What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The greatest club side of all time (one year only)

horrie hastings

First Grade
1. Luke Phillips
6. Brad Fittler
7. Craig Wing
9. Simon Bonnetti

Obviously the 6 is a legend but all together it’s probably the weakest spine to win a comp in the NRL era. They won 1 comp and it was when the best team got kicked out of it. Decent club side but not in the same breath as others mentioned.

We all know why the supposed best team got kicked out in 2002 but enough of that.
2002 Roosters win with Craig Wing at half back, 2003-2004 with Finch at half back Easts lose both times .

Vic Mackey

Referee
Without sounded harsh I'd take Fittler over those 4 combined.

Also Craig Wing was an awesome player.

That was a great halves combo.

I was a huge fan of Wing, however IMO he played his best footy at 9. I’m not sure he was ever a top level NRL half.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I was a huge fan of Wing, however IMO he played his best footy at 9. I’m not sure he was ever a top level NRL half.
He won a comp as a halfback and then was replaced by Brett bloody Finch :(

Wing was never given a proper chance to develop as a halfback.

That being said I totally agree that his best position was hooker. Wingy was an absolutely awesome running hooker and easily the best bench utility I've ever seen. He wrecked Qld for a few years so the mistake wasn't really moving him to hooker but replacing him with Finch lol

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
We all know why the supposed best team got kicked out in 2002 but enough of that.
2002 Roosters win with Craig Wing at half back, 2003-2004 with Finch at half back Easts lose both times .

Wing actually played halfback in the 03 GF although he was wearing the number 9.

Valheru

Coach
Certainly not saying it’s a bad spine, and I don’t think a bad spine could ever a comp, however out of every Premier since 98 who was it better then?

1 Hodges
6 lockyer
7 Perry
9 Berrigan

06 broncos doesn't impress me with the obvious exception of the 5/8

horrie hastings

First Grade
Wing actually played halfback in the 03 GF although he was wearing the number 9.

Yeah true, I had forgotten about that and he also played half in the prelim final against the Dogs but the majority of 2003 Fincherelli was the half back, just would have loved to see how Wing and Fittler would have gone for a full season together in 2003 after finally settling on that combo almost midway through 2002.

Tommy Smith

Referee
That 2002-2004 Roosters side was only a couple of ankle taps away from a 3peat and immortality (on Byrne to halt his run and on Crocker by Ryan).

The Panthers played an incredible game to deny us but we choked vs the Dogs.

Still, 3 straight Grand Finals is nothing to sneeze at.

The 2004 side was the best of the lot; finishing Minor Premiers and +342 which I believe hasn't legally been bettered since.

So frustrating to only win the one comp because I believe it was an amazing team over that period.

TheDalek079

Bench
did Wing really play half for most of the game in the prelim and gf in 2003? i thought he started the game at half, then moved to hooker once Sticky brought Finchy on

Dingo_dan

Juniors
I hate to say it, but I think the Roosters 2013 side would have a strong arguement for this title. I'm not just judging this on their team dominance alone, being minor premiers with a rock hard defence. I'm factoring in how strong their opposition were. Imo manly's 2013 side was as good, if not better, than their 2011 premiership side. The same could be said about the Rabbitohs. Their 2013 side was as good, if not better than their 2014 premiership side. The standard of those 3 teams was amazing. Melbourne storm, defending premiers, a side containing Slater, Smith and Cronk and a perennial premiership threat just didn't look on the same level as those 3 teams.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I hate to say it, but I think the Roosters 2013 side would have a strong arguement for this title. I'm not just judging this on their team dominance alone, being minor premiers with a rock hard defence. I'm factoring in how strong their opposition were. Imo manly's 2013 side was as good, if not better, than their 2011 premiership side. The same could be said about the Rabbitohs. Their 2013 side was as good, if not better than their 2014 premiership side. The standard of those 3 teams was amazing. Melbourne storm, defending premiers, a side containing Slater, Smith and Cronk and a perennial premiership threat just didn't look on the same level as those 3 teams.

In 2013 the Roosters held the opposition sides to zero In 6 matches, that is no mean feat.

H.H

Juniors
Yeah that opening week finals game where we beat Manly 4-0 was epic.

I am biased but I honestly can't recall a better defensive performance, especially when you consider the quality of that Manly side.

To beat them 4 times that season is ridiculous.

Yeah that opening week finals game where we beat Manly 4-0 was epic.

I am biased but I honestly can't recall a better defensive performance, especially when you consider the quality of that Manly side.

To beat them 4 times that season is ridiculous.

Watched it a few days ago - has pride of place in my collection of great Roosters matches, even if I watch the Grand Final just a little more often.

Latest posts