What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What made me laugh about the article in The Australian quoted up thread is the following bit -

I find it funny as Daley cited the Northern Beaches Hospital as a fiasco, and it is one that was funded privately also. It is so good, after criticising it, Daley wants the same process for funding upgrades of public stadiums? How f'ing stupid is that?!

Hang on, if Labor has been running around claiming the upgrade is terrible value for money, why would a provate company put money in?

Governments work with private sector investors, because the project is a good deal but the gov just doesnt have the capital. If it is really such a bad ideadfor the gov to build it, why would they think they can suddenly convince a conpany to pay up?

What im worried about is that Labor will talk itself into a corner then need to do a shitty deal to save face that will f*ck everyone

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Hang on, if Labor has been running around claiming the upgrade is terrible value for money, why would a provate company put money in?

Governments work with private sector investors, because the project is a good deal but the gov just doesnt have the capital. If it is really such a bad ideadfor the gov to build it, why would they think they can suddenly convince a conpany to pay up?

What im worried about is that Labor will talk itself into a corner then need to do a shitty deal to save face that will f*ck everyone
...with the net result being a shitty replacement stadium that doesn't service anyone's needs.

magpie_man

Juniors
Don't worry, the AFL will come to the rescue and pitch-in a few dollars, a dozen Battle of the Bridge tickets and a June 2014 AFL Record to make sure the ground gets built.
They'll even broaden its commercial appeal by ensuring that it's "multi-purpose" (i.e. Oval).

taipan

Referee
Don't worry, the AFL will come to the rescue and pitch-in a few dollars, a dozen Battle of the Bridge tickets and a June 2014 AFL Record to make sure the ground gets built.
They'll even broaden its commercial appeal by ensuring that it's "multi-purpose" (i.e. Oval).

The word stealth , comes from the Oxford Dictionary meaning a sporting code underhandedly securing an impractical sporting stadium, then adjusted to their requirements ,without any real intent to use it on a regular basis .
Or " to roger other codes and thus gain a huge advantage."

TheFrog

Coach
Looking at the pics its already begun, its a bit late now! I hope Labor win just to see a embarrassing backflip from them not seen since DCE. No way they cant go ahead with a rebuild now.
Being on the other side of the land, it would be hard to understand the feeling of the majority around here who are being expected to pay for this extravaganza. You win an election primarily on an issue, it is not really possible to change position once in power. More likely they'll underwrite a loan to the Trust, if the Trust really want to go ahead with it and can dream up an income stream to pay it back. Or maybe it'll just sit there gathering cobwebs for a couple of years while they (and its former tenants) consider their position.

TheFrog

Coach
Allianz is like the VN Commodore for Holden released around the same year. Might have done the job back in the day and still chugs along but it is stuck back in 1988 when it entered the world, and everyone else is driving around in 2018 model supercharged V8’s
As a general rule, stadiums have a much longer life expectancy than Holden cars.

The people will vote on this in a few short weeks. If they vote for it, it will get done. If they don't, well it seems there's a there's a problem isn't there?

Perth Red

Post Whore
As a general rule, stadiums have a much longer life expectancy than Holden cars.

The people will vote on this in a few short weeks. If they vote for it, it will get done. If they don't, well it seems there's a there's a problem isn't there?

But they wont really will they? I would imagine this issue is a very very minor influencer in the majority of the publics voting persuaders. Labor may well get in but I suspect the stadium issue isnt what will win it for them. Maybe those 15k Roosters fans can sway the result?

Marlins

Juniors
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...n/news-story/286ba9b7a80e0d6651296416617e7686

NSW Government dismisses Opposition’s 11th hour bid to stop Allianz Stadium demolition

The NSW Government has dismissed an 11th hour bid by the Labor Opposition to stop the demolition of Sydney’s Allianz Stadium, revealing that the “bobcats will be moving in” on the site by early next month.

NSW Sports minister, Stuart Ayres, today rejected claims the Berejiklian Government was acting against the will of NSW voters by proceeding with the $730 million stadium in Sydney’s Moore Park, just three months before the NSW election.

He said NSW’s $2 billion vision for three new world class stadiums had been in train for more than two years, with the first of the new stadiums in Sydney’s west — the $360 million Bankwest stadium in Parramatta — due to be opened in April.

“The Olympics were 20 years ago and Sydney is now at the back of the pack,” Mr Ayres told The Australian.

“Without world class facilities the best sports and entertainment events will skip Sydney altogether.

“This is why NSW is running last because people like Michael Daley (Labor Opposition leader) get in the way of getting NSW back to being number one.”

Voter backlash over the $2 billion stadium building has been seized upon by NSW Labor after polling last year revealed up to 60 per cent of voters thought the government’s much vaunted “three-stadia” plan was a waste of public money.

