What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos should be playing Great Britain /English Lions in NSW in 2019!

Springs09

Juniors
I'm an ex player at a reasonable level. I've coached juniors,assist on a football committee, provide information to local RL development employees with respect to rugby-league participation in schools in the Newcastle area , contact officials at various higher level informing of issues affecting rugby league and tolerate your crap!

Right so currently you assist on a football committee and whinge to officials about nonsense.

I currently play for two clubs, one of which I captain/coach. I am vice president of one of them as well. This year I was secretary of a new rugby league competition that brought the sport back to the old Group 17 area along with the resurrection of 6 clubs that had been defunct for 12 years. This brought 150 new players to the game. I also refereed U16s and U18s games in Group 20 and was a touch judge for both Group 20 juniors and seniors and my competition. I often played 2 games and was an official in 3 or 4 more in the same weekend. I spend more time working for rugby league than I do for my job. If that is a poor rugby league fan then you are an abysmal one.

How about if you want to get your points across, stop pissing off true fans of the game, a lot of whom actually feel quite similar to how you do, limit your moronic rants and stop thinking talking more and more shit on an internet forum is going to do anything but piss off people who both agree and disagree with you.

This Australia v Great Britain has been covered plenty months ago, you aren't going to change anything by acting like a petulant child and accusing others with baseless shit.

Stallion

First Grade
Right so currently you assist on a football committee and whinge to officials about nonsense.

I currently play for two clubs, one of which I captain/coach. I am vice president of one of them as well. This year I was secretary of a new rugby league competition that brought the sport back to the old Group 17 area along with the resurrection of 6 clubs that had been defunct for 12 years. This brought 150 new players to the game. I also refereed U16s and U18s games in Group 20 and was a touch judge for both Group 20 juniors and seniors and my competition. I often played 2 games and was an official in 3 or 4 more in the same weekend. I spend more time working for rugby league than I do for my job. If that is a poor rugby league fan then you are an abysmal one.

How about if you want to get your points across, stop pissing off true fans of the game, a lot of whom actually feel quite similar to how you do, limit your moronic rants and stop thinking talking more and more shit on an internet forum is going to do anything but piss off people who both agree and disagree with you.

This Australia v Great Britain has been covered plenty months ago, you aren't going to change anything by acting like a petulant child and accusing others with baseless shit.

Lol. I've done more than I disclosed and you are way out of line. Your are the petulant child who has no grasp on what really makes rugby league tick. BTW. I'm impressed by your area building work. I've done the same for a University Rugby league (Growing from 1 and half teams to 4 by the time I completed my first degree ) BTW .In your resurrection of the rugby league comp in your area , did you implement senior competition games to be played on a Saturday or a Sunday?

Springs09

Juniors
Lol. I've done more than I disclosed and you are way out of line. Your are the petulant child who has no grasp on what really makes rugby league tick. BTW. I'm impressed by your area building work. I've done the same for a University Rugby league (Growing from 1 and half teams to 4 by the time I completed my first degree ) BTW .In your resurrection of the rugby league comp in your area , did you implement senior competition games to be played on a Saturday or a Sunday?

No grasp on what makes rugby league tick? Geezus how did I run an entire competition then?

Also, if you want to throw around insults, learn how to spell correctly.

Yeah, what did you do for that University league exactly? Whinge at it until it grew?

My competition is played on a Saturday compared to Group 20 which plays on a Sunday. Hence why I was able to play and referee in both competitions at the same time.

Stallion

First Grade
No grasp on what makes rugby league tick? Geezus how did I run an entire competition then?

Also, if you want to throw around insults, learn how to spell correctly.

Yeah, what did you do for that University league exactly? Whinge at it until it grew?

My competition is played on a Saturday compared to Group 20 which plays on a Sunday. Hence why I was able to play and referee in both competitions at the same time.

You threw the first insult champ! Not me. Your facetious statements about whether I was serious or not was enough of an insult given I had created this thread about a very important topic. A number of things for university rugby league at the state level. Besides playing for NSW students I created a moto/badge for them to use. It was a scholars hat with NSW colours and the wording of Tertiary Student Rugby league instead of an outline of NSW with NSW Tertiary Rugby league for wording. To this day since 1996 the jumpers and gear have this more informative branding.
I would suggest that your Saturday competition is far more popular than the Sunday playing Group 20 competition?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Are you aware when the Kangaroos are on tv in a prime time tv slot they rate extremely well compared to other football codes?

