What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Finals & What They Meant To You...

carcharias

Immortal
2010 gf - best night of my life.

Felt like barr saints fans, everyone was riding the chooks to win as the team with finals momentum and to continue to lap up the 'choke' tag more.

Then to put on a 32-8 scoreline was especially sweet against easts and that smug prick Brian Smith after his 'smells like Newtown' comments mid-90's.

Smith was completely outcoached by the master with a switch in attack to our right side catching easts completely off, and exposing an inexperienced Joey Leilua on the wing. 2 bad reads on both Nightingale tries.

Fox commentary still makes me laugh to this day when watching the replay - had a distinct melancholy feel with the fact we had won it with 15m to go and they couldn't run their choker jibes next year.
They were still carrying on about the Morris foot into touch well into the 2nd half, when the game was dusted!

Best of all, was the fact a big chunk of the team were home grown juniors who had experienced the shit times for close to a decade prior - would have been extra sweet for the likes of Cooper, Creagh, Young, Gasnier and Hornby.

Then the scenes of the Princes Highway lockdown and Kogarah Oval hysteria after the game will be burnt into my brain forever.

Sharks win was probably better.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Losing it to Cronulla, of all the fcking clubs!

Was amazing to attend my first GF the following year and see us lift it though. Didn't have the same hype or feeling as a Wembley CC final for me but still a great experience.

PR I've seen you write a few times that you are a Storm fan. When Perth get a team do you think that you will be able to put the Storm loyalty aside when the Pirates play them - do you think the Pirates will immediately become your # 1 team? I don't follow any team in particular but I am very fond of both the Storm and Warriors and have trouble watching them play each other sometimes.

PR I've seen you write a few times that you are a Storm fan. When Perth get a team do you think that you will be able to put the Storm loyalty aside when the Pirates play them - do you think the Pirates will immediately become your # 1 team? I don't follow any team in particular but I am very fond of both the Storm and Warriors and have trouble watching them play each other sometimes.

Just curious. Why don’t you follow a team if you’re so interested in the sport?

DIOGENES

Juniors
1967 Newcastle (I was 11)
West Rozellas were unbackable and had a strong wind behind them in the first half. That filthy mongrel of a referee Noel Sporr ensured his team North Blue Bags got 2 points ahead with 20 minutes to go. Then followed the worst 20 minutes of my life. Norths kicked dead on the 4th tackle each time (about 8 times) and the then rules meant Wests had to kick back to them with a 25 yd dropout

The next year the rules went to 6 tackles and a 25 yd tap

It was still a matter of deep concern 47 years later
https://www.theherald.com.au/story/2570797/revisiting-1967-newcastle-rugby-league-grand-final/

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

Yes I will be fully committed to the perth team from day one, they will be my home city team after all. I’ll always remain a storm fan though and be good to have two teams to cheer on every week! Pirates v Storm will probably be the most relaxed game for me as I want both to win :)

carcharias

Immortal
Yes I will be fully committed to the perth team from day one, they will be my home city team after all. I’ll always remain a storm fan though and be good to have two teams to cheer on every week! Pirates v Storm will probably be the most relaxed game for me as I want both to win :)

So it’s Storm forever.

2010Dragons

Bench
Best 1977 and replay 1977 and 2010...say no more.
Still can’t watch the replay of 1999.
1992 1993. Very hard two take aswell

The 2003 Panthers Roosters grand final means a lot to me.

Was there with some friends, linked up with my boss after the match (he was there also), headed to the cross, and when the two certain blondes we were with at iguana bar decided to bugger off instead he took me to a “bar” around the corner.. He told me to pick one and he paid. My first ever pro.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Just curious. Why don’t you follow a team if you’re so interested in the sport?

I am born and bred in Brisbane and like many in our city don't really have an affinity with the Broncos. I respect them as an important club in the league and appreciate their presence, I don't hate them, I'm just not a fan. I was a Sharks fan growing up and remember fondly the Peachey, Rogers, ET, Healy, Green, Lang, Long, Ryan generation of the mid 90's but that was more because of the group of players than the club.

