What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Movie This Decade (2010-19)?

We’re into the final year of the current decade - what are your top contenders for movie of 2010-19 so far, & are you hopeful any upcoming films in ‘19 will top your list?

Number 1 with an absolute bullet for me has to be 2017’s Blade Runner 2049. I’ve never seen a film quite like it, including the original. I liken the experience of watching this film more akin to observing a grand artist paint than to the traditional act of seeing a movie.

There of course have been some other great ones. Toy Story 3, True Grit, both X-Men: First Class & Days of Future Past, The Grey, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Babadook, & so on.

What’s your pick for Movie of the Decade, 2010-19?

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
I rather shamefully have yet to see the new Blade Runner. I love the original - one of the greats.

Off the top of my head, these come to mind as my top 5:

Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
13 Assassins
Get Out
Inside Out

Hard to go past Fury Road as number one. I haven't ever had so much fun in the cinema.

I rather shamefully have yet to see the new Blade Runner. I love the original - one of the greats.

Off the top of my head, these come to mind as my top 5:

Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
13 Assassins
Get Out
Inside Out

Hard to go past Fury Road as number one. I haven't ever had so much fun in the cinema.

If you enjoy the original, I’d say it’s highly likely you’ll enjoy 2049. It’s going to go down as one of the greatest sequels ever filmed, & after many months of consideration, I genuinely think it tops the first film. Big call, I’ve been a Blade Runner tragic since I saw it, but the new film has a stronger character arc for its protagonist, a better detective storyline, & is even more gorgeous to immerse yourself in.

I have the 3D blu-ray, & you absolutely go swimming in the film on a large screen.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I'm a big fan of Roger Deakins who finally won an Oscar for this so I've no doubt that it looks amazing.

I really should have seen it on the big screen but will buy the blu ray and watch it on the weekend.

I'm a big fan of Roger Deakins who finally won an Oscar for this so I've no doubt that it looks amazing.

I really should have seen it on the big screen but will buy the blu ray and watch it on the weekend.

Hopefully you enjoy it. I adore the movie, but even I’ll admit, it’s definitely a ‘mood’ watch. Very ponderous, & nearly three hours long, but all the questions lead to answers, & all the answers are deeply satisfying.

azzah72

Bench
Jeez this is too hard.

Top of my head:
Interstellar
Wolf of wall street
Three billboards
Whiplash
Django Unchained

I will say that it probably hasn't been a great decade for timeless type movies .

Lots of great ones though.

Jeez this is too hard.

Top of my head:
Interstellar
Wolf of wall street
Three billboards
Whiplash
Django Unchained

I will say that it probably hasn't been a great decade for timeless type movies .

Agree it hasn’t been a great decade, but ten years is still a long time - even in a scant decade, it will usually be hard to pick just one film.

Jeez this is too hard.

Top of my head:
Interstellar
Wolf of wall street
Three billboards
Whiplash
Django Unchained

Yeah Interstellar is incredible

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Yeah Interstellar is incredible
I've tried to watch it all the way through six times now and fallen asleep everytime, the last being last night.

I'm glad nobody has nominated Gravity.

My choice is Prometheus. Was generally panned by critics and did have it flaws but geez it was thought provoking.

Parra

Referee
The Railway Man (2013)

Whiplash
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Wolf of Wall Street
The Big Short

axl rose

Bench
Was going to say No Country for Old Men. Couldn't believe it was over 10 years ago. :oops:

Edge of Tomorrow, Your Name, Interstellar.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Was going to say No Country for Old Men. Couldn't believe it was over 10 years ago. :oops:

Edge of Tomorrow, Your Name, Interstellar.
No Country for Old Men is top 5 this century on my list. Amazing movie.

Good call on Edge of Tomorrow. An absolute under appreciated classic. A movie I sadly missed at the cinemas but had so much fun watching.

One of those movies that when you've finished watching it I said to myself "now that is why I love movies so much".

Another one that fits that category for me was A Quiet Place. So creative, suspenseful and emotionally involving.

Just on Tom Cruise, his recent Mission Impossible movies this decade have all been awesome. Fall Out last year would have to rank as one of the best action movies of all time.

So whilst the 2010s probably hasn't had the classics that the 2000s have had I'd say that it's been a great decade for action movies. And sci fi/action because I'll throw Snowpiercer in as another gem.