What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam

nöyd

Staff member
rip Mean Gene

Didn't one of the background interview sets fall on him years ago, prompting him to drop the magic on camera?

Iafeta

Referee
I literally went “Oh No” when I just read the news on Twitter.

Gene was outstanding. His ability to use subtle humour to goad a wrestler was awesome. Later on he was less tolerant and it was funny to see him on Nitro say things like “in English pal” when Juventud cut a promo in Espanol, and a few times when he goes “get out of the way of the camera” or “cameras over there pal”...

Rest In Peace Gene. The voice of not only a generation, but frankly imo the voice of sports entertainment

Big Pete

Referee
How many amazing promos started off with the man's name? Whether it was Hogan or Flair, Mean Gene played host to the biggest stars the industry has seen and elevated all of them with his presence. While he quickly garnered a reputation as a sleazy salesman with his hotlines, I felt Mean Gene gave WCW that gravitas it needed and helped a lot of the younger talent like Jericho and Eddie find their way on the mic.

One of my favourite developments was seeing Mean Gene host the Vintage Collection on Sundays. He was a fantastic curator and his presence gave the show that retro feeling it desperately needed. Of all the backstage robots they've brought through, the only one with any personality happens to be the one who worked alongside Gene on Vintage Collection - Renee Young.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Very sad news to hear, definitely one of the key voices of my childhood (and teenagehood for the WCW stuff in the late 90s).

rip Mean Gene

Didn't one of the background interview sets fall on him years ago, prompting him to drop the magic on camera?

That would be the infamous Summerslam 89 "F*ck It!" just as he was about to interview Rude and Heenan! That event was one of my earliest wrestling memories so blew my mind seeing this outtake relatively recently (in the youtube era).

Whether it was Hogan's "Well let me tell ya something Mean Gene...", Flair's "Meean.... BY GOD!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!... Gene!!!", Sid Justice's "Shut up you fat bald headed little oaf!!!" or correcting Bret Hart on Psychosis/Hypnosis, he has been a part of so many iconic moments with the silky smooth voice and quick wit, will be forever grateful for his contribution to the wrestling biz and for my entertainment throughout the years!!!!

RIP Gene-O

Valheru

Coach
How many amazing promos started off with the man's name? Whether it was Hogan or Flair, Mean Gene played host to the biggest stars the industry has seen and elevated all of them with his presence. While he quickly garnered a reputation as a sleazy salesman with his hotlines, I felt Mean Gene gave WCW that gravitas it needed and helped a lot of the younger talent like Jericho and Eddie find their way on the mic.

One of my favourite developments was seeing Mean Gene host the Vintage Collection on Sundays. He was a fantastic curator and his presence gave the show that retro feeling it desperately needed. Of all the backstage robots they've brought through, the only one with any personality happens to be the one who worked alongside Gene on Vintage Collection - Renee Young.

"You can reach us on the hotline at 1900-909-9900... That's one nine hundred, nine oh nine, ninety nine hundred!"

A phone number I'll never forget.

Life's Good

Coach
I literally went “Oh No” when I just read the news on Twitter.

Gene was outstanding. His ability to use subtle humour to goad a wrestler was awesome. Later on he was less tolerant and it was funny to see him on Nitro say things like “in English pal” when Juventud cut a promo in Espanol, and a few times when he goes “get out of the way of the camera” or “cameras over there pal”...

Rest In Peace Gene. The voice of not only a generation, but frankly imo the voice of sports entertainment

It was a quiet day at work so I looked back at a bunch of old interviews(WWE site, ESPN etc.)and he just got it. I mean, he knew how to play up for the interview, turn dead serious or simply stand there holding a certain face.

This one is a classic.

Iafeta

Referee
10000%. He knew how to play “it”, depending on what it was required. He could lead Ric Flair into a playboy life of the millionaire promo, he could have Andre wrap his hand around his head, he could try to take a Hogan promo while he’s super high on coke and keep that baby rolling, he knew how to show contempt for Hogan at Bash at the Beach 96, whatever you wanted he could do it.