When that generation retired I gravitated towards the expansion clubs as I really had a passion to see the game grow in new markets, hence Storm and Warriors. Today, I keenly follow the results of Catalans, Toulouse and Toronto also.

The part of the season that I live for is rep season. I absolutely love State of Origin (of course) but even more so love watching international footy. I love watching the Kiwis and England having a crack at the Kangaroos, I have really loved The Pacific Tests that have popped up on the calendar for the last 6 or so years and I love the world cup and the growth that the game is seeing around the world.

I could honestly watch a quality game between any two clubs or any two countries and just enjoy the game.

I am born and bred in Brisbane and like many in our city don't really have an affinity with the Broncos. I respect them as an important club in the league and appreciate their presence, I don't hate them, I'm just not a fan. I was a Sharks fan growing up and remember fondly the Peachey, Rogers, ET, Healy, Green, Lang, Long, Ryan generation of the mid 90's but that was more because of the group of players than the club.

When that generation retired I gravitated towards the expansion clubs as I really had a passion to see the game grow in new markets, hence Storm and Warriors. Today, I keenly follow the results of Catalans, Toulouse and Toronto also.

The part of the season that I live for is rep season. I absolutely love State of Origin (of course) but even more so love watching international footy. I love watching the Kiwis and England having a crack at the Kangaroos, I have really loved The Pacific Tests that have popped up on the calendar for the last 6 or so years and I love the world cup and the growth that the game is seeing around the world.

I could honestly watch a quality game between any two clubs or any two countries and just enjoy the game.

Will you follow someone in the future?

Charlie124

First Grade
2005 GF - Eels v Dragons (ooops!) I mean Cows v Tigers
Very exciting to watch my team make their first ever GF, especially since we'd only made the top 8 for the first time ever the year before - this was a fairytale already. If i'm truly honest, i hoped we could win this game somehow but deep down i didn't know how. The Tigers had put a huge score on us in the first week of the finals already and I feel like we were just riding a wave that was sure to break eventually. The hurt from this loss was more out of feeling like we might not ever make another one, rather than a dislike or rivalry with the Tigers - who i quite enjoyed watching as they played a similar style to the Cows.

2015 GF - Cows v Broncos
This is a day i'll never forget - it had everything a Bronco hating Cows fan could ever ask for.
  • We won our first comp.
  • We beat our bitter rivals in the process.
  • We handed the Broncos their first and only (so far) GF loss.
  • We tied the game on the buzzer in the corner, just when most Broncos fans must've thought it was theirs. Be honest.
  • We did it in Golden Point, rubbing salt into an already uber-salty Wayne Bennett.
  • We gave the gift of Bronco tears to rest of the NRL fans to enjoy for years to come. Neutral fans dine out on this game.
  • We gave Justin Hodges the retirement present he deserves.
  • We were part of what's now widely regarded as the best/if not one of the best GF's ever.
I watched this game in my home, in the dark, on the edge of my couch with only my mother (a lifelong Bronco tragic) alongside me, completely silent. I couldn't bare to be around anyone else. I didn't want to talk, i didn't want anyone else to talk. Im pretty sure i was crying when Ben Hunt spilled the ball off the kickoff and the reality set in that we had a scrum feed right in front of the Broncos posts, the win was right there and all we had to do was take it. I was inventing all the ways we could possibly lose it from here, mentally preparing myself for the worst. A charge down, an intercept pass, lost in the play the ball, drop-goal going wide to give them seven tackles and field position to win it. I ran through every scenario in my head. I clenched my teeth with every pass and run, expecting someone to knock on at any moment. Then...

BANG!

Even when JT slotted the kick and the players began celebrating, i refused to let myself accept what i'd seen it until i saw our score tick over to 17 and the little "GOAL" graphic ran across the scoreboard on the screen followed by "FULL TIME". I'm sure i just stared at my TV for a few moments trying to gather my thoughts. I still struggle to find the right words to describe my feelings after that. We'd won one, and life was good.

