What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Wicket-keeper?

Interested to hear people’s thoughts on this one.

I mentioned in another thread the idea of Cameron Bancroft going back to keeping full time, he’d be pretty handy if he could get his keeping up to standard.

What about the other more mainstream options?

Alex Carey is the one mentioned most, a little puzzling to me as he only averages 29 in shield. Looks a good keeper though.

Seb Gotch, looks an old style compact keeper. Decent batting average in the 30’s

Jimmy Peirson - don’t really know a lot about him. Averages 32 with the bat.

Josh Phillipe - looks good but hasn’t produced with the bat yet. I’ve read there’s some big expectations of him though.

Peter Nevill - seem unlikely he’d get a recall, plus his batting has gone downhill

Jake Doran - Surprised he got a call up for the CA XI, seems like he’d be behind others. Averages 24.

Sam Whiteman - WTF has happened to him? Can’t seem to get a start with WA. Was it his keeping? Because he averaged 35 with the bat.

Who are the other dark horses?

Timbo

Staff member
Whiteman had some odd-field issues as I recall.

I don’t know how long-term a solution Carey is. 29 and a pretty crappy FC batting record.

I like the look of Gotch tbh, and Pierson has been consistently solid for a while.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Dark horse would be the great Wade :D

I think they will try and groom Carey for test cricket. Give him every opportunity to take over when Paine steps down. Still time for him to develop both batting and keeping assuming Paine will be around for another 12 months at least

No one else screaming out tbh...

Whiteman had some odd-field issues as I recall.

I don’t know how long-term a solution Carey is. 29 and a pretty crappy FC batting record.

I like the look of Gotch tbh, and Pierson has been consistently solid for a while.

That’s what I don’t get about Carey, all these people I talk to on twitter seem sold on him.

Dark horse would be the great Wade :D

I think they will try and groom Carey for test cricket. Give him every opportunity to take over when Paine steps down. Still time for him to develop both batting and keeping assuming Paine will be around for another 12 months at least

No one else screaming out tbh...

But why not go with someone younger who has a better batting record? I don’t get the love for Carey. But then I don’t get a whole heap these selectors do.

TheParraboy

Staff member
But why not go with someone younger who has a better batting record? I don’t get the love for Carey. But then I don’t get a whole heap these selectors do.

Like I said I think Carey will have some time to develop (improve) his batting and keeping before Paine retires. he will be around 30yo and will have a good 3-4yrs at test level IF he makes it. Hopefully in this time next couple of years , maybe someone younger can start making a claim?

Our batting is our main worry. A keeper who averages 29 or 39 ain't gonna improve the side that much in its current state

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Firstly I think we all agree that a keeper must be able to bat and and an average of 35-40 is a prerequisite.

I've already given my opinions on Paine, we need to do better imo but who will that be ?

The selectors obviously have their eye on Doran as he's playing against SL.I hope this game is televised or at least streamed a there are a few players I would like to see, Patterson for one.

Carey was the heir apparent about 3 years ago but just hasn't done enough lately for mine, no improvement at all.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Skull was raving about a young SA keeper who he thought would be the next big thing but doesn't play Shied cricket because he is behind Carey, forget his name.

Big opportunity for some young bloke to take over from Paine in the next year or so.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Skull was raving about a young SA keeper who he thought would be the next big thing but doesn't play Shied cricket because he is behind Carey, forget his name.

Big opportunity for some young bloke to take over from Paine in the next year or so.
Harry Neilsen, Super coaches son.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I thought h was referring to some 18 year old kid, he said he was too young for Shield cricket

Harry Nielsen is 23

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Harry Nielsen
Australian cricketer
upload_2019-1-10_20-23-32.jpeg
Description
Harry Nielsen is an Australian cricketer, the son of former South Australian cricketer Tim Nielsen. Nielsen filled in as a wicket-keeper in a tour match for South Africa against Cricket Australia XI in 2016, replacing South African wicket-keeper Quinton de Kock when he was ruled out with a viral infection. Wikipedia

Born: 3 May 1995 (age 23 years)

Parents: Tim Nielsen
Education: St Michael's College, Adelaide
Batting style: Left-handed
First-class debut: 15 November 2017 Cricket Australia XI v England
Current teams: South Australia cricket team (Wicket-keeper), Adelaide Strikers (Wicket-keeper)

Bazal

Post Whore
Carey will have a few years in the role for sure. So he's definitely the "next" despite his poor average, unless things change.

Ryan Phillipe or Seb Taint are good keepers, theyd be a shout after Carey. Although as mentioned Seb Taint keeps in short sleeves which is f**king village so he's out immediately.

Harry Nielsen could be anything. Which means he could play 100 tests or never play more than ten games if Shield cricket, cos he's 12 years old

typicalfan

Coach
I think Carey is potentially better than Paine I think Carey will improve over the next 2-3 seasons and be transitioned into the role.

Its a bit far away to predict and there aren't really any standouts.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think Carey is potentially better than Paine I think Carey will improve over the next 2-3 seasons and be transitioned into the role.

Its a bit far away to predict and there aren't really any standouts.

Problem is Carey will be 30 in three seasons time.

He'll be next for sure, but he's more of a 2013 Brad Haddin (albeit with more wears ahead of him) than a genuinely long term option

typicalfan

Coach
Problem is Carey will be 30 in three seasons time.

He'll be next for sure, but he's more of a 2013 Brad Haddin (albeit with more wears ahead of him) than a genuinely long term option
What is wrong with 30? That he will only have 4-6 good years left? He will most likely be in his prime at 30.

His seasonal average for the last 2 and a half seasons is 33, 35 and 75 (off a small sample size) so he is showing improvement. He already has Paine covered for FC tons as well and is already in the other two international teams. He is being groomed for sure.

Bazal

Post Whore
What is wrong with 30? That he will only have 4-6 good years left? He will most likely be in his prime at 30.

His seasonal average for the last 2 and a half seasons is 33, 35 and 75 (off a small sample size) so he is showing improvement. He already has Paine covered for FC tons as well and is already in the other two international teams. He is being groomed for sure.

Nothing, really. But it's obviously much harder to recover from injuries, loss of form etc the older you get. So at 33 if he goes through a big slump, it's more likely he doesn't recover from that.

See Shaun Marsh for reference.

Point is you basically need two "next" keepers because one will be 30-odd when he gets a genuine stint

I’m adamant that you need to pick on keeping ability firstly and foremostly... pick the best keeper not the second best keeper with a better batting average..

To stand in the field for days, focusing on each and every ball, take every chance, keep the chat up, and stop byes/wides to the boundary etc... you need the best person to do all of that. Pick the second best keeper and you risk dropping chances, leaking runs.. it’s the most crucial fielding position..

No keeper at first class level is a mug with the bat. But just like the mythical all-rounder people have been chasing for years, the Adam Gilchrist keeper/batsman is possibly a once in a lifetime player..

Sure if there are a number of keepers pretty even in ability then their batting average may come into it but I’d always choose the best keeper with an average of 25 over the second best keeper with an average of 50.