What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters pair with Bears

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The jigsaw of feeder clubs looks settled with Norths switching from Souths to the Roosters in 2019:
https://www.roosters.com.au/news/20...ers-and-north-sydney-bears-form-new-alliance/

A new partnership has today been announced between the Sydney Roosters and North Sydney Bears.

The agreement between the Foundation Clubs, which is for five seasons beginning in 2019, will see the Bears assume the status as the official feeder club to the Roosters NRL side in the NSW Intrust Super Premiership (ISP) competition.

"We are delighted to form this new partnership with fellow Foundation Club, the North Sydney Bears," said Easts Group CEO Scott Bennetts.

"Like the Roosters, the Bears boast a proud history, and both Clubs share a number of values centred around the development and transition of players to compete at the highest level," he added.

The formation of this partnership will also see Roosters Assistant Coach and former North Sydney Bears player Jason Taylor assume the role of Head Coach of the North Sydney Bears NSW ISP side, commencing in 2019.

"We are in the fortunate position of being able to lean not only on Jason's experience as a coach, but also his intricate knowledge of and passion for both Clubs, and everyone at the Roosters is looking forward to working with Jason and the team at the Bears to ensure sustained success for both our organisations in the coming years," said Mr Bennetts.

Speaking about his new appointment, Jason Taylor said: "The Roosters and Bears are two strong Clubs, so the formation of this new partnership is really exciting for both organisations.

"Both the Bears and the Roosters are in my DNA, so I'm looking forward to taking on the role of North Sydney's Head Coach on the back of this new partnership between the Clubs," he added.

Welcoming the partnership, North Sydney Bears Chairman, Perry Lopez, said: "Not only are we delighted to be entering into this new partnership with the Sydney Roosters, but we are thrilled to also have one of the Bears' favourite sons in Jason Taylor returning to the Club.

"In addition to assuming the role of Head Coach of the Bears NSW ISP Cup side, Jason will also be responsible for the development and delivery of all coaching programs at the Bears, while also being the primary link between the Bears and Roosters to ensure the on-going development and preparedness of players, as well as the seamless transition of the young men moving between the grades," he added.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Given it receives no mention from either club, I'm guessing Norths drop out and Souths come in. The Roosters already look after their own 20's

Closer than Wyong

Only reason for the break up with Wyong is that a new team were elected to the board at Wyong, who are more into lawn bowls, and they decided to terminate the arrangement with the Roosters one year early citing costs.

kbw

Bench
Only reason for the break up with Wyong is that a new team were elected to the board at Wyong, who are more into lawn bowls, and they decided to terminate the arrangement with the Roosters one year early citing costs.

Yes apparently the RL people were blindsided with others ignoring a long standing agreement to split the numbers appropriately. This was allegedly done due to some people not happy with the amount of money being spent on the NSW cup team. Not sure if a stupid amount of money was being spent or the others forget they were a "leagues" club

I actually don't blame Wyong for flicking the Roosters, Wyong had players who were capable of stepping up to NRL level but when the Roosters had injuries to Daniel Tupou or Jake Friend they would rather just go out and sign players instead like Reece Robinson, Ian Henderson and Matt McIlwlrick
(old habits die hard) than give players like Luke Sharpe, Josh Mantellato or Mitch Williams a go.
Why even bother to have an ISP Cup side if you are not going to use the players that are available to you, not good at all.

Last edited:
I actually don't blame Wyong for flicking the Roosters, Wyong had players who were capable of stepping up to NRL level but when the Roosters had injuries to Daniel Tupou or Jake Friend they would rather just go out and sign players instead like Reece Robinson, Ian Henderson and Matt McIlwlrick
(old habits die hard) than give players like Luke Sharpe, Josh Mantellato or Mitch Williams a go.
Why even bother to have an ISP Cup side if you are not going to use the players that are available to you, not good at all.

The players you name were not contracted to the Roosters but solely to Wyong. As such they were outside the squad and ineligible for NRL selection whereas the others were not "sudden" signings but were off season recruits on the whole.

kbw

Bench
and out of those you mentioned Sharpe is the only one close to NRL standard. The Roosters were impressed with him but felt he was too small and injury prone.

They brought up more than 1 wyong player, the young winger Ikuvalu is one example

Certitude

Juniors

The stench must have been pretty horrendous too

Certitude

Juniors
Better than the stench of failure that permeates Souffs. Not even your coach wants to stay

But the most successful coach in the modern era wants to join the most successful club ever, good fit

It’s not like you even have a real club :joy::joy:

kbw

Bench
But the most successful coach in the modern era wants to join the most successful club ever, good fit

It’s not like you even have a real club :joy::joy:

Hah the old decrepit old fool who the Broncos don't want, the has been. Good luck :)
And again, a nobody coach dumped you after one year. What a stellar culture you must have.

I do have a club, I am a Roosters supporter that has always had a soft spot for the Bears, so I am revelling in the sweet smell of success

LOL @ Souffs

Pommy

Coach
Hah the old decrepit old fool who the Broncos don't want, the has been. Good luck :)
And again, a nobody coach dumped you after one year. What a stellar culture you must have.

I do have a club, I am a Roosters supporter that has always had a soft spot for the Bears, so I am revelling in the sweet smell of success

LOL @ Souffs

I always assumed you were a Souths fan with a soft spot for the Bears, considering it’s the only club you ever talk about.

Reactions: kbw
The players you name were not contracted to the Roosters but solely to Wyong. As such they were outside the squad and ineligible for NRL selection whereas the others were not "sudden" signings but were off season recruits on the whole.
Thats not true, all of those players were signed when the Roosters could have just used who they already had playing ISP Cup for Wyong.
Those players that I mentioned in Williams, Sharpe and Mantellato crap all over McIllwrick, Henderson and Robinson.
Atleast Norths squad should stay intact for the entirety of 2019 if the Roosters are true to form.

kbw

Bench
Thats not true, all of those players were signed when the Roosters could have just used who they already had playing ISP Cup for Wyong.
Those players that I mentioned in Williams, Sharpe and Mantellato crap all over McIllwrick, Henderson and Robinson.
Atleast Norths squad should stay intact for the entirety of 2019 if the Roosters are true to form.

Sharpe impressed a lot of people in the last 2 years, I heard the Roosters liked him but thought he was a bit small

Sharpe impressed a lot of people in the last 2 years, I heard the Roosters liked him but thought he was a bit small
Luke Sharpe kept Connor Watson out of the fullback position for Central Coast Centurians Matts and Ball squads.
Looking at players who played NRL from that squad Daniel and Jacob Saifiti (both Knights), Jacob Liddle (Tigers), Latrell Mitchell (Roosters) and Connor Watson (Knights).
Jesse Ramien also played in the same junior competition as these lads.

kbw

Bench
How many of those players stayed and played SG Ball for the Centrurians ?

Not asking as a "who developed them" question but more out of interest based on the history of players that get approached by other clubs especially Newcastle

How many of those players stayed and played SG Ball for the Centrurians ?

Not asking as a "who developed them" question but more out of interest based on the history of players that get approached by other clubs especially Newcastle
The Saifiti brothers and Jacob Liddle played Ball with the Centurians, Latrell may have played a year young and then went down and played with the Roosters S.G.Ball and Connor Watson signed with Knox College to get out of his Centurians contract.
Ramien was with Manly until the U20's GF and then went to the Sharks.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbw