What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ten of rugby league’s best ever nicknames

TheFrog

Coach
Panthers winger from its inaugural team, Bob Landers, was Mary.

Frank Pritchard was Peanuts. Frank Puletua was 8-ball. Bob O'Reilly was The Bear.

Josh Mansour = Sauce. Jimmy Maloney = BBQ.

Last edited:

Incorrect

Coach
Robert Laurie played for Easts and was better known as "Rocky" Laurie...

His younger brother Mark who played for Parra was nicknamed "Pebbles"... Mark is one of the all time underrated Eels players IMO, never put in a bad performance, 100% effort every week...

Mule
The Zip Zip Man
Blocker
Fatty
The Guru
Slippery
Sludge
The King
Buckets
The Hair bears
The Bookends
Robbo
Chicken George
Chicka Ferguson

And already mentioned ...
Cement
Weaponhead

Soooooo much better than the current mundane cringeworthy acronyms we only get in commentary these days...

A couple of my favourite dragons players that I’m not sure were widely known or their origin but we used all the time

Hands-like-feet (Brent Kite)
and my namesake...
Johnny FiFumble..

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Jaiman Lowe - JLo
Paul Bowman - bear
Josh hannay- hed (if you’ve been up face to face with josh he has the volume of 2.5 heads)

hrundi99

First Grade
Remember about 10 years or so ago when Sparkles hammered the holy shit out of Mal Menninga (smell my finger) in that charity match? That certainly was a RLWTF moment.

Sparkles hit him a bit harder than necessary so Mal got up and pretended to take a swing as a joke but old Sparkles thought he was serious and responded then Mal got serious. It was totes awks.

T.S Quint

Coach
Steve ‘Slippery’ Morris.

Peni Terepo: Penis Torpedo.

Jamie ‘Killer’ Lyon.

Chris ‘f**kwit’ Sandow.

Eric Grothe Jr: GuJu (ok I may have been the only person to call him that, but so many people were calling him Guru I was like “But that’s his old man’s name!”)

Ray ‘Shut up Hadley’ Hadley.

And of course the best and most inventive nickname in Rugby League:

Peter ‘Sterlo’ Sterling.

When Jason Stevens played with the Sharks he was bestowed a nick name by a member of the crowd.
Every single home game that Stevens played this guy would wait until he had the ball, and every single time would yell out "GO MR. PLOW!!!!"

It became so addictive that one night I was at the SFS watching Australia vs England and Stevens was playing, every time he ran it up that guys voice was in my head.
I couldn't help it, I started yelling it... next thing you know all the people in our bay were yelling it.
Nowhere near the best one, but a fun one nevertheless.

carcharias

Immortal
When Jason Stevens played with the Sharks he was bestowed a nick name by a member of the crowd.
Every single home game that Stevens played this guy would wait until he had the ball, and every single time would yell out "GO MR. PLOW!!!!"

It became so addictive that one night I was at the SFS watching Australia vs England and Stevens was playing, every time he ran it up that guys voice was in my head.
I couldn't help it, I started yelling it... next thing you know all the people in our bay were yelling it.
Nowhere near the best one, but a fun one nevertheless.

We used to call Nathan Long Mr Joshua

That crazy albino son of a bitch from lethal weapon

Latest posts