What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUS v TONGA @ Mt Smart Stadium // Saturday 20 October - 5:45PM (AEDT) 7:45PM (NZDT)

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'm sorry Tonga but that's just business. The NRL funded the match, the Kangaroos players agreed to pay-cuts. If you don't invest anything into a match, you can't then claim to want the majority of profits. I would imagine that the NRL's return was low too. Most of what they received would have covered costs for hosting the game but in the usual journalism style that is used when reporting on RL the return of their original investment was probably deemed to be ''profit'' just so a negative spin can be put on it.

roughyedspud

Coach
So when nz play Tonga next year the NRL are going to take a huge cut cos they organized it....lol

When are you lot gonna wake up and realize the Aussie's are making mugs out of you all..

insert.pause

First Grade
TongaRL have a nerve, if it weren’t for the Kangaroos players each taking a $15k pay cut the game wouldn’t have even happened!

latingringo101

Juniors
I read somewhere that when the Four Nations use to be on, Oz, NZ, eng, and the fourth nation would split the profits between the four of the national bodies.

With this Tonga test without the NRL the game wouldn't of even happened. The NRL underwrote the cost of the match and paid all players, officials etc. Plus on a side note the NRL uses its own funds to help run NRL Tonga (spreading RL in Tonga itself).

We'd need to see the break down of who got what for the match to give a more accurate opinion on the matter.

deluded pom?

Coach
I read somewhere that when the Four Nations use to be on, Oz, NZ, eng, and the fourth nation would split the profits between the four of the national bodies.

With this Tonga test without the NRL the game wouldn't of even happened. The NRL underwrote the cost of the match and paid all players, officials etc. Plus on a side note the NRL uses its own funds to help run NRL Tonga (spreading RL in Tonga itself).

We'd need to see the break down of who got what for the match to give a more accurate opinion on the matter.
In the 4N the fourth nation received a guaranteed payment while Australia, New Zealand and England, as owners of the concept, would share the profits.

Pommy

Coach
The ARL has a nerve too as 95% of the 26k sell out crowd were Tongan supporters!

Why what did Tonga RL put in to this? They didn’t organise it, they didn’t stump up the initial cash, they didn’t get their players to take a 75% pay cut, they didn’t develop their team.
5% for f**k all seems like a good deal to me.
Also I’m pretty sure this will have all been detailed before they agreed to it, it’s a bit rich complaining now.

Clarkent

Juniors
Why what did Tonga RL put in to this? They didn’t organise it, they didn’t stump up the initial cash, they didn’t get their players to take a 75% pay cut, they didn’t develop their team.
5% for f**k all seems like a good deal to me.
Also I’m pretty sure this will have all been detailed before they agreed to it, it’s a bit rich complaining now.
Load of bull crap coming out of this post... That game was sold out! And probably more people around the world watched that game then any other international did in a few years on TV... Let's be real NRL made a good profit out of that game... I can't remember a test a match ever been sold out without the Tongan team involved... Tongans at least deserved a fair share of the profit...

siv

First Grade
Depends on what the TV rights earnings were

Were they within the main NRL TV deals or seperate

Pommy

Coach
Load of bull crap coming out of this post... That game was sold out! And probably more people around the world watched that game then any other international did in a few years on TV... Let's be real NRL made a good profit out of that game... I can't remember a test a match ever been sold out without the Tongan team involved... Tongans at least deserved a fair share of the profit...

Do a fair ammount of the work get a fair ammount of the profit. If the ARL doesn’t get money how are they going to develop the Tonga players?

And again if they didn’t like the terms why agree to the game in the first place?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
This is how business / investing works. You put up the capital and take the risk. If the venture comes off, you get a return. If it doesn't you cop 100% of the capital loss. I know this is sport and it is a little different but giving grants to Tonga is not the NRL's job, it is the RLIF's job.

siv

First Grade
This is how business / investing works. You put up the capital and take the risk. If the venture comes off, you get a return. If it doesn't you cop 100% of the capital loss. I know this is sport and it is a little different but giving grants to Tonga is not the NRL's job, it is the RLIF's job.

You will find its the APRLF job which Australia sits on

But in this case its between the 2 nations Australia and Tonga becauses it was not within a tournament. Next year that changes

Perth Red

Post Whore
How can you sell 26k tickets and not make a decent profit? Was stallion in charge of ticket prices lol? surely that is well over $500k in ticket sales alone?

As the game was on fox presumably they paid something for the rights to cover it?

The lack of corporate support for the kangaroos is purely a reflection of the failure of the nrl to build their brand.

siv

First Grade
How can you sell 26k tickets and not make a decent profit? Was stallion in charge of ticket prices lol? surely that is well over $500k in ticket sales alone?

As the game was on fox presumably they paid something for the rights to cover it?

The lack of corporate support for the kangaroos is purely a reflection of the failure of the nrl to build their brand.

I am wondering if it was free to Fox and SkyNZ

I suspect the NRL assumed their revenue was for the 200+ NRL games and 3 SOO matches and Rep weekend

And when you take put the major costs eg NRL club grants and NSWRL and QRL SOO grants

Everything thing else from NSW to QLD Cup to NRLW to TouchNRL matches and internationals were non revenue generating and a cost burdon

Thats how it feels anyway

Latest posts