whatever he's been talking about,'' Fittler said.

"He was asked to come today but decided to stay at Parramatta, for whatever reason. I wish him all the best.

"Maybe he's at a new club and in a new environment, and maybe he's doing whatever he can for Parramatta.

"There are about 26 players inside I'm really excited to go and have a chat with and see how they're going.

"Everything is taken into consideration.''

Fittler opted for wingers Tom Trbojevic, who plays fullback for Manly, and Melbourne speedster Josh Addo-Carr for the series victory this year.

Ferguson enjoyed a wonderful year at the Roosters, where he became one of the few players in the modern era to run for more than 5000m.

The previous year, however, Ferguson and good friend Josh Dugan were criticised for spending an afternoon at a pub just five days out from the Origin decider in Brisbane, which ended up being a 22-6 blowout loss.

"His year was awesome,'' said Fittler, who was more than happy to roll out the sky blue welcome mat to the 28-year-old on Friday.

"I don't know if anybody has played his role as well as he did last year. He played like a front-rower, a winger, he scored tries, he stopped them.

"It was just a really impressive season at a really impressive club. How the Roosters handled last season is one of the better performances from a club I've seen in a long time.

"Now he has to do it at a club who most likely didn't do as good a job last year.''

Ferguson could have created plenty of selection debate for the wing spots had it not been for his not-so-subtle message.

By showing his hand on Friday, he has basically turned his back on a potential $100,000 each year, which is roughly what Origin players earn for three matches.

Nick Cotric was on the fringes of a call-up last season, while Campbell Graham and Rob Jennings were included in the Emerging Blues and made a point of heading west to train with Fittler.

Ferguson departed the Roosters with a grand final ring and plenty of respect as he played the final half hour in the grand final with a broken fibula.

While Ferguson has quickly played down the comparisons to former Parramatta wrecking ball Semi Radradra, his teammates know the premiership winner is capable of freakish finishes and similar bullocking runs early in the tackle count, something they sorely missed last season.

T.S Quint

Coach
Better for us if he doesn’t play Origin.

And how about this article making him look like a f**kwit for choosing to go to training with his new team instead of going to a piss up with a bunch of blokes, quite a few of whom won’t even get picked in Origin this year.
He’s just gotten back from a broken leg injury, would be behind on fitness at this stage, and has a whole new team to get used to playing with (for the entire season, not just three games).

Would still have been smarter to swallow his pride and show up. Not that I'm one to do that, but $100K would come in handy even with what he's getting from us. I don't think missing a day's training with us would hurt.

strider

Post Whore
Would still have been smarter to swallow his pride and show up. Not that I'm one to do that, but $100K would come in handy even with what he's getting from us. I don't think missing a day's training with us would hurt.
Agree ... im surprised he didnt go ... but im also sure there is more that goes on than we know and maybe hes been told by someone he is unlikely to ever play again so he opted out

I think the article is ridiculous tho ... no one seems particularly put out by the no show yet they are carrying on about it

Gronk

Staff member
Agree ... im surprised he didnt go ... but im also sure there is more that goes on than we know and maybe hes been told by someone he is unlikely to ever play again so he opted out

I think the article is ridiculous tho ... no one seems particularly put out by the no show yet they are carrying on about it

It seems that the real story is that Fergo had been contemplating retiring from rep footy. He discussed this with both BA and had told Fittler. The emerging blues gig is not compulsory by any means and Fergo decided not to go. Not really worthy of arm flapping.

strider

Post Whore
It seems that the real story is that Fergo had been contemplating retiring from rep footy. He discussed this with both BA and had told Fittler. The emerging blues gig is not compulsory by any means and Fergo decided not to go. Not really worthy of arm flapping.
Source?

Gronk

Staff member

Blake has come to me a couple of times about what he thinks he wants to do, and I've told him to go away and keep thinking about it,'' Arthur told Fairfax Media.

"It's great he wants to be committed to the club but I want him to make the right decision for the right reasons and for him to be comfortable with it. I don't think he's ready to make that decision. He's only been back a week at training and he said it was important he showed his teammates he was committed to them.''

I haven't really kept up on what Blake is thinking about with his rep career or whatever he's been talking about,'' Fittler said.

"He was asked to come today but decided to stay at Parramatta, for whatever reason. I wish him all the best.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bl...-ends-road-back-to-blues-20181214-p50mcd.html

Blake has come to me a couple of times about what he thinks he wants to do, and I've told him to go away and keep thinking about it,'' Arthur told Fairfax Media.

I haven't really kept up on what Blake is thinking about with his rep career or whatever he's been talking about,'' Fittler said.

None of that really supports what you claimed, although some of it could be right. And it says he hasn't spoken to Fittler about it.

Gronk

Staff member

Gronk

Staff member
QUEENSLAND EMERGING STATE OF ORIGIN SQUAD 2019

Joe Ofahengaue (Brisbane Broncos)

Christian Welch (Melbourne Storm)

David Fifita (Brisbane Broncos)

Jaydn Su’A (Brisbane Broncos)

Rhyse Martin (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)

Ashley Taylor (Gold Coast Titans)

Brodie Croft (Melbourne Storm)

Jake Clifford (North Queensland Cowboys)

Corey Norman (Parramatta Eels) :eyes:

AJ Brimson (Gold Coast Titans)

Phillip Sami (Gold Coast Titans)

Tautau Moga (Newcastle Knights)

Nene Macdonald (North Queensland Cowboys)

Kyle Feldt (North Queensland Cowboys)

Brenko Lee (Gold Coast Titans)

https://www.outline.com/9DuWD5

Gronk

Staff member
Pangai Jnr commits to Origin future

Broncos powerhouse Tevita Pangai Jnr has made a decision on playing State of Origin, and it’s great news for NSW fans.

“Tevita Pangai Junior has told (Blues coach) Brad Fittler he wants to play for NSW, simple as that,” veteran rugby league journo Danny Weidler told Channel 9’s 100% Footy program.

“I spoke to Freddy today and he’s said that he’s going to reaffirm that with him but as of late last year there was no question that’s what he wants to do this year.”

“In that case it’s a sealed deal for this year that he wants to be a Blue.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/the-ki...g/news-story/7b104d8cc2d84864442a188a35ad322f

Latest posts