2017 GF - Cows v Storm
In all honesty, i often forget we were even in this GF. From about the halfway point (or probably even earlier) of the season, it was just a race to see who would lose to Melbourne on Grand Final day. They were simply miles and miles ahead of everyone else in the comp, it wasn't even close. We limped into 8th spot off the back of the Dragons choking hardcore to the Dogs (who had nothing to play for) in the final round. Half of our players would've booked holidays if they weren't already booked for surgery.
We had a mini fairytale run through the finals series, beating the Sharks, Eels and then Roosters to book our seat at the slaughterhouse, those three weeks were our Grand Final. The Storm were never going to lose that game and it made watching the game at my Storm fan mates place a really enjoyable, stress free experience. There was no tension, no expectation, just satisfaction in knowing that my boys had done an almighty job to get there. Obviously i'd have loved for us to pull off the upset of the century but i couldn't be disappointed with the result really, it was inevitable.

2005 GF - Eels v Dragons (ooops!) I mean Cows v Tigers
Very exciting to watch my team make their first ever GF, especially since we'd only made the top 8 for the first time ever the year before - this was a fairytale already. If i'm truly honest, i hoped we could win this game somehow but deep down i didn't know how. The Tigers had put a huge score on us in the first week of the finals already and I feel like we were just riding a wave that was sure to break eventually. The hurt from this loss was more out of feeling like we might not ever make another one, rather than a dislike or rivalry with the Tigers - who i quite enjoyed watching as they played a similar style to the Cows.

2015 GF - Cows v Broncos
This is a day i'll never forget - it had everything a Bronco hating Cows fan could ever ask for.
  • We won our first comp.
  • We beat our bitter rivals in the process.
  • We handed the Broncos their first and only (so far) GF loss.
  • We tied the game on the buzzer in the corner, just when most Broncos fans must've thought it was theirs. Be honest.
  • We did it in Golden Point, rubbing salt into an already uber-salty Wayne Bennett.
  • We gave the gift of Bronco tears to rest of the NRL fans to enjoy for years to come. Neutral fans dine out on this game.
  • We gave Justin Hodges the retirement present he deserves.
  • We were part of what's now widely regarded as the best/if not one of the best GF's ever.
I watched this game in my home, in the dark, on the edge of my couch with only my mother (a lifelong Bronco tragic) alongside me, completely silent. I couldn't bare to be around anyone else. I didn't want to talk, i didn't want anyone else to talk. Im pretty sure i was crying when Ben Hunt spilled the ball off the kickoff and the reality set in that we had a scrum feed right in front of the Broncos posts, the win was right there and all we had to do was take it. I was inventing all the ways we could possibly lose it from here, mentally preparing myself for the worst. A charge down, an intercept pass, lost in the play the ball, drop-goal going wide to give them seven tackles and field position to win it. I ran through every scenario in my head. I clenched my teeth with every pass and run, expecting someone to knock on at any moment. Then...

BANG!

Even when JT slotted the kick and the players began celebrating, i refused to let myself accept what i'd seen it until i saw our score tick over to 17 and the little "GOAL" graphic ran across the scoreboard on the screen followed by "FULL TIME". I'm sure i just stared at my TV for a few moments trying to gather my thoughts. I still struggle to find the right words to describe my feelings after that. We'd won one, and life was good.

2017 GF - Cows v Storm
In all honesty, i often forget we were even in this GF. From about the halfway point (or probably even earlier) of the season, it was just a race to see who would lose to Melbourne on Grand Final day. They were simply miles and miles ahead of everyone else in the comp, it wasn't even close. We limped into 8th spot off the back of the Dragons choking hardcore to the Dogs (who had nothing to play for) in the final round. Half of our players would've booked holidays if they weren't already booked for surgery.
We had a mini fairytale run through the finals series, beating the Sharks, Eels and then Roosters to book our seat at the slaughterhouse, those three weeks were our Grand Final. The Storm were never going to lose that game and it made watching the game at my Storm fan mates place a really enjoyable, stress free experience. There was no tension, no expectation, just satisfaction in knowing that my boys had done an almighty job to get there. Obviously i'd have loved for us to pull off the upset of the century but i couldn't be disappointed with the result really, it was inevitable.

I think you are mistaken about the result of 2015, Sir. Didn’t you watch Bennett’s presser after the match? You didn’t win, it was a draw :rofl: