What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the Penrith Panthers finish in 2019?

Where will the Penrith Panthers finish in 2019?

• Total voters

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
I honestly think our depth isn't that bad. Herman Sele, Jarome Laui, Tyrell Funimao, Caleb Aekins, Liam Martin and Jed Cartwright I'd all back to perform generally well in first grade. Maybe Nick-Lui-Toso too.

Jack Herethington, Tyrone Phillips, Tyrone May, and MZW are good on their day (MWZ is more solid on his day) but have potential to improve. Come finals time it'll be 2 years since T-May did his acl so he'll probably be back to his best around there. You can add him to the list of first graders when that happens. I doubt Kaide Ellis has talent for it but he seems to like the type of guy who trains hard so who knows if he goes above and beyond.

Tim Grant could have a resurgence too.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I honestly think our depth isn't that bad. Herman Sele, Jarome Laui, Tyrell Funimao, Caleb Aekins, Laim Martin and Jed Cartwright I'd all back to perform generally well in first grade. Maybe Nick-Lui-Toso too.

Jack Herethington, Tyrone Phillips, Tyrone May, and MZW are good on their day (MWZ is more solid on his day) but have potential to improve. Come finals time it'll be 2 years since T-May did his acl so he'll probably be back to his best around there.

Who knows, Tim Grant could have a resurgence too.

The top teams and coaches would work all of the above out. It is what happens with rookies

franklin2323

Immortal
I think if we have a reasonable run with injuries we can finish around 4th. I must be in the minority thinking Ivan can do a better job than Hook.

The majority hated hook. Personally I don't think there is much difference when it comes to taking the next step. I'd love to be proven wrong

hindy111

Post Whore
Same as last year. Forwards are weaker, coach is about the same, more experience.

Losses
Peachey
Merrin
CHN

Gains
Fuimano
Sele

I reckon these two cover CHN spot. Peachey cant be covered while Merrins form prob can be covered by a young guy.

Why can the squad improve over 2018 ?

These guys will have better 2019 as where injured or coming back

- Mansour,Whare,Blake,Edwards,May

- Maloney was on one leg last 10 games

- Cleary just turned 21 and has not peaked

- W.Egan,Hethrington,Luai and Katoa where rookies and loads of improvmemt

- Leota,Jfh,Kikau will now be far more seasoned first graders and have not peaked

- RCG wasn't much good after injury.

I am sure a few more rookies will debut. Unsure any will hit ground running and be difference makers as do not know them but its a little silly thinking any player under 24 is at their peak.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Losses
Peachey
Merrin
CHN

Gains
Fuimano
Sele

I reckon these two cover CHN spot. Peachey cant be covered while Merrins form prob can be covered by a young guy.

- Leota,Jfh,Kikau will now be far more seasoned first graders and have not peaked

I am sure a few more rookies will debut. Unsure any will hit ground running and be difference makers as do not know them but its a little silly thinking any player under 24 is at their peak.
Fuimano can bench utility. He's played second row and centre at first grade level and held his own.

franklin2323

Immortal
Losses
Peachey
Merrin
CHN

Gains
Fuimano
Sele

All those you mentioned are in top 17. Not a person here doubts the top team it is squad depth once you go into player 20 down that the issues come

Daza06

Juniors
A lot of people's comments here has been about the depth. Yes the depth may be inexperienced but there is no doubting their talent.

My main issue with putting the Panthers as title contenders are their experience. Only Maloney and Tamou can be considered experienced campaigners from their strongest lineup.

I have the Panthers finishing 5th to 8th. WIll make the eight but will fail to threaten others in the finals.

franklin2323

Immortal
A lot of people's comments here has been about the depth. Yes the depth may be inexperienced but there is no doubting their talent.

My main issue with putting the Panthers as title contenders are their experience. Only Maloney and Tamou can be considered experienced campaigners from their strongest lineup.

I have the Panthers finishing 5th to 8th. WIll make the eight but will fail to threaten others in the finals.

A 5-8th finish for given the new coach is fine. Hopefully with that comes an extra season closer to sorting out the hooker and the FB. That with getting so more experience looks good going forward

Daza06

Juniors
A 5-8th finish for given the new coach is fine. Hopefully with that comes an extra season closer to sorting out the hooker and the FB. That with getting so more experience looks good going forward

Completely agree, experience is an underestimated quality.

Anyone of Edwards, DWZ and Aekins could be a superstar and its a matter of choosing the right one.

At hooker it sounds as though Egan is the future although he isn't quite up to a regular NRL spot yet.

The future is bright and is a matter of retaining the right talent. Question is, can that talent go all the way in 2019?

chrisD

Coach
That 17 doesn't look talented enough for the top 4, but I seem to get surprised by how bad other teams with more talent perform, so I'll say 4th or 5th.

martielang

Bench
I think Sele especially is an astute pick up. I reckon he'll get plenty of minutes & have a big impact.

There is a lot of love for Peach, but I can't remember many games where he was MOTM or even in the top 3 players. Not sure he'll be that big a loss. Would of loved to have seen him get an extended run at lock, but the days of a ball playing lock seem to have gone.

I just find it strange how Top 4 or 5 with Hook was a complete fail yet people seemed satisfied with the exact same result for next season...

I am hopeful of Top 4, i think people overestimate how good / how much depth other sides have tbh.

OldPanther

Coach
I think Sele especially is an astute pick up. I reckon he'll get plenty of minutes & have a big impact.

There is a lot of love for Peach, but I can't remember many games where he was MOTM or even in the top 3 players. Not sure he'll be that big a loss. Would of loved to have seen him get an extended run at lock, but the days of a ball playing lock seem to have gone.

I just find it strange how Top 4 or 5 with Hook was a complete fail yet people seemed satisfied with the exact same result for next season...

I am hopeful of Top 4, i think people overestimate how good / how much depth other sides have tbh.

I thought top 4 was possible under Griffin and I think the same now but like everyone elsr our depth is becoming an issue.

The position on the ladder wasn't the issue. Playing any sort of decent football capable of beating the top sides was. His record against top 4 opposition was disgraceful

Latest posts