What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Kent ?

Springs09

Juniors
Good Journalist? Telegraph hack?

Personally I think this guy is one of the best journos going around.

Yes, be outraged. He works for the Daily Terror, fine, but do people really think the Herald is that much better? Buzz represents everything that is wrong with news limited. But so what.

Keep this in mind: Kent has the respect of people like Johnny Lewis and Matty Johns (who is a whole lot more cerebral than people know). Do you have their respect?

And for those of you who deigned get fox, he's been instigating the most interesting things on TV to do with rugby league.

People militantly disagree. But basically they are dumb shit!. Convince me! I'm not into fanbo ism, other than when it comes to Adam Reynolds..

Kent can sometimes have good opinions - for example he knew what the 'crackdown' was trying to achieve and I enjoyed him arguing against morons like Buzz who complained non-stop about the penalties. He also seemed to not give two shits about the Bulldogs Mad Monday thing when it was all over the news.

But he does a lot more harm than good. He constantly bags anyone who tries to expand or better the game and identifies this this and this as 'killing the game' but never offers any solutions. He cares far more about media than he does about the sport and half of his air time seems to be whinging about how coaches, players, admin etc do not give the media enough time, which is usually 'killing the game'. He defends the garbage cynicism that comes from his and other papers and attacks the NRL on just about everything they do. What this has led to is his and his peers' attitudes towards the game, while in the position of power that they are in, becoming the number 1 thing 'killing the game' despite him blaming everything else.

Brutus

Referee
Dean Richie is not only the best journalist in the world, but also the best person in the world.

ram raid

Bench
The best RL people in the media today are Steve Mascord, Roy Masters and Andrew Voss (not a journalist but a media figure). These three are head and shoulders above anyone else in terms of having the good of the game at heart and spreading positivity relating to the sport that feeds them.

I love Vossy. Sadly he's on the wrong side of some important people.

ram raid

Bench
Kent can sometimes have good opinions - for example he knew what the 'crackdown' was trying to achieve and I enjoyed him arguing against morons like Buzz who complained non-stop about the penalties. He also seemed to not give two shits about the Bulldogs Mad Monday thing when it was all over the news.

But he does a lot more harm than good. He constantly bags anyone who tries to expand or better the game and identifies this this and this as 'killing the game' but never offers any solutions. He cares far more about media than he does about the sport and half of his air time seems to be whinging about how coaches, players, admin etc do not give the media enough time, which is usually 'killing the game'. He defends the garbage cynicism that comes from his and other papers and attacks the NRL on just about everything they do. What this has led to is his and his peers' attitudes towards the game, while in the position of power that they are in, becoming the number 1 thing 'killing the game' despite him blaming everything else.

Personally I think he is right about the conflict between the media and the clubs killing the game.Having followed the NFL in the off season it is amazing how different and better it the coverage is without all this conflict. But yes I will admit that he is probably contributing to the problem.

Kent does egoistic things like call everybody on twitter ''peanuts.', so I don't think he's heavily invested in his reputation.

Springs09

Juniors
Personally I think he is right about the conflict between the media and the clubs killing the game.Having followed the NFL in the off season it is amazing how different and better it the coverage is without all this conflict. But yes I will admit that he is probably contributing to the problem.

Kent does egoistic things like call everybody on twitter ''peanuts.', so I don't think he's heavily invested in his reputation.

He may be right about it being detrimental to the game - but it doesn't mean it is the clubs or the NRL's fault. The media, particularly the DT, are horrible to pretty much everyone involved in rugby league even when the NRL does exactly what they want.

The DT are never happy. They still think they run the game and as such should be treated like privileged people who we mere mortals should let them do what they want and accept whatever they write. Problem is they live off "confected outrage" style stories, so if you give them what they want they just find a new angle to attack you with. Hence why would you give them the kind of access they want when they so obviously have an agenda to stick a proverbial knife in your back?

Until the DT stop writing agenda laden crap the players nor the NRL clubs will give them anywhere near the kind of access they want as they just aren't trusted.

ram raid

Bench
He may be right about it being detrimental to the game - but it doesn't mean it is the clubs or the NRL's fault. The media, particularly the DT, are horrible to pretty much everyone involved in rugby league even when the NRL does exactly what they want.

The media cynicism started with Wayne Bennett. The best coach in the NRL made it fashionable to hate the media.