What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

roofromoz

First Grade
I wonder if the Panthers v Broncos 1990 game is either the regular season or semi-final?

Both games were great and resulted in Penrith wins, though I remember the semi-final game when Channel 10’s Bill Anderson said during that match that it was the game when Greg Alexander came of age.

I think it may be the 18-2 win at Penrith Park.

Would be nice to see some 'fresh' ones. Not that I get sick of watching the 2011 match v Parra.

TheFrog

Coach
The Bears game from 1991- IIRC when they did this last year this was not the semi-final but the match at Penrith that we won 8-0.

The most exciting match I ever watched the Panthers play will never be shown. It was the Steelers match at Penrith in 1984. Alexander's first year, and also the clash of rookie coaches Brian Smith and Tim Sheens. I don't think footage of this match exists except in the memory of the 5,000 people there.

Wish they were showing Bulldogs 2003. Lewis jumping over Utai to win it.

That was one hell of a match!

Rhys Weser scooting from dummy half in their own 20 metre zone, running right between Steve Price and Mark O’Meley before outpacing Luke Patten to score. I believe that was Penrith’s try of the year.

snickers007

Juniors
Interesting article over at NRL.com about each team's "desperation defence".
Basically, missed tackles per try conceded. The higher the number the better.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/04/stat-attack-ranking-each-teams-desperation-defence/

stat-attack_missed-tackles-per-try-conceded_20190104-1.jpg

Probably needs to be cross referenced with total number of missed tackles, tackle efficiency, missed tackles leading directly to tries etc.

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
Interesting article over at NRL.com about each team's "desperation defence".
Basically, missed tackles per try conceded. The higher the number the better.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/04/stat-attack-ranking-each-teams-desperation-defence/

stat-attack_missed-tackles-per-try-conceded_20190104-1.jpg

Probably needs to be cross referenced with total number of missed tackles, tackle efficiency, missed tackles leading directly to tries etc.

What I hate about the missed tackle stat like this, it doesn't account for RCG or fish rocketing out of the line and the attacker going flying backwards, only to be pounced on by another defender. IMO that's a planned risk, not a straight up missed tackle error

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
I absolutely love Dallin throwing himself around like a kamikaze but it's not going to be long before it takes a toll on his body. He's only around 90kgs if he keeps playing like that he'll end up like Kieran Foran when he gets to 30. Like I said I love it but we shouldn't let sentimentality get in the way when the time comes if he keeps running like that.

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
I absolutely love Dallin throwing himself around like a kamikaze but it's not going to be long before it takes a toll on his body. He's only around 90kgs if he keeps playing like that he'll end up like Kieran Foran when he gets to 30. Like I said I love it but we shouldn't let sentimentality get in the way when the time comes if he keeps running like that.

Compare Dallin/Edwards and Moylans kick returns. One of the styles charged hard and made enough metres to start the set at an advantage, thus putting the forwards behind the ball to continue momentum, the other style made sure it was tackle 3 or 4 when the big boys were behind the ball ready for a hit up, burning out the wingers in the meantime. One had us top of the table and one didnt.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
Compare Dallin/Edwards and Moylans kick returns. One of the styles charged hard and made enough metres to start the set at an advantage, thus putting the forwards behind the ball to continue momentum, the other style made sure it was tackle 3 or 4 when the big boys were behind the ball ready for a hit up, burning out the wingers in the meantime. One had us top of the table and one didnt.
Like I said I'm a big fan of it and I absolutely love it. But it takes its toll for someone of his weight.

betcats

Referee

We finished higher and went further into the finals with Moylan playing FB than we have with Edwards or Dallin and our winger are heavily involved no matter who is playing fullback, they didn't become less involved when we moved on Moylan.

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
We finished higher and went further into the finals with Moylan playing FB than we have with Edwards or Dallin and our winger are heavily involved no matter who is playing fullback, they didn't become less involved when we moved on Moylan.

Oh so we're ignoring all the other variables like a completely different team and coach

betcats

Referee
Oh so we're ignoring all the other variables like a completely different team and coach

Lol what the hell?? you literally just credited a kick return style for having us in first compared to Moylans style not having us in first, where is your acknowledgement of all the variables there? At least I am factually correct. We literally added the kangaroos 6 to our team since Moylan last played fullback for us and you are only crediting the kick return style.

Last edited:

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
Lol what the hell?? you literally just credited a kick return style for having us in first compared to Moylans style not having us in first, where is your acknowledgement of all the variables there? At least I am factually correct. We literally added the kangaroos 6 to our team since Moylan last played fullback for us and you are only crediting the kick return style.

It would be more accurate to compare apples with apples than to say well we went further in 2014 with moylan at fullback. In that line of thought, well we finished first with wesser and with Barwick at fullback.

That comparison doesn't work. Our team was different between 2014 and now.

What we can compare, is 16-18 seasons, as they are the closest we will get to comparing apples with apples, in which I stand by my statement

betcats

Referee
It would be more accurate to compare apples with apples than to say well we went further in 2014 with moylan at fullback. In that line of thought, well we finished first with wesser and with Barwick at fullback.

What we can compare, is 16-18 seasons, as they are the closest we will get to comparing apples with apples, in which I stand by my statement

So you think the only difference in the side over 17-18 seasons was the fullbacks kick returns?? That’s why we were in first for a couple weeks last season? There are no other variable that you should mention? You are being a hypocritical, your statement is ridiculous. To make that statement and then pull me up for ignoring variables is just plain dumb.

OldPanther

Coach

To be fair we finished 5 - 8 and got knocked out week 2 in both seasons.

Latest posts