What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the Parramatta Eels finish in 2019?

Where will the Parramatta Eels finish in 2019?

• Total voters

emjaycee

Coach
I reckon BA is possibly a 10+yr coach at the Eels.
Lets not forget despite his mediocre record he IS an Eels man through and through and if we are to ever move from being mediocre to powerhouse we need a strong board that will implement a long term plan and f**king stick with it. Rome wasn't built in a day and we are coming from a long way behind the field when it comes to overall club strength.

Build our juniors.
Stick solid with a board of professionals.
Structure and hire the best management structure.
Stick with a coaching team that bleeds Blue and Gold.

Believe in Santa Claus
Merry Christmas all.

hindy111

Post Whore
This year convinced me it’s not the coach, it’s the club. It’s never been the coach.

We need to find a way to spend more on players, and do it consistently for years on end. That’s what distinguishes the top teams. I even doubt their coaches are much better than average. Robinson and Green, recent premiership winners, have also had horror seasons. Flanagan won a comp but has been suspended twice for cheating.

Kearney and Stuart both won spoons at Parra but made the finals at other mediocre clubs.

I'd argue our clubs ok now as have juniors starting to come through. Last 10yrs haven't had a consistent flow. Juniors mean 2 or 3 guys at under cap value. We had that with KE,Semi,Tepai,Guth and Manu.
Once they where upgraded we where f**ked.
Now we may be able to get some advantages with the next crop and hopefully they keep trickling through

lingard

Coach
This year convinced me it’s not the coach, it’s the club. It’s never been the coach.

We need to find a way to spend more on players, and do it consistently for years on end. That’s what distinguishes the top teams. I even doubt their coaches are much better than average. Robinson and Green, recent premiership winners, have also had horror seasons. Flanagan won a comp but has been suspended twice for cheating.

Kearney and Stuart both won spoons at Parra but made the finals at other mediocre clubs.

We certainly do need to work out how to spend more money on players. But how do we do that? The number of SOO level players we've had over the last ten years just doesnt compare with the likes of Melbourne, Easts, Souths, etc. In fact, along with the Tigers, and the Titans, we've probably had the least number of elite players in the comp. Why is that? And how do we fix it? When was the last time we had a spine that we could honestly say looked like a premiership winning one? It doesnt make any sense. I know it's nice to have a well-balanced team and to buy players that represemt good value, but the sad fact is these days if you dont have a smattering of elite players in your team, you seldom make the top four. I dont know what the smswer is. Hell, I dont even know what the problem is!
Addit; the year we had Foran and Norman could have turned out well. I think we had Michael Gordon at fullback and I cant remember the hooker.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We certainly do need to work out how to spend more money on players. But how do we do that?
I believe our recent decision to become a development club is one way we've identified. The Roosters are great junior recruiters so you know the key there is money. Junior salaries and perks must be in some way uncapped, and we can use that to buy loyalty from at least some of the kids we poach into the system.

lingard

Coach
I believe our recent decision to become a development club is one way we've identified. The Roosters are great junior recruiters so you know the key there is money. Junior salaries and perks must be in some way uncapped, and we can use that to buy loyalty from at least some of the kids we poach into the system.

This makes sense, but I wasnt aware that we'd only recently become a development club. What about the academy and all that?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This makes sense, but I wasnt aware that we'd only recently become a development club. What about the academy and all that?
You don't think the direction would have changed at some point with recent changes in boards/CEOs/coaches?

Though the current crop of juniors is the best we've had since Brian Smith was at the club, so junior development has obviously been a focus for at least a couple of years. I'd say the 'development club' rhetoric is more about retention than development.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
You don't think the direction would have changed at some point with recent changes in boards/CEOs/coaches?

Though the current crop of juniors is the best we've had since Brian Smith was at the club, so junior development has obviously been a focus for at least a couple of years. I'd say the 'development club' rhetoric is more about retention than development.

Probably we're also putting more money and resources into 14's through to ISP. Next year we have 2 x 16's and 2 x 18's teams competing in the Harold Matts, SG Ball, Andrew Johns, and Laurie Daley competitions. We're also bringing back our own ISP team where all players that play are signed to Parra.

From 2020 how we juggle players between Flegg and ISP will be interesting to see.

lingard

Coach
Probably we're also putting more money and resources into 14's through to ISP. Next year we have 2 x 16's and 2 x 18's teams competing in the Harold Matts, SG Ball, Andrew Johns, and Laurie Daley competitions. We're also bringing back our own ISP team where all players that play are signed to Parra.

From 2020 how we juggle players between Flegg and ISP will be interesting to see.

Sounds good.

Avenger

Immortal
I have an ongoing bet with a close mate of mine.

The bet is who will win their next domestic title. Liverpool FC or the Eels. It’s not looking good for me. Even if Liverpool win it I have the opportunity to draw if we jag the comp in 2019. Like I said it’s not looking good for me.

The bet is the loser shouts at any restaurant of their choice in Sydney. He has already picked Tetsuya if he wins.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

The bet is who will win their next domestic title. Liverpool FC or the Eels. It’s not looking good for me. Even if Liverpool win it I have the opportunity to draw if we jag the comp in 2019. Like I said it’s not looking good for me.

The bet is the loser shouts at any restaurant of their choice in Sydney. He has already picked Tetsuya if he wins.
216B4C5B-4510-4F56-A840-0972827A8B41.jpeg

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Poo Poo could be right watch us go without Flanno, but he built a good roster.

Roster > Coach

hindy111

Post Whore

Liverpool have won it already .They are electric. I don't see them losing one game.

84 Baby

Referee

Does Liverpool have to win the league or cup?

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
We certainly do need to work out how to spend more money on players. But how do we do that? The number of SOO level players we've had over the last ten years just doesnt compare with the likes of Melbourne, Easts, Souths, etc. In fact, along with the Tigers, and the Titans, we've probably had the least number of elite players in the comp. Why is that? And how do we fix it?
Kane Evans was a laughing stock by the fans of his previous clubs, yet the Eels gave him a long term contract on decent money. It all starts with that kind of cap management.

Latest posts