What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Lions Tour 2019

Stallion

First Grade
It doesn't matter what happened in the mid 90s.

The fact is the FTA providers don't have to bid for it so i ask again, do you believe they should be forced to bid?

Not my call. I believe prudent administrators should have this tournament as a simulcast tv coverage. It's to their fault that this has not occured. I'm hoping that this 'simulcast ' coverage may still be arranged. At the moment it's not good for the code to have something like 30percent exposure to the tv viewing Public. It's not a good outcome for a code looking to.become more internationally relevant. And the kids of Australia are less aware that rugby league is being played elsewhere around the world. (this knowledge being a distinct advantage in gaining juniors with other codes like Aust rules not able to boast this fact )

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Not my call. I believe prudent administrators should have this tournament as a simulcast tv coverage. It's to their fault that this has not occured. I'm hoping that this 'simulcast ' coverage may still be arranged. At the it's not good for the code to have some thing like 30ercent exposure to the tv viewing Public. It's not a good outcome for a code looking to.become more internationally relevant. And the kids of Australia are less aware that rugby league is being played elsewhere around the world. (this knowledge being a distinct advantage in gaining juniors with other codes like Aust rules not able to boast this fact )

Didn’t those kids watch the World Cup last year on free to air? Obviosuly this is t the answer to spreading the game then.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not my call. I believe prudent administrators should have this tournament as a simulcast tv coverage. It's to their fault that this has not occured. )

What would you have done if you were in charge after the FTA stations told you they weren't interested in buying the rights to it? I'm intrigued to know lol

I suspect Fox probably paid very little or nothing for it but the NRL can excuse that way by saying its part of the NRL tv deal.

roughyedspud

Coach
Dave woods has just been on BBC Radio5live to talk up the prospect of the GB tour at the end of the year...

Twice he referred to GB as England and pointed out its been years since GB played in PNG but corrected himself by saying the England knights played there a couple of months ago...and I'll add that Wales & Ireland have also played in PNG too recently..

f**king joke

Stallion

First Grade
But the World Cup was on for a month, much of it (maybe all of it I can’t remember) was on free to air.

I was referring to the nIgate of the world cup final. A day/night Ashes test was scheduled on same night as the Rugby League world cup final. This would have had a significant impact on Australia wide tv ratings of the Kangaroos v England cup final in my opinion.

Pommy

Coach
I was referring to the nIgate of the world cup final. A day/night Ashes test was scheduled on same night as the Rugby League world cup final. This would have had a significant impact on Australia wide tv ratings of the Kangaroos v England cup final in my opinion.

I don’t dispute that, but I was referring to your claim people don’t know that league is played worldwide and having the 9s on FTA would change this.
If people don’t know it is played worldwide why didn’t the World Cup which was on FTA inform them?
You also claimed the ashes had a massive impact on the English TV figure (I think you said halved), something in my opinion is very unlikely and something you haven’t backed up at all.

Stallion

First Grade
I don’t dispute that, but I was referring to your claim people don’t know that league is played worldwide and having the 9s on FTA would change this.
If people don’t know it is played worldwide why didn’t the World Cup which was on FTA inform them?
You also claimed the ashes had a massive impact on the English TV figure (I think you said halved), something in my opinion is very unlikely and something you haven’t backed up at all.

Should have spelt it out for you! Many people, especially neutrals are not aware of where Rugby League exists or even if it exists. Those people and young kids become aware through such free to air exposure. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bit of a passenger in RLWC17 so not sure he is deserving of a space unless he has an outstanding SL season. Id like to see the RFL blood some young players on this tour in prep for RLWC2021

Sean O’Loughlin heads into 2019 knowing how he wants the year to end – with a place on the Lions tour Down Under. The England captain turned 36 last November but will head into the new Super League season with an open mind of playing on beyond this campaign. Regardless of whether this is his last season or not, he would love to continue his international career and play for the revived Great Britain side for the autumn tour. “I’d love to be a part of that,” said O’Loughlin.“My international debut was with Great Britain and if they want me to be a part of that, I 100 per cent would be.” O’Loughlin played for GB from 2004 to ‘07 before it was disbanded, and the national team has competed as England since. Wayne Bennett’s squad face Tests against New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Papua New Guinea later this year.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/ru...n-wants-place-on-great-britain-tour-1-9514185

Pommy

Coach
Should have spelt it out for you! Many people, especially neutrals are not aware of where Rugby League exists or even if it exists. Those people and young kids become aware through such free to air exposure. Hope that helps.