I think he will be up there rehashing promos with Piper, talking about those WWF shows with Bobby, Lord Alfred and Gorilla, looking on with mystique at Andre, laughing at the maniacal nature of Macho and the beauty of Liz, the man absolutely stretches across so much great history. He’s generally been at the epicentre of it all.

What a massive legend.

And what a talent. I’ve watched back and seen really proficient commentators like Mike Tenay, or Tony Sckeeo vone A, and they just don’t bring out the craziness and charisma of the wrestlers like Gene could. The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be would be perfect for him frankly.

Although a it's not his most well known work, I actually love rewatching the Wrestlemania X7 gimmick battle royal for Mean Gene & The Brain on commentary. The fact they're both grinning like the butcher's dogs makes it all the more enjoyable.

super sad news. i must admit, i took him a bit for granted during the years but when i reflect on his body of work its hard to think of someone that surprasses it. the wwf would never have become what it did without him.

RIP Gene

Iafeta

Referee
Well that’s sad. The king of the five count pin fall. Also, the Bundys from Married with Children are named after him. As was Steve Rhoades after Dusty Rhodes. King Kong was on MWC a couple of times. One of my favourite lines is from him. Bud asks him if he’ll put his head through the Tv again “uhhh only if you’re good”.

I had been watching some WCCW on the network trying to get up to speed before the Von Erich v Freebird fued. He was there as Big Daddy Bundy. He started off as a face siding with the Von Erich’s, he was billed from Nome Alaska. He was though infinitely superior as a heel.

Rest In Peace Big Daddy.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Ooh man, this one sucks.

I believe he was 61, I thought he'd been older...

Please someone wrap Flair up with cotton wool

Iafeta

Referee
Yeah heard about that. He was a slightly bigger luchadore, and came in after Rey and Juvi had come in so early 1997.

Seemed to be slightly better than the other luchadores in selling but was still agile enough to spot monkey it up in a Lucha 6 man tag too.

Underrated performer.

RIP Silver King

Iafeta

Referee
Good lord. I’ve just seen the video.

Juventud Guerrera and the referee should be ashamed. The referee should be charged with criminal negligence.

Silver King collapses to the mat. To me it looks like he’s booked to win. He’s not responding, so eventually after Juventud has kicked him a couple of times and taunting him, he rolls him over and hooks the leg. The ref pauses at 2 and slow counts to 3. Even after that and he’s not moving Juvi goes to the ring post to pose and the referee goes to raise his arm.

Get the man some friggen help. That is utterly disgraceful stuff.

Rest In Peace Silver King
Retire Juventud you disgrace

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah heard about that. He was a slightly bigger luchadore, and came in after Rey and Juvi had come in so early 1997.

Seemed to be slightly better than the other luchadores in selling but was still agile enough to spot monkey it up in a Lucha 6 man tag too.

Underrated performer.

RIP Silver King

I just had a look at his match history and apparently he had a match at Clash of the Champions 19 against the Freebirds.

I never knew that.

But yeah Silver King debuted on the June 9th 1997 edition of Nitro in a Six Man Lucha Libre match teaming with La Parka & Psychosis to take on Ultimo Dragon, Juventud Guerrera and Super Calo.

My main recollection was seeing him on an episode of Saturday Night and Thunder from 1998 when they were on syndication on Channel O. Looking at CageMatch.com I presume it would have been against Saturn and Disco Inferno. Recently I've gone back to that period and was shocked to see he wrestled a PPV match against Juventud Guerrera. The match was put together at the last minute so it had no heat but the crowd got into a bunch of spots they threw in down the stretch.

Good lord. I’ve just seen the video.

Juventud Guerrera and the referee should be ashamed. The referee should be charged with criminal negligence.

Silver King collapses to the mat. To me it looks like he’s booked to win. He’s not responding, so eventually after Juventud has kicked him a couple of times and taunting him, he rolls him over and hooks the leg. The ref pauses at 2 and slow counts to 3. Even after that and he’s not moving Juvi goes to the ring post to pose and the referee goes to raise his arm.

Get the man some friggen help. That is utterly disgraceful stuff.

Rest In Peace Silver King
Retire Juventud you disgrace

Don’t want to see it. Disgusting