Yes, they rate very well. Usually better than the Wallabies and Socceroos. Recent Kiwi v Kangaroo tests have hit the 1 million mark. The GB v Australia test would rate very well too and as I've said I would love to see it.

But a generation of fans will not be affected if this test proceeds, doesn't proceed, is played in Newcastle or is played in the Bermuda triangle - there is just not that much at stake. New young fans in Australia are attracted to the game through the NRL, Origin and Social Media (which the NRL do pretty well). The Kangaroos get the flow-on effect of fans already attracted to the game. I agree that more should be done to put the Kangaroos back on the map as one of our strongly followed national teams but one test v GB in Newcastle isn't going to do that.

Stallion

First Grade
Yes, they rate very well. Usually better than the Wallabies and Socceroos. Recent Kiwi v Kangaroo tests have hit the 1 million mark. The GB v Australia test would rate very well too and as I've said I would love to see it.

But a generation of fans will not be affected if this test proceeds, doesn't proceed, is played in Newcastle or is played in the Bermuda triangle - there is just not that much at stake. New young fans in Australia are attracted to the game through the NRL, Origin and Social Media (which the NRL do pretty well). The Kangaroos get the flow-on effect of fans already attracted to the game. I agree that more should be done to put the Kangaroos back on the map as one of our strongly followed national teams but one test v GB in Newcastle isn't going to do that.

We agree it should happen. It is crucial and would make an immense difference. For example, Rugby league is in a battle with other codes to attract juniors. One major code is AFL. By youngsters seeing the Kangaroos v LIONS in primetime is a distinct advantage in attracting juniors to our game. AFL has not got this advantage and it looks as though rugby league is not using this advantage. Remembering the Kangaroo tour in 2020 will not be seen in prime time in Australia . Just one game would have made a big difference .

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
We agree it should happen. It is crucial and would make ano immense difference. For example Rugby league is I'm a battle with other codes to attract juniors. One major code is AFL. By youngsters seeing the Kangaroos v LIONS on primetime is a distinct advantage in attracting juniors to our game. AFL has not got this advantage and it looks as though rugby league is not using this advantage. Remembering the Kangaroo tour in 2020 will not be seen in prime time in Australia . Just one game would have made a big difference .

Kangaroos v Lions won't make a spot of difference in the battle with AFL. We engage fans in the country with State of Origin and NRL. The NRL outrated the AFL this season and SOO is the envy of every other sporting code in the country. I am an internationalist so I would love for the international game to be the the main media focus of our game but it is not quite there yet (but it is growing).

Stallion

First Grade
Kangaroos v Lions won't make a spot of difference in the battle with AFL. We engage fans in the country with State of Origin and NRL. The NRL outrated the AFL this season and SOO is the envy of every other sporting code in the country. I am an internationalist so I would love for the international game to be the the main media focus of our game but it is not quite there yet (but it is growing).

Had the Kangaroos v LIONS occured it would have provided immense growth. You have underestimated the drawing power of a Kangaroos v Lions test on the eastern seaboard of Australia.A great opportunity is being lost! That's my point and It's extremely valid.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Have to disagree with you on this one. Without regular exposure and hyped up competitions the kangaroos specifically and the international game generally in this country will continue to decline in profile and interest. The RLWC crowds should have been an alarm bell for the commission, to follow that up by missing an opportunity for a high rating series against GB is unforgivable. International sport shows time and again that it can grab non fans of the games attention and interest.
At least Dave Smith, coming from union background, understood the value of an international focus and set out to try and rebuild the Kangaroos brand. Sadly his work has been undone by Greenberg since. One test in Newcastle might not but at least it would show some intent, at the moment that is sadly lacking from Greenberg and the commission.

Stallion

First Grade
Have to disagree with you on this one. Without regular exposure and hyped up competitions the kangaroos specifically and the international game generally in this country will continue to decline in profile and interest. The RLWC crowds should have been an alarm bell for the commission, to follow that up by missing an opportunity for a high rating series against GB is unforgivable. International sport shows time and again that it can grab non fans of the games attention and interest.
At least Dave Smith, coming from union background, understood the value of an international focus and set out to try and rebuild the Kangaroos brand. Sadly his work has been undone by Greenberg since. One test in Newcastle might not but at least it would show some intent, at the moment that is sadly lacking from Greenberg and the commission.

