What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes' defensive workload

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think he’s overworking himself

This and may I add McGregors approach of letting the player decide if they are ok to play.
Also, with McInnes, and a few others, their focus on playing SOO, negatively impacted their thought onvthe bigger picture ie; the team. Coming off, or even having a rest week, in their minds, may have lessened their chances of SOO selection. In McInnes's case it was plain as day, especially after not getting selected, he was very deflated and his form showed that.

Life's Good

Coach
His workload could be mitigated by having decent bench rotation/bench selection/game plan(take your pick).
Whether that means he gets a rest by carrying a hooker/back row to do this(think Havili)or the bench replacements pushing him wide for a rest the fact remains he is poorly supported either way & definitely impacts his running game(he’s shown glimpses of having one).
Not a coach bashing thread(plenty of those)just an observation.

hazzbeen

Bench

possm

Coach
I think it very important for Mary to manage the bench better in 2019. He should start by giving Robson the 14 jumper and letting him keep it for most of the season.

A Hooker rotation of Robson and McInnes and a lock rotation of say Robson and Lawrie would seem the right way to go for me.

With a cloud over De Belin and most of the good props/locks already under contract for 2019, it will be promote from within or recruit from NZ rugby or ESL to find a prop or a lock.

Maybe Kerr or Timm will step up for the prop position and Lawrie or Robson for the lock position.

ouryears

Bench
In the 2018 NRL season Cameron McInnes made the second most tackles at 1,147 (Jake Friend made the most tackles at 1,255), and, in the 2017 NRL season McInnes made the most tackles at 1,155.

Is he being overworked in defence, and, is this affecting his attack?
At approx 45 tackles every game, yep, affecting what's left in his tank to attack.

He gets out there and just does it, week after week, others in the team then rely on him versus making that extra yard themselves to pull off the tackle.

If he learnt to do less and leave juice in his tank, that would be ideal. Then others can step up, instead of SOME others walking off the field still looking pretty damn fresh.

Like to know our top 5 defensive counts.....

watatank

Coach
Our top 5, all top 50 in the league

McInnes 1147
De Belin 812
Graham 778
Frizell 724
Sims 640

In terms of average tackles, only McInnes (44.1), De Belin (32.5) and Frizell (31.5) make the top 50

Bench
I think the best way to use McInnes is to bring him off at the halfway mark of the second half and give Robson 20 minutes.

ouryears

Bench
Our top 5, all top 50 in the league

McInnes 1147
De Belin 812
Graham 778
Frizell 724
Sims 640

In terms of average tackles, only McInnes (44.1), De Belin (32.5) and Frizell (31.5) make the top 50
Geeze, McInnes does 40% more than the closest to him in JDB, that is too big a gap, no wonder his attack is blunted, time the others did more.

ouryears

Bench
I think the best way to use McInnes is to bring him off at the halfway mark of the second half and give Robson 20 minutes.
Maybe give McInnes a 10 minute break mid to late first half and second half as you say....

Carlton

Juniors
Its not just the number of tackles McInness is making its the fact that he is first in and making effective tackles on much bigger players. Many of the tackles Cook and Smith are making are helping out.

I have said previously that there are members of our pack that need to help out more, there are times where they stand back and leave it to McInness to be first defender in.

Crush

Coach
I think it very important for Mary to manage the bench better in 2019. He should start by giving Robson the 14 jumper and letting him keep it for most of the season.

A Hooker rotation of Robson and McInnes and a lock rotation of say Robson and Lawrie would seem the right way to go for me.

With a cloud over De Belin and most of the good props/locks already under contract for 2019, it will be promote from within or recruit from NZ rugby or ESL to find a prop or a lock.

Maybe Kerr or Timm will step up for the prop position and Lawrie or Robson for the lock position.
Either Possm has been hacked or his computer has run out of blue ink?

BLM01

First Grade
I have 2 points.
1. For those think Lawrie can play lock. Think again. He is and plays like + should be always in the future a prop. He needs to and will bulk up a bit more.
2. Everyone on here and now the journo's + so called Mal Meninga have got me convinced that Robson's a star already. I have watched him play ISP only and yeh he has potential and looked pretty good but a totally different level. And he did not tear them apart on the games at home I saw.
I must be missing something but I will for the moment rely on everyone else's judgment. But for me in the short term seems to be another oversensationalism of a player who because of a NSW emerging camp selection and the media. He is still a bit on the small side for the rigours of 1st grade hooker. Yes he has not had the opportunity to prove himself and I hope he does this year..but there are plenty of Players put in the same basket that have dropped off the radar.

Last edited:

Latest posts