What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is St George Illawarra Still A Joint Venture Club

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Not to add fuel to any fire here, but the St.George website store has some new pieces of merch that seem to have dropped a location

View attachment 26161 View attachment 26162 View attachment 26163 View attachment 26164
Don’t stress, there’s no fire..

But it is good to see the leagues club following newtown’s lead in marketing their own clothing..

There is a pretty big market for retro designs and it’s important that the leagues club looks for ways to grow revenue outside of reliance in poker machines..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Not to add fuel to any fire here, but the St.George website store has some new pieces of merch that seem to have dropped a location

View attachment 26161 View attachment 26162 View attachment 26163 View attachment 26164
All makes sense.

Since the 1920s the Illawarra has been a feeder region for St George. A proud tradition. The tradition was interrupted when the Steelers entered the Sydney comp, but in the bigger scheme of things that was temporary.

Now with the Illawarra Club no longer being a viable stakeholder in the JV, it does appear that history has gone a full circle.

All makes sense.

Since the 1920s the Illawarra has been a feeder region for St George. A proud tradition. The tradition was interrupted when the Steelers entered the Sydney comp, but in the bigger scheme of things that was temporary.

Now with the Illawarra Club no longer being a viable stakeholder in the JV, it does appear that history has gone a full circle.

Willow and Muzby,

does this mean we are now WIN Saints or Saints WIN?

When was the last time Cronulla was referred to as Cronulla Sutherland?

Perhaps our closet Saints supporter Miller was a Legend can answer this question.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow and Muzby,

Perhaps our closet Saints supporter Miller was a Legend can answer this question.
Join me in song...

"We are the St George team, We had a WIN today, We are the team you know of, Who show them how to play, No matter where you be, The red and white you'll see, Now aren't we a wonderful credit, To our locality!"
NB: "Boys" replaced with "team" to be more 21st Century inclusive.

I am sure I speak for Muzby as well.

possm

Coach
Willow and Muzby,

The name of the entity SGI does not have to reflect the name of the shareholders. The shareholders are now St George Legues Club and WIN Corp however, the chosen Club name is St George Illawarra.

In the same way, the backers of South Sydney do not have their name included and the backers of the Storm and Roosters do not have their name included.

SGI is no longer a joint venture club because there are no longer two rugby leagues clubs in ownership. There are shares held at this time by two entities and at any time in the future either entity may sell all or part of their chares in which case the name SGI may not necessarily change and most probably will not change.

SGI reflects two districts that the team represents. Not two teams joined at the hip in ownership of the Club..

possm

Coach
Join me in song...

"We are the St George team, We had a WIN today, We are the team you know of, Who show them how to play, No matter where you be, The red and white you'll see, Now aren't we a wonderful credit, To our locality!"

This was the team song sung during my childhood.

I was disgusted when I heard some years back, the South Sydney team sing this same song with the words 'South Sydney' replacing 'St George'.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Join me in song...

I like.. tweaked for our new structure:

"We are the mighty Dragons, owned by WIN today, We are the team you know of, Who show them how to play, No matter where you be, The red and white you’ll see, ‘cause we are a credit to the Wollongong locality!"

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This was the team song sung during my childhood.

I was disgusted when I heard some years back, the South Sydney team sing this same song with the words 'South Sydney' replacing 'St George'.
It was written in the late 1940s by former St George player Jack Mogridge and his mate Owen Clarkson. I hope they got some royalties from 50uff$.

Jack Mogridge
1928_mogridge_1.jpg

Forward.
St George 1928-29, 13 games.
NSW rep (1928).
Warwick (Qld) junior.
A broken leg in 1928 at Earl Park led to a premature retirement in 1929.
Its reported that 'Snowy' Justice suspected that Mogridge only had a cramp and he ruthlessly demanded his forward to get up. Jack rose to his feet and shook his leg and according to reports, 'it almost fell apart'.
Jack Mogridge went on to become club treasurer, selector and delegate to the NSWRL.
Along with Owen Clarkson, Jack was the co-writer of the team song, We are the St George Boys.
Link: http://jubileeavenue.com.au/history/history_players_mmc.php

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
SGI is no longer a joint venture club because there are no longer two rugby leagues clubs in ownership. There are shares held at this time by two entities and at any time in the future either entity may sell all or part of their chares
Very good point possum, and furthermore why we should be known as just the dragons and drop the St George moniker all together.

When it happens in 2020 I’ll make sure you get the credit for the idea..

Ensures we keep colour and name consistency and ensures we are marketable across Australia and the world.

Nice work..

possm

Coach
It was written in the late 1940s by former St George player Jack Mogridge and his mate Owen Clarkson. I hope they got some royalties from 50uff$.

