What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Days

Iafeta

Referee
That podcast is so painfully sad. The fallout from his tragedy on so many people is huge and life defining. God bless his soul.

Iafeta

Referee
I still remember where I was when I heard the news. My wife called me, I was a sales rep at the time, and I was about to go into a call in Granville Sydney. Which is a suburb also filled with immense tragedy. I remember feeling completely numb about it. When I went into the appointment I just wasn't really there. Like I did the call, but mentally I felt absent.

I remember it was a really hot day that day. I was in a great mood that day. And then just drained. It's easily the lowest point for me as a Warriors fan, nothing else in sport has hit me as hard as Sonnys loss.

I remember seeing Pricey speak on the news. And feeling his absolute heartbreak. That guy is an absolute champion for how he handled the media that day. And Ruben Wiki, absolute champion cutting short his holiday to try to find him.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Great post Iafeta.

I too remember where I was, driving through the local streets and heard it on the radio. It's that clear that I remember I was at a T junction and froze.

I was in the media at the time, I'd interviewed Sonny before. He was a great person. I was supposed to go to the media call with Pricey but I just couldn't do it - I didn't feel right to be the one asking questions to a heart-broken guy when he wanted to be helping or grieving with his teammates. I was out of the media a year later, it taught me I couldn't handle that side of things. He did an incredible job, Pricey.

Rich102

Staff member
Still seems very fresh.
Didn't he have a younger brother playing League? What happened to him?

Iafeta

Referee
10 years. And still every year it upsets me.

A true Warrior.

Rest In Peace Sonny.

Iafeta

Referee
Still seems very fresh.
Didn't he have a younger brother playing League? What happened to him?

Yes he did. Iirc he was scarred by it all. I think iirc they talk about him on the podcast and how he didn’t have the spirit after that.

MKEB...

Staff member
I still have my wrist-band.
10 years ago...wow. I still remember finding this out, and phoning the wife in shock.

Meth

Staff member
From the article-

"The next group that comes along will learn about Fai. They may marvel at his bench press exploits, but the connection will not be as strong - it can't be.

But the family will ensure that, in spirit and name at least, he lives on.

Remember back to the lounge in Viola Ave. To Lesi. To his son, the boy who lit up the room with his ready smile and playfulness.

The boy whose very existence owes everything to the man who saved his father.

He has a short name that says an awful lot.

His name is Sonny Fai."

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Wow 10 years ago, I remember passing on my condolences to the club at the time, can't believe that a decade has passed since, absolute tragedy and what a great action shot, one Sonny beating another Sonny.