What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Apparently we are not interested in older established coaches. They are after a younger coach who will fit into our system..Holbrook is an old boy and has at least had experience in the English league...there are others of merit like O'Brien..who is at Easts and was formally under Bellamy....

We are stuck with the current coach unless something changes drastically.

P.S I'd take Holbrook over Mary...Mary has been here since May 2014...........it's time for that experiment to end.
If that's the case J D is in with a big chance of getting a recall ........

BLM01

First Grade
He won 2 NSW Cup premierships as coach of the Bulldogs before joining us, then took our unfancied Under 20's to a prelim final.

We did one of our "reviews" and decided he needed to go. He was such a dud that he ended up at the Roosters as Trent Robinsons assistant, before going to St Helens and leading them to a minor premiership in his first year.
He went to Parra when he left us but not enough in all that to convince me that he is 1st grade NRL material here and take a punt on another rookie that has been here before.
Adriam Lam was also punted from being with our Under 20's prior. I'd take him before Holbrook but that is just my opinion. Holbrook might of had a minor prem in 17 with a pretty good high profile squad but has not done much since? Lost to Steve Price in Challenge Semi last year. Just my thoughts

BLM01

First Grade
Apparently we are not interested in older established coaches. They are after a younger coach who will fit into our system..Holbrook is an old boy and has at least had experience in the English league...there are others of merit like O'Brien..who is at Easts and was formally under Bellamy....

P.S I'd take Holbrook over Mary...Mary has been here since May 2014...........it's time for that experiment to end.
Yeh maybe but there is a few others I would take 1st than Holbrook too. Holbrook like Price with some OK form in ESL with good sides does not convince me they will make it here.
I agree with the older established coaches scenario cause there is none of decent quality available right now.
I have said before I would take Toovey or Kimmorley or combo package of both. Kimmorley ike Sterlo when I listen to then they just appear to have so much smarts for the game and coaching ability. He can really talk so engaging players would not be a problem.
Toovey for mine did a very good job at Manly and seemed to be the real task master but was let down by his admin. My 10c worth.

getsmarty

Immortal
Yeh maybe but there is a few others I would take 1st than Holbrook too. Holbrook like Price with some OK form in ESL with good sides does not convince me they will make it here.
I agree with the older established coaches scenario cause there is none of decent quality available right now.
I have said before I would take Toovey or Kimmorley or combo package of both. Kimmorley ike Sterlo when I listen to then they just appear to have so much smarts for the game and coaching ability. He can really talk so engaging players would not be a problem.
Toovey for mine did a very good job at Manly and seemed to be the real task master but was let down by his admin. My 10c worth.

All good points, but they will not take anyone who wants to bring in their own staff....that's what I have been told...and also Doust mentioned the NFL style set up were the coach fits into an already existing structure. Only a Young guy who wants a starting spot in the NRL would except this....

Forget getting the best candidate for the job...LOL

BLM01

First Grade
All good points, but they will not take anyone who wants to bring in their own staff....that's what I have been told...and also Doust mentioned the NFL style set up were the coach fits into an already existing structure. Only a Young guy who wants a starting spot in the NRL would except this....

Forget getting the best candidate for the job...LOL
Why the hell would you want to provide the staff to suit..just the people hiring them but not necessarily suit the 1 person with the most important and hardest job of all at the club.
Oh well if that is the clubs blanket view...so be it. And the Dragons keep forgetting when you set up a structure, that structure needs to evolve and be modified to suit the ever changing landscape that is the NRL and the sport itself.
So if you are correct 86...we wont be winning any premiership anytime soon

getsmarty

Immortal
Why the hell would you want to provide the staff to suit..just the people hiring them but not necessarily suit the 1 person with the most important and hardest job of all at the club.
Oh well if that is the clubs blanket view...so be it. And the Dragons keep forgetting when you set up a structure, that structure needs to evolve and be modified to suit the ever changing landscape that is the NRL and the sport itself.
So if you are correct 86...we wont be winning any premiership anytime soon

There is either a Video or article with Doust or Millward discussing this last year....I'll try to find it...

grouch

First Grade
He went to Parra when he left us but not enough in all that to convince me that he is 1st grade NRL material here and take a punt on another rookie that has been here before.
Adriam Lam was also punted from being with our Under 20's prior. I'd take him before Holbrook but that is just my opinion. Holbrook might of had a minor prem in 17 with a pretty good high profile squad but has not done much since? Lost to Steve Price in Challenge Semi last year. Just my thoughts
Sorry, the minor premiership was in 2018, his 2nd year. First year they finished 4th and lost the prelim final in extra time.
He's way more accomplished than Adrian Lam.

Anyway it'd be nice if the club held our own coaches to the same level of scrutiny as those from elsewhere.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade

Yeah 5 years is enough, seriously with very little success.
Time to move on & I'm ok to go with Holbrook, JD, O'Brien or Walters but unless there is a disaster on the field this year of which I'm not hoping for I think they'll extend him:(

Warabrook saint

Juniors
If the board extends this turkey at any period (unless we're a part of grand final week already)...then they can all go and f**k themselves repeatedly until medical attention is required.
He's done nothing to warrant one...and a strong start as we know means SFA in the scheme of a season as evidenced by 2015, 17 and last year.
He's done absolutely nothing....he is a fraud :angry: