What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three PNG internationals to Barrow raiders

Pommy

Coach
Just thought i would share this update on the three PNG players (Willie Minoga, Stargroth Amean and Wartovo Puara Jr) who have signed for Barrow Raiders.

Golden point

Juniors
The Q cup is probably in 3rd spot tie with nsw cup for level of competition behind NRL and super league , so this is actually a step back for these guys. Of course the money on offer would be much better than in PNG so you can't blame these guys for jumping at it. The real positive here is that it increases the talent pool on offer to the national team because more PNG players step straight into their spots at the hunters.

I think PNG are coming along in leaps and bound atm due to the hunters providing a steady talent stream. By the next world cup they will be able to provide 2 international teams full of full time professional players.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
The Q cup is probably in 3rd spot tie with nsw cup for level of competition behind NRL and super league , so this is actually a step back for these guys. Of course the money on offer would be much better than in PNG so you can't blame these guys for jumping at it. The real positive here is that it increases the talent pool on offer to the national team because more PNG players step straight into their spots at the hunters.

I think PNG are coming along in leaps and bound atm due to the hunters providing a steady talent stream. By the next world cup they will be able to provide 2 international teams full of full time professional players.
If they impress in the championship then I’m sure super league clubs will sit up and take notice. The championship is a good testing ground for the kumuls.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Do you know if Barrow a full-time club? I know the Hunters are so I'm hoping that they are not making a move to a part-time club in a lesser league even if their individuals salaries are better.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Do you know if Barrow a full-time club? I know the Hunters are so I'm hoping that they are not making a move to a part-time club in a lesser league even if their individuals salaries are better.
Barrow are semi-professional. The chairman of club was writing in the local paper that he hopes that some employers in the area will be willing to give the 3 kumuls jobs.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
The move to the championship is a step down imo unless they eventually end up in super league which is obviously a step up from Queensland cup.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Barrow are semi-professional. The chairman of club was writing in the local paper that he hopes that some employers in the area will be willing to give the 3 kumuls jobs.

Thanks for the info. That is an underwhelming move considering that the Hunters are full-time in the equal third best comp in the world. Hopefully a move to SL is on the cards soon. PNG need to produce a pool of full-time players in the top leagues, not a pool of part-time players in the championship.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Thanks for the info. That is an underwhelming move considering that the Hunters are full-time in the equal third best comp in the world. Hopefully a move to SL is on the cards soon. PNG need to produce a pool of full-time players in the top leagues, not a pool of part-time players in the championship.
I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it until I’m blue in the face but PNG needs a 2nd Queensland cup franchise based in Lae and both teams need to field u18’s&u20’s youth teams in the Queensland cup.

PNG has the numbers in terms of a fast increasing population currently at nearly 8.5 million and they have the huge playing numbers/talent pool to pick from. They just need structure and pathways for their RL athletes.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it until I’m blue in the face but PNG needs a 2nd Queensland cup franchise based in Lae and both teams need to field u18’s&u20’s youth teams in the Queensland cup.

PNG has the numbers in terms of a fast increasing population currently at nearly 8.5 million and they have the huge playing numbers/talent pool to pick from. They just need structure and pathways for their RL athletes.

I know without the PNG Government the Hunters wouldn't be sustainable so I'm not sure if they would support a second team, but if they would I'd be all for it. At the very least a Hunters u18's and 20's in the QLD Cup system is a must. I'm not sure how they are progressing with that.

Pommy

Coach
We have to remember these guys probably grew up with nothing and the prospect of earning money playing league and living on the other side of the world even as a semi pro is probably more than they ever could have imagined growing up.
It’s not all about the good of the sport it’s people lives as well.

Golden point

Juniors
We have to remember these guys probably grew up with nothing and the prospect of earning money playing league and living on the other side of the world even as a semi pro is probably more than they ever could have imagined growing up.
Absolutely. This is a third world country, it's just great to see our sport give these guys an opportunity to break the poverty trap.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I agree - I just think if they are able to play and compete at QLD Cup level (Hunters even won the premiership in 2017), then there is even more opportunity for these guys to go on to SL, or at least one of the full-time clubs in the championship. I am happy that our game can do this for their lives but I don't want them or the Kumuls sold short if they are capable of playing at a higher level. If Barrow comes knocking, of course they will jump at it but I guess what would be good in time is for all clubs will come to see what a great source of talent PNG is and greater opportunities will open up to many more players.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I know without the PNG Government the Hunters wouldn't be sustainable so I'm not sure if they would support a second team, but if they would I'd be all for it. At the very least a Hunters u18's and 20's in the QLD Cup system is a must. I'm not sure how they are progressing with that.
The PNG government and PNGRL need to tap the multi-national mining companies that are r@ping their country for funds. These corporations can put their names on the stadium and jerseys etc.

As for the youth teams it’s an absolute must and no-brainer. The younger these kumuls can be identified and exposed to a full time environment the better it’ll be for their development.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Very true. Also I don’t even think that these 3 kumuls are/where the best players in the hunters team.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I agree - I just think if they are able to play and compete at QLD Cup level (Hunters even won the premiership in 2017), then there is even more opportunity for these guys to go on to SL, or at least one of the full-time clubs in the championship. I am happy that our game can do this for their lives but I don't want them or the Kumuls sold short if they are capable of playing at a higher level. If Barrow comes knocking, of course they will jump at it but I guess what would be good in time is for all clubs will come to see what a great source of talent PNG is and greater opportunities will open up to many more players.
I think I’d have been more disappointed if players like junior Rau, Moses meninga and Nixon put etc had opted for the championship. These players I believe are the top players in the hunters team who should be looking to get picked up by a NRL club.

ed612313

Juniors
Agree.... PNG need to make the Gold mines pay for everything re Rugby League. From Junior development to Stadiums. PLENTY of mony around. They just need to make it work. Shouldnt be that hard....

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Agree.... PNG need to make the Gold mines pay for everything re Rugby League. From Junior development to Stadiums. PLENTY of mony around. They just need to make it work. Shouldnt be that hard....
It’s the least they can do. God knows how many billions they are taking out of that country and damaging the local environment at the same time.

Pommy

Coach

Is it just me that’s looking at these photos and knowing what the weather was like and thinking these three are thinking ‘what the f**k have we done’ haha

Latest posts