What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The greatest club side of all time (one year only)

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Re: 94 Raiders v 98 Broncos
Boxing style scoring.. Knock outs get scored 10-5

1. Lockyer v Mullins: Mullins at his best was as electric as any player in the games history. But Lockyer was IMO undoubtedly a better fullback than Mullins. 10-8 Broncos

2.De Vere v Nagas: DeVere was a very good player but was more a good defensive centre than he was a winger. As a winger, Nagas leaves him in his wake. 10-8 Raiders (18-18)

3. Renouf v Meninga: Not disrespect to Pearl but this is a buzzsaw. KO. It's over. Meninga wins without batting an eye. 10-5 Raiders (28-23 Raiders)

4. Smith v Wiki: One was a solid to good footballer, the other is one of the best NZ players to ever lace a boot. Another knock out. 10-5 (38-28 Raiders)

5. Sailor v Nandruku: Very similar players, but no question Sailer was a later, better version of that sort of player. I'll give Sailor a KO here. 10-5 Broncos (43-38 Raiders)

6. Walters v Daley: Im going to be VERY kind here and give Daley a one knock down win. Which is ridiculous but im being fair. This is probably a KO. 10-8 Raiders (53-46 Raiders)

7. Langer v Stuart: Another im going to be fair on, because that's the sort of guy i am. Stuart was clearly the better player but given their resumes. Lets call this a draw. THAT's how fair im being. Im giving this a draw! Because im proving a point. 10-10 (63-56 Raiders)

8. Webcke v Lomax: Knock out win for Webcke. Lomax was a very good player but yeah, not in Webcke's class. 10-5 Broncos (68-66 Raiders)

9. Lee v Walters: I cant do any better than 10-5 KO win for Boxhead here but honestly this fight wouldnt be sanctioned anywhere. It would be like putting your or I in the ring with peak Iron Mike. 10-5 Raiders (78-71 Raiders)

10. Gee v Pongia: 35 NZ tests v a guy who was OK for QLD but not much beyond that. Neither are stars but both served their purpose. Pongia was the better player, but im generous. Lets call it a draw. 10-10 (88-81 Raiders)

11. Tallis v Croker: Love Croker but yeah this is a mismatch. Tallis in a KO. 10-5 Broncos. (93-91 Raiders)

12. Thorn v Furner: Im going to ignore Thorn's RU career, which i think has been way better than his RL career. Both VERY good RL back rowers. Both extremely under-rated. But again, im a kind a generous man. So ill shade it Thorns way. 10-9 Broncos (102-102 TIE)

13. Carroll v Clyde: And in the final round the Raiders who have the edge across the park in everywhere but a winger, the back row and a prop, lands the final knock out punch. 10-5 Raiders (112-107 Raiders)

Well that was a massive waste of time dickhead

He won a comp as a halfback and then was replaced by Brett bloody Finch :(

Wing was never given a proper chance to develop as a halfback.

That being said I totally agree that his best position was hooker. Wingy was an absolutely awesome running hooker and easily the best bench utility I've ever seen. He wrecked Qld for a few years so the mistake wasn't really moving him to hooker but replacing him with Finch lol

2 R. Stuart masterstrokes in moving Wing to Hooker and Mini to fullback. Finch showed promise when he burst onto the scene but never made it to the heights he should have. He done well to play in 2 Origin series though.

RedVDave

First Grade
Dragons 2010 only conceded 20 points the entire finals series and cause you know.
Roosters 2013 they kept 6 or 7 teams to nil that year.
Melbourne 2017 dominant all year
Sharks 2016 won something like 15 games in a row in the modern age that's damn impressive.
Manly 2008 beat a team well over the salary cap in the GF 40-0.
Parra 2001 they didn't win it but geez they were in a league of their own that year.

I am probably being a bit generous for some of those.

Sonny83

Juniors
Yeah that opening week finals game where we beat Manly 4-0 was epic.

I am biased but I honestly can't recall a better defensive performance, especially when you consider the quality of that Manly side.

To beat them 4 times that season is ridiculous.

i still remember that epic game, everyone both sides gave their all and the only try in the game is one of those miracle one.