Jack Mogridge
1928_mogridge_1.jpg

Forward.
St George 1928-29, 13 games.
NSW rep (1928).
Warwick (Qld) junior.
A broken leg in 1928 at Earl Park led to a premature retirement in 1929.
Its reported that 'Snowy' Justice suspected that Mogridge only had a cramp and he ruthlessly demanded his forward to get up. Jack rose to his feet and shook his leg and according to reports, 'it almost fell apart'.
Jack Mogridge went on to become club treasurer, selector and delegate to the NSWRL.
Along with Owen Clarkson, Jack was the co-writer of the team song, We are the St George Boys.
Link: http://jubileeavenue.com.au/history/history_players_mmc.php
I felt there was something wrong with the song but could not put my figure on it until I saw the link:

We are the St George boys, we played a game today.
We are the boys you know of, can show them how to play. ……...

Very good point possum, and furthermore why we should be known as just the dragons and drop the St George moniker all together.

When it happens in 2020 I’ll make sure you get the credit for the idea..

Ensures we keep colour and name consistency and ensures we are marketable across Australia and the world.

Nice work..

I get your point Muzby. You feel that the club should not be linked to a geographical region.

It fails to recognise that rugby league has never managed to seriously penetrate the global market.

What a great marketing coup that would be for WIN.

Remove Australian Rugby League’s most respected and lauded “brand”.

It would represent a serious miscalculation of judgment similar to WIN’s decision making as a shareholder of channel 9 and 10 in attempting to take over channel 10.

We all know what a great result that was for WIN.

The “Dragons” are synonymous with the St George” brand.

Let’s hope the WIN empire lasts till 2020.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I felt there was something wrong with the song but could not put my figure on it until I saw the link:

We are the St George boys, we played a game today.
We are the boys you know of, can show them how to play. ……...
Yep, I put a small note in the post about that. Here in the 21st Century I think we can afford to be more inclusive. Heck, I'll even let Illawarra supporters join us in song.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Join me in song...

Willow,

I’m guessing you’re aware that those dastardly Sea Eagles have pilfered this dirty when, on the rare occasion, it has a fortuitous victory?

Even more reason to loathe those &@$!

avocado

Juniors
I would hazard a guess the Saints supporters that actually LIVE in Kogarah and surrounds is a very small percentage of the fan base.

Sad but true. Sign of the times.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I get your point Muzby. You feel that the club should not be linked to a geographical region.
Not at all.. I’m saying we should reflect the ownership model and reward the financially dominant partner, whether that is a region or not..

If the St George region wants to stay part of the dragons football club in the nrl they should match or better the contribution from WIN.

The “Dragons” are synonymous with the St George” brand.

Possibly so.. but the reverse isn’t the case..

3523022_1_O.jpg

possm

Coach
I would hazard a guess the Saints supporters that actually LIVE in Kogarah and surrounds is a very small percentage of the fan base.

I'd say 'Sign of the times' is a big cop-out. SGI have done very little to bring the ever changing demographic of the St George District along with them in the past 3 decades. I'd like to see:
1. Locals be treated to a special ticket discount if the ticket is purchased at the home ground prior to the curtain raiser game being played.
2. Revision of entertainment and menus at the Taj to more closely meet the expectations of local members.
3. Refurbishing the Taj to a high-end contemporary style entertainment venue with the gambling area being annexed away from the new stylish entertainment areas.
4. A supervised children's area to make the Taj more family friendly.
5. Over time progressively bring first class entertainers to the Taj the day after a Friday night match encouraging fans to stay overnight in the newly developed accommodation facilities.
6. Run sponsored free return ticketed buses to away Sydney games leaving from the Taj.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'd say 'Sign of the times' is a big cop-out. SGI have done very little to bring the ever changing demographic of the St George District along with them in the past 3 decades. I'd like to see:
1. Locals be treated to a special ticket discount if the ticket is purchased at the home ground prior to the curtain raiser game being played.
2. Revision of entertainment and menus at the Taj to more closely meet the expectations of local members.
3. Refurbishing the Taj to a high-end contemporary style entertainment venue with the gambling area being annexed away from the new stylish entertainment areas.
5. Over time progressively bring first class entertainers to the Taj the day after a Friday night match encouraging fans to stay overnight in the newly developed accommodation facilities.
6. Run sponsored free return ticketed buses to away Sydney games leaving from the Taj.
I too would like to see those things.. it will help the St George side of the JV actually pull their weight..

Whilst I’m happy for the Illawarra to go it alone with the jersey and the heritage, it would be nice to keep little brother in the family..

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Spot on the area is most people of Asian background and they have no interest in the nrl.
If you go to thr leagues club at kogarah they are also the main customers.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

We need someone with your foresight in charge possm