What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Lions Tour 2019

Pommy

Coach
Free to air tv coverage is much more visible than Pay tv!? It's logical that if you want a new audience to watch FTA tv is the way to go! ? Don't get what your logic is in this one either!?

Ok forget it, it’s like trying to get my dog to explain itself.
Back to the lions tour.

I was planning to go for the Kiwis game but my mate is thinking the Tongan fans will be an event in itself. What games are other thinking about going to?

Stallion

First Grade
What would you have done if you were in charge after the FTA stations told you they weren't interested in buying the rights to it? I'm intrigued to know lol

I suspect Fox probably paid very little or nothing for it but the NRL can excuse that way by saying its part of the NRL tv deal.

Ok. So you are of the belief that a rugby league world nines tournament is not a feasible tv product despite rugby-league being the most potent football tv product over the past 3 or 4 decades!, OK. Continue on . Let's not have such a tournament shown on free to air. Fine.

Stallion

First Grade
Back to the lions tour.

I was planning to go for the Kiwis game but my mate is thinking the Tongan fans will be an event in itself. What games are other thinking about going to?

Would have gone to Kangaroos v LIONS in NSW. (It's not on?!) But will probably go to the Saturday of the World nines at Parramatta.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wow. And what's your pointment! ? Just like any world cup they have marquee games. England v Kangaroos was allocated Melbourne for the opener for God's sakes! Not only a 2/3 full stadium was embarassing it would have featured a full SFS on Sydney or Newcastle. Instead the AFL organiser kicked off the tournament in Melbourne. This was just one mistake of many in the scheduling and marketing of this world cup! If you want elaborate more mistakes I easily can if you like!?

Ok. So you are of the belief that a rugby league world nines tournament is not a feasible tv product despite rugby-league being the most potent football tv product over the past 3 or 4 decades!, OK. Continue on . Let's not have such a tournament shown on free to air. Fine.

Off thread topic, again!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Back to the lions tour.

We are aiming for the tonga game, will be an experience not to be missed. Depending on scheduling we might stay on another week for the following game or we may do the nines first on the way

Stallion

First Grade
Off thread topic, again!

It's not off topic. As people like you think or support the decision to not have the Kangaroos playing Lions on their tour. The reason given by the ARLC was it was not commercially viable. I'm of the belief and many others are that this decision was a major mistake. Pointing to facts related to international rugby league in the world cup and its perceived moderate performance are in context as it refers to a scenario of poor scheduling , marketing and tv coverage planning.Based on this deceptive scenario, the Lions tour should have included a test in Australia at least. That's a valid discourse concerning the GB Lions tour. Like it or not . It's relevant. No use putting important issues under the carpet .

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
We are aiming for the tonga game, will be an experience not to be missed. Depending on scheduling we might stay on another week for the following game or we may do the nines first on the way

I’ve got a trip back to blighty next month so I think I’m going to be light on leave and other things in life are probably going to mean a long weekend is the best I can do, I would have loved to have taken 10 days and visited South Island inbetween (assuming Tonga and Kiwis will be in Auckland)

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's not off topic. As people like you think or support the decision to not have the Kangaroos playing Lions on their tour. The reason given by the ARLC was it was not commercially viable. I'm of the belief and many others are that this decision was a major mistake. Pointing to facts related to international rugby league in the world cup and its perceived moderate performance are in context as it refers to a scenario of poor scheduling , marketing and tv coverage planning.Based on this deceptive scenario, the Lions tour should have included a test in Australia at least. That's a valid discourse concerning the GB Lions tour. Like it or not . It's relevant. No use putting important issues under the carpet .

Your posts were about the world nines, this is a thread about the Lions tour.

Yes we know they should be playing Australia, everyone agrees with you ffs. You dont need to mention it on every thread fifty eight times!

Stallion

First Grade
Your posts were about the world nines, this is a thread about the Lions tour.

Yes we know they should be playing Australia, everyone agrees with you ffs. You dont need to mention it on every thread fifty eight times!

Lol. So everyone agrees with the Kangaroos playing the Lions! ? I suggest that this major omission from the Lions tour deserves greater attention . The point is relevant. And the World nines looks like the 'out' or scheduling excuse to not have the Kangaroos playing the Lions in Australia? All very relevant to discussing the GB Lions tour.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Think I must repeatedly qualify the context. I suggest that the rugby-league world cup audience may have been halved due to the clash with the day /night Ashes test on tv. This along with a 3/4 full stadium in Brisbane does not crelate a good look and total audience for what should have been a great night for rugby league in tv ratings and crowd number. Unfortunately both these 'pluses" were thwarted. We have discussed some of the reasons and yes a reduced number of kids would have occured along with a dissapointing look that the rugby league world cup final could not attract a full house. Overall not impressive for kids or neutrals. Luckily the rugby league was quality. Thank God for the players. The RL administrators failed dismally in my opinion on many fronts.

A 3/4 full Suncorp would have meant a crowd of 34k. We got a bees d!ck short of 40k. Still not great but please deal in actual facts.

Te Kaha

First Grade

Ok that's enough about what should be in the tour.

Leave this thread going forward about what actually is in the tour. and news actually about the tour

Pommy

Coach
So when are we expecting dates? How late could they realistically drag this out?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Sorry if its off topic, but i was just thinking that the RFL should commit to GB Lions over the English team. Im not sure how the fans would feel, but there are some definite logistical benefits...

For one, combining all to the best players from England, Scotland and Wales will make then THAT much more competitive and put them THAT much closer to knocking Australia off the top ranking.

For another, it opens 2 more spots in any rep comp, making space for the developing nations to join.

Treat England, Scotland and Wales like we treat the NSW/QLD by only playing them in internal tournament.

Pommy

Coach
Sorry if its off topic, but i was just thinking that the RFL should commit to GB Lions over the English team. Im not sure how the fans would feel, but there are some definite logistical benefits...

For one, combining all to the best players from England, Scotland and Wales will make then THAT much more competitive and put them THAT much closer to knocking Australia off the top ranking.

For another, it opens 2 more spots in any rep comp, making space for the developing nations to join.

Treat England, Scotland and Wales like we treat the NSW/QLD by only playing them in internal tournament.

Combining the players doesn’t make the team anymore competitive as things stand. If the team is picked on merit it’s unlikely any none English players make it.
Also you open a can of worms with the Irish question. Are we going to have two sovereign nations playing as one, UK and Ireland or are you going to exclude NI from the British team? Or are you going to divide the Irish in to two despite them being one of the few Northern hemisphere bodies which seems to be doing some good work?
For me I really wouldn’t mind as I have always seen myself as British before English but I’m not sure it would be good for the sport losing Wales and Ireland as stand alone teams. Scotland not so much.

Last edited:

Burns

First Grade
So when are we expecting dates? How late could they realistically drag this out?
If nothing by the start of the NRL season, they it aint happening.

I mean, we have zero dates for any internationals this year.

Pommy

Coach
If nothing by the start of the NRL season, they it aint happening.

I mean, we have zero dates for any internationals this year.

Surely that’s not true, the Denver test certainly wasn’t confirmed before the season started. I do wish they would hurry up though I want to keep and eye out for cheap flights.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Has anybody on here ever been to PNG for a game? Ive always pondered how safe and easy it would be to go over and watch a Kumuls game there? Would be an experience for sure!

Latest posts