Thanks PR. It's a major mistake and some of us are just pointing out this 'doozy' of a mistake. Otherwise it would have gone through to.the keeper just like other things like the lack of free to air tv coverage for the World nines. These things matter and are not doing any favours by being ignored by rugby league administrators. At least from our part as fans, we can voice a valid discourse and not have it thrown in our face in wonderment after the fact.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Yes, I agree also. I think regular competitions / tournaments / series is what will get the international game the status that it deserves. World Cups / 6/4 Nations or Confed Cup (whichever just pick one) or a full series against GB and the Kiwis regularly held in major cities is what will get attention - we 100% agree there.

A one-off test in Newcastle will not.

Stallion

First Grade
Yes, I agree also. I think regular competitions / tournaments / series is what will get the international game the status that it deserves. World Cups / 6/4 Nations or Confed Cup (whichever just pick one) or a full series against GB and the Kiwis regularly held in major cities is what will get attention - we 100% agree there.

A one-off test in Newcastle will not.

That's where you are wrong. That one test at least gets it out there. Sure it would have been great if it were a three test series. But asking for a small mercy is better than nothing at aLloyd. It's extremely significant and this lost opportunity will hurt the code going forward. A major rival touring the South Pacific and not playing Australia! ? Pleeease ! It's astoundingly wrong!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its probably unheard of, I cant think of a time England or GB have played down under and not played Australia in my 40 years of watching the game? Mind you given how short sighted the NRL is they will probably change their minds and announce in September they are going to play them after all!

Stallion

First Grade
Its probably unheard of, I cant think of a time England or GB have played down under and not played Australia in my 40 years of watching the game? Mind you given how short sighted the NRL is they will probably change their minds and announce in September they are going to play them after all!

Yes.Now we are getting to the shear lunacy of this poor decision from rugby league administrators. The code would certainly have made money from this rivalry and also a massive public relations boost.A real shame!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
That's where you are wrong. That one test at least gets it out there. Sure it would have been great if it were a three test series. But asking for a small mercy is better than nothing at aLloyd. It's extremely significant and this lost opportunity will hurt the code going forward. A major rival touring the South Pacific and not playing Australia! ? Pleeease ! It's astoundingly wrong!

So if this game is so huge, then why propose that it be played in Newcastle? If demand is so high then why not ANZ stadium? What you say doesn't make sense... The demand is apparently so high for this game but a generation of fans will be affected if iti s not played. So.... if the demand is so high shouldn't that generation of fans already be clammering to see this?

Perth Red

Post Whore
So if this game is so huge, then why propose that it be played in Newcastle? If demand is so high then why not ANZ stadium? What you say doesn't make sense... The demand is apparently so high for this game but a generation of fans will be affected if iti s not played. So.... if the demand is so high shouldn't that generation of fans already be clammering to see this?

Sadly the neglect and often derision of the international game means no one is clambering for any of it, bar England fans and Tongan fans it would seem.

We have to start rebuilding the profile of the test game and kangaroos properly, I’d have taken a one-off game in front of 25k in Newcastle over what we got.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Sadly the neglect and often derision of the international game means no one is clambering for any of it, bar England fans and Tongan fans it would seem.

We have to start rebuilding the profile of the test game and kangaroos properly, I’d have taken a one-off game in front of 25k in Newcastle over what we got.

Yes - I would love to see it too. I hope you are right and the NRL make the usual hap-hazard plans to throw a test together at the end of the year once GB are on the way. If not, I'll be licking my lips for the series in 2020 - could be the best series ever.

roughyedspud

Coach
It's being reported in the s*n newspaper that Tonga v GB will be on October 26th & NZ v GB on November 2nd...then Fiji & Samoa in consecutive weekends,in NZ,then on to PNG..

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade

And PR, the Kangaroos V Lions in Newcastle would be an absolute sell-out! (33,000 plus extra seating for sure) I live in Newcastle . It would certainly sell out! However we have poor administrators taking poor advice and not treating the Australian public to such a match!