What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 team line up

watatank

Coach
Definitely a question mark over the wingers.

At the moment Pereira is probably considered our leading winger. He has been rewarded for his efforts but realistically he's a backup in most teams at this stage. He can still improve but really we hope that Pearson and Ravalawa are better. Anyway he'll end up playing a lot of games IMO and will have opportunities.

Pearson and Ravalawa are good additions to the squad but they better off being paired up with Macdonald, not seen as his replacement. There will be pressure to do more and develop quickly and we will have to see how much patience the coach has here.

They will all be expected to establish themselves as first graders but at least one of them will have to then take that to another level and be that leading winger like Macdonald was.

nontime111

Juniors
I agree, Periera seems safe and is a solid player but it would be damn exciting to see 2 total speedsters on there, each side a flash!! Ravalawa and Pearson, get em in there and set em up theyll get game savvy pretty quick!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Using the chooks as an example? Yeah, good choice.

“I can’t think of any club that won the comp in the last 9 years who had wingers on big money” (Frank Facer).

My answer: the Chooks with Ferguson and Tupou.

I didn’t have to go back too far.

Why do people respond to items that weren’t directed to them in the first place?

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Definitely a question mark over the wingers.

At the moment Pereira is probably considered our leading winger. He has been rewarded for his efforts but realistically he's a backup in most teams at this stage. He can still improve but really we hope that Pearson and Ravalawa are better. Anyway he'll end up playing a lot of games IMO and will have opportunities.

Pearson and Ravalawa are good additions to the squad but they better off being paired up with Macdonald, not seen as his replacement. There will be pressure to do more and develop quickly and we will have to see how much patience the coach has here.

They will all be expected to establish themselves as first graders but at least one of them will have to then take that to another level and be that leading winger like Macdonald was.

MacDonald was hardly a “leading” winger.

Poor attitude on and off the field.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Couldn't think of a bettet term. Think of him in whatever way you want but we relied heavily on MacDonald to get us out of our own end, making ground as well as finishing. That needs to be replaced

This goes back to the heart of my original “whinge”.

Will the new additions replace MacDonald?

Answer: questionable at best.

One can argue that the Club is still yet to replace Morris.

My view is that it hasn’t even after four-years.

Dragon66

Juniors
These are my teams for 2019:
NRL and ISP

Norman 1 Dufty
Pearson 2 Ravalawa
Lomax 3 Masters*
Lafai 4 Runciman*
Periera 5 Maranta
Widdop 6 Field
Hunt 7 Nicholls
Graham 8 Timm
McInnes 9 Lovodua*
Vaughan 10 Latimore
Leilua 11 Ford*
T. Sims 12 ?
Frizell 13 Aitken

Robson 14 Sailor
K. Sims 15 Kerr
Lawrie 16 Allgood
Host 17 H. Lomax*

* = not eligible for NRL

I like your thinking, except I would swap Norman and Widdop. And don't forget Jack Buchanan is back for the ISP. So he would on the bench with Allgood in the second row. That two pretty good sides I would say.
There is just one thing that might happen now that DeBelin looks like he could be out for a while. Aitken is very likely to take the second row spot instead of Luc. I think Aitken plays like a edge player anyway. He is a strong straight hard runner with very few (if any) ball skills. He might surprise how good he could be in that position.

Last edited:

True_Believer

Juniors
“I can’t think of any club that won the comp in the last 9 years who had wingers on big money” (Frank Facer).

My answer: the Chooks with Ferguson and Tupou.

I didn’t have to go back too far.

Why do people respond to items that weren’t directed to them in the first place?

Ummmm - because it's a forum? You obviously don't understand how forums work.

Just related to how the chooks operate - here's something to consider:

https://www.jaguar.com.au/experience-jaguar/ambassadors.html

True_Believer

Juniors
I’m unsure you do either:

You’ve ignored my valid point while bypassing FF’s original statement,

Let me spell it out.

Forums are for discussing topics. I was discussing the same topics as FF and yourself were at the same time. So although you may have been referring directly to FFs statement, it still related to what you and I were talking about. Recruiting quality wingers.

You brought up the roosters as having quality wingers when they won the title as an example to counter FFs argument.

I sarcastically pointed out that the roosters operate at a different financial level to other teams. Hence, not a great example. And to support that, I have highlighted in my link how the roosters operate and get away with keeping quality players where other teams struggle.

Hopefully you can follow that.

Edit - I also note that you replied to BLM01 when he was responding to me. Seems you do exactly the same thing you accuse me of doing.

Drag Queen

Bench
Pearson: only 10 FG games since 2016! If he was any good, Bennett would’ve found a spot for him somewhere.

He didn’t, and I’d respect his judgement over the Dragons’ so called recruitment decision makers.

Ravalawa: NO first grade experience whatsoever. His acquisition represents a massive risk.

Personally, I’d rather experienced wingers than taking a gamble.
Pearson is only 23 Jimmy. Let's give him a go. At least he has a few FG games under his belt. For what it's worth I would have had Brett Morris back in a heartbeat. Roosters know their stuff unfortunately.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Pearson is only 23 Jimmy. Let's give him a go. At least he has a few FG games under his belt. For what it's worth I would have had Brett Morris back in a heartbeat. Roosters know their stuff unfortunately.
We almost had Brett Morris mid season. You could have said that Millward knows his stuff too. But then Easts entered the race for Morris's signature and Nick Always gets his man Politis signed him. Easts getting Morris's signature probably has something to do with brown paper bags.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Let me spell it out.

Forums are for discussing topics. I was discussing the same topics as FF and yourself were at the same time. So although you may have been referring directly to FFs statement, it still related to what you and I were talking about. Recruiting quality wingers.

You brought up the roosters as having quality wingers when they won the title as an example to counter FFs argument.

I sarcastically pointed out that the roosters operate at a different financial level to other teams. Hence, not a great example. And to support that, I have highlighted in my link how the roosters operate and get away with keeping quality players where other teams struggle.

Hopefully you can follow that.

Edit - I also note that you replied to BLM01 when he was responding to me. Seems you do exactly the same thing you accuse me of doing.

Apologies, I didn’t notice your earlier tête-à-tête with FF.

You seem proficient with sarcasm but I guess you knew that already, huh?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I forgot about Easts 2018 wingers. Good point. Can you name another team who won the comp in the last 9 years who had wingers on big money.

BTW I don't think Tupuo is on big money. I am guessing about 350K max.

Oh Jebus mate, I can’t recall what happened five years ago let alone a nine-year period.

How long have I got to respond?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

A few FG games...standards are too low for mine.

I’d have Brett Morris back even if he had a leg missing.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I forgot about Easts 2018 wingers. Good point. Can you name another team who won the comp in the last 9 years who had wingers on big money.

BTW I don't think Tupuo is on big money. I am guessing about 350K max.

I had a quick flick over the time period you gave, and it’s fair to say the vast majority of premiership winning teams didn’t have a brace of wingers on alleged “big money”.

Remember, no one on this forum is privy to just how much money particular players receive from their employer.

That said, there are three teams which I believe stuck out like dogs’ balls:

1. Dragons 2010: Morris and Nightingale (SOO and international level).

2. Manly 2011: Hopoate and Williams (same criteria as above).

3. Chooks (surprise, surprise!) 2013: RTS and Tupou (again, played at the highest level).

The other thing I noticed that in just about each year since 2010, each victorious side had a ‘gun’ flanker.

Meanwhile, Saints will enter the 2019 season with wingers on rookie stipends (or you would think so).