“I’m asking the premier.. on behalf of the people of NSW, stop the demolition and wait until the election,” NSW Labor Opposition leader, Michael Daley said.

“Only 43 days until we go into caretaker mode.. there is no good reason to knock it down.”

Mr Daley said while the Berejiklian Government had pressed ahead with its “grandiose” vision, the $2.2 billion being ploughed into sporting venues was desperately needed for Sydney’s schools, hospitals and its failing public transport system.

He said the government had a long track record of “poor planning and mistakes”, from its “disastrous light rail” project to the new crisis-riven Northern Beaches Hospital in Sydney.

He said if Labor was elected to government it would “stop the madness” and move to have any refurbishments to the Allianz Stadium funded privately.

Mr Ayres told The Australian the demolition and rebuilding of the Olympic Stadium at Homebush in Sydney’s west and the Sydney Football Stadium at Moore Park was the only way NSW could hope to compete with a series of bigger and better stadiums that had been built across the country in the past few years.

The NRL, he said, had threatened to pull out of Sydney for the grand final unless the new stadiums were built.

He said the new $1.6 billion Perth Optus Stadium, opened last year with a 60,000 seat capacity along with the northern stand at Melbourne’s MCG had set a “new benchmark’.

“Our stadiums are old, the fans don’t like them,” Mr Ayres said.

“In Victoria they have built Docklands Stadium, AAMI Park and they’ve rebuilt the entire Melbourne Cricket Ground — all since the Sydney football stadium was built in 1988.”

The rebuilt Sydney Football Stadium will be a 45,000-seat venue and is expected to be completed by 2012.

Construction on the Olympic Stadium is slated to begin this year. Touted touted as the new “crowning jewel’’ of the nation’s sporting venues, it will have a seating capacity of 75,000.

Utleast by the sound of this, the libs can’t experience anymore back lash, and So if they do win the next election. They’ll probably end up giving both Moore Park and Homebush the full treatments. The full 2.3 billion will be spent on all the stadia. There still referring to ANZ as sydney’s Crowning Jewel.

Shannons0515VNCommodore1.jpg

Versus

529010_65815_1_352ec564332fe92b.jpg

Prometheus

Juniors
This suggests the election will be fought entirely on the stadium issue which is a laughable assertion at best.

Very much so.

Most of the truly important government responsibilities are handled by the state governments- eg hospitals, schools and transport. Realistically, what happens to the SFS should have very little influence on how people vote.

unforgiven

Bench
Very much so.

Most of the truly important government responsibilities are handled by the state governments- eg hospitals, schools and transport. Realistically, what happens to the SFS should have very little influence on how people vote.
You would hope there are more important issues than a minuscule outlay on stadiums.

Being on the other side of the land, it would be hard to understand the feeling of the majority around here who are being expected to pay for this extravaganza. You win an election primarily on an issue, it is not really possible to change position once in power. More likely they'll underwrite a loan to the Trust, if the Trust really want to go ahead with it and can dream up an income stream to pay it back. Or maybe it'll just sit there gathering cobwebs for a couple of years while they (and its former tenants) consider their position.

The Trust makes, at best a profit, of about $1.5 million a year at best of its revenue get plowed back into the amenities and eaten up in running costs. If you doubt me check out its latest annul report yourself here - https://www.scgt.nsw.gov.au/media/4057/scgt-2018-annual-report.pdf

As such, is the term of the loan going to be over a couple of hundred centuries?

Perth Red

Post Whore

unforgiven

Bench
Frog would be voting Labor if they promised to spend $50 billion on stadiums
I've actually been a labor voter my whole life but I really like the progress the liberals have made in NSW. I would be inclined to vote for them in the NSW election but I live in Penrith and that would mean voting for Ayres, who I cannot stand.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Meanwhile in Auckland, Eden Park has some serious cashflow issues.. with huge maintenance costs coming.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12187857

Not sure whether this puts a new stadium one step closer - there doesn't seem to be an appetite from Mayor Goff at the moment (funny though, he seemed keen a few months back).

Maybe he's just playing coy and leaving it up to his fellow councilors to be swayed by this news?

Anyway, *if* a new stadium in central Auckland is built it'll have the Blues, Auckland provincial rugby, and Auckland's All Blacks tests as tenants.. plus some concerts - and it may well make a play for Warriors games.

Note: from what I gather, the Warriors signed a new 10 year lease to play at Mount Smart in 2016.. but Mount Smart is owned by Auckland Council.. if a new stadium has some funding from Council, and they have their eyes on redeveloping Mount Smart for another use.. they may go to the Warriors to negotiate some way out.

Cricket is already planned to move from Eden Park to Western Springs (currently a speedway track, to be redeveloped as a cricket oval). . So any NEW stadium downtown will be rectangular.

Last edited: