What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your five most underrated players of the NRL era (1998-2018)

Canard

Immortal
That's a trap a lot of clubs fall into. Player development is still a crucial part of the game and clubs underrate the value a stint in the NSW Cup or QLD Cup can do for their players. You look at the development of players like Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk, Daly Cherry-Evans, James Maloney etc. and they all spent time honing their craft.

Of course there's exceptions to the rule and Cleary was one of those young players with an old head on their shoulders, but very few halves have that trait. Luke Brooks certainly didn't but because of the situation the club found themselves in, they had to call him up early.

Brisbane and Sydney rarely go after those players. Their influence is felt more at the junior level where the Roosters go around to all the nurseries and pay overs for the best prospects. Brisbane on the other hand cast a wide net all across the South-East and even into Northern NSW. They rarely go after those type of players, it's usually desperate clubs that are lower on the ladder and desperately need a franchise half.

Your talking about players that were graded a decade ago though.

You're dreaming if you think Millennials are going to spend 3 years at state league level now

It didn't work out that way, but if you look at the players they had: Tedesco, Tuiaki, Lawrence, Marshall, Fifita, Dwyer, Taupau etc. they had the base there to be a dominant side.

That isn't taking away from Melbourne or Sydney. They're well run clubs and have reaped the rewards for their efforts. If the Tigers had the same people working for them, no doubt they would have been right up there.
If that happens though no way they keep all of them, especially with the shambles of an organisation the Tigers are.

They would have got maybe 1 year of that entire side together, and who knows if they would have kept form. Sometimes your career being cut down at its peak is better for your reputation even it shortens your career.

Big Pete

Referee
Your talking about players that were graded a decade ago though.

You're dreaming if you think Millennials are going to spend 3 years at state league level now

I'm talking specifically about players who were given time to develop their game and weren't expected to be the top-flight half of their team. They could have played a game of first grade here or there, but they weren't THE guy like Brooks had to be in 2014.

You'd be surprised at how many representative halves qualify.

If the Tigers had their way, they would have avoided putting Brooks into that position and opted to back him in 2015.

Iafeta

Referee
John Carlaw. Everyone spoke about Campion and Cleary and how they toughened up the Warriors and rightfully so, but John Carlaw got the job done well each and every time. He shut down some excellent attacking centres.

Anthony Don. So very consistent and a stalwart for what has been at times a woefully inconsistent club.

Lance Thompson. Probably a sentimental choice here but he was tough as boots with a touch of skill as well and yet because I guess of his size was never really seen as a rep option.

Luke Davico. Held that Raiders pack together well with sheer workrate and grit.

Robert Relf. Always felt he had a tough on class. Then again I was quite young back then but I liked him.

Tony gigot was absolutely amazing in the zero games he played for the sharks.

Tony Gigot was just a 22 year old kid when he joined the Cronulla squad. But he watched and studied Cronulla's first grade players and their techniques, and took his knowledge to a higher level in London, England, in France and in Super League.

Tony Gigot has managed to score 40 tries in 91 games for the Catalans in Super League since 2015. Not bad for a man playing centre and fullback.

gUt

Coach
Watching bits and pieces of the legends of league and it reminded me just how good Matt Bowen was (and still is). He could do it all. He might be my pick for most underrated player of the NRL era.

King hit

Coach
Watching bits and pieces of the legends of league and it reminded me just how good Matt Bowen was (and still is). He could do it all. He might be my pick for most underrated player of the NRL era.

You can’t be underrated when you’re rated by everyone

myrrh ken

First Grade
Tony Gigot was just a 22 year old kid when he joined the Cronulla squad. But he watched and studied Cronulla's first grade players and their techniques, and took his knowledge to a higher level in London, England, in France and in Super League.

Tony Gigot has managed to score 40 tries in 91 games for the Catalans in Super League since 2015. Not bad for a man playing centre and fullback.

So underrated he couldn't crack firsts.

King hit

Coach
Lance Thompson. Probably a sentimental choice here but he was tough as boots with a touch of skill as well and yet because I guess of his size was never really seen as a rep option.

He did have some stiff competition. Fitzgibbon, Ryan, Hindmarsh, Ricketson, Kennedy and Menzies were all going along when Thompson was at his best.

Latest posts