And there was free to air exposure last year at the World Cup yet you still claim they don’t know, clearly FTA exposure isn’t the answer.
I’m not even sure what Australians knowing rugby league is played in Ireland or Italy is going to achieve, until England (nobody else looks like they could even go close ATM) can win a World Cup international league is going to struggle.

Stallion

First Grade
And there was free to air exposure last year at the World Cup yet you still claim they don’t know, clearly FTA exposure isn’t the answer.
I’m not even sure what Australians knowing rugby league is played in Ireland or Italy is going to achieve, until England (nobody else looks like they could even go close ATM) can win a World Cup international league is going to struggle.

Think I must repeatedly qualify the context. I suggest that the rugby-league world cup audience may have been halved due to the clash with the day /night Ashes test on tv. This along with a 3/4 full stadium in Brisbane does not crelate a good look and total audience for what should have been a great night for rugby league in tv ratings and crowd number. Unfortunately both these 'pluses" were thwarted. We have discussed some of the reasons and yes a reduced number of kids would have occured along with a dissapointing look that the rugby league world cup final could not attract a full house. Overall not impressive for kids or neutrals. Luckily the rugby league was quality. Thank God for the players. The RL administrators failed dismally in my opinion on many fronts.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Think I must repeatedly qualify the context. I suggest that the rugby-league world cup audience may have been halved due to the clash with the day /night Ashes test on tv. This along with a 3/4 full stadium in Brisbane does not crelate a good look and total audience for what should have been a great night for rugby league in tv ratings and crowd number. Unfortunately both these 'pluses" were thwarted. We have discussed some of the reasons and yes a reduced number of kids would have occured along with a dissapointing look that the rugby league world cup final could not attract a full house. Overall not impressive for kids or neutrals. Luckily the rugby league was quality. Thank God for the players. The RL administrators failed dismally in my opinion on many fronts.

Can you please stop derailing threads, this post has nothing to do with the GB Lions tour in November.

Stallion

First Grade
Can you please stop derailing threads, this post has nothing to do with the GB Lions tour in November.

How unfair! If you care to look Pommy alluded to this! I corrected his information/misunderstanding! You are a piece of sly work PR!

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach

Once again the World Cup was on for a month. Not one night.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Back to the Lions tour, can’t wait to see the jersey design they come up with. This was the last time the Lions played in 2007.
Hopefully they come up with something iconic and not naff.

BB3D4ABE-4689-4BE9-B694-7F33BD641F4E.jpeg

Stallion

First Grade
Once again the World Cup was on for a month. Not one night.

Wow. And what's your pointment! ? Just like any world cup they have marquee games. England v Kangaroos was allocated Melbourne for the opener for God's sakes! Not only a 2/3 full stadium was embarassing it would have featured a full SFS on Sydney or Newcastle. Instead the AFL organiser kicked off the tournament in Melbourne. This was just one mistake of many in the scheduling and marketing of this world cup! If you want elaborate more mistakes I easily can if you like!?

Pommy

Coach
Wow. And what's your pointment! ? Just like any world cup they have marquee games. England v Kangaroos was allocated Melbourne for the opener for God's sakes! Not only a 2/3 full stadium was embarassing it would have featured a full SFS on Sydney or Newcastle. Instead the AFL organiser kicked off the tournament in Melbourne. This was just one mistake of many in the scheduling and marketing of this world cup! If you want elaborate more mistakes I easily can if you like!?

Again this has nothing to do with your claim.
Your claim “young people don’t know league is played world wide, having the 9s on FTA will fix this”
The World Cup was on FTA for a month. All this other stuff isn’t relevant to your original point.
What I want you to elaborate on is why a month of World Cup on FTA wasnt able to do what you expect a few days of 9s to achieve.

Stallion

First Grade
Again this has nothing to do with your claim.
Your claim “young people don’t know league is played world wide, having the 9s on FTA will fix this”
The World Cup was on FTA for a month. All this other stuff isn’t relevant to your original point.
What I want you to elaborate on is why a month of World Cup on FTA wasnt able to do what you expect a few days of 9s to achieve.

Free to air tv coverage is much more visible than Pay tv!? It's logical that if you want a new audience to watch FTA tv is the way to go! ? Don't get what your logic is in this one either!?