What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edwards or DWZ for fullback next year

Dwz or Edwards for full back

• DWZ

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Edwards

Votes: 33 67.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

franklin2323

Immortal
Id like to hold onto them both for this season at least, unless we can get a FG ready hooker or good prop out of it.

I hate moving guys on early anyway but Edwards is off contract end of next season. The way we do it is either re-sign or release before next pre season.

We could in theory lose both hookers for next season. So that is more an issue to get sorted sooner

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Around and around we go.

Edwards is the best FB at the club and will be our FB come round 1.

Dallin is one of the 2 best wingers and that’s where he will start.

The rest will depend on Injury. Edwards is too consistent to ever be dropped due to form, so unless he’s hurt, he’ll be there for a long time.

betcats

Referee
I hate moving guys on early anyway but Edwards is off contract end of next season. The way we do it is either re-sign or release before next pre season.

We could in theory lose both hookers for next season. So that is more an issue to get sorted sooner

Even I will be shitty if we release another guy and get nothing back.

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
Exactly, Dallin didn’t train there all offseason last year and he still played great and got picked for the kiwis there. Mate you say no one is assured a spot at the same time saying there’s no way Dallin can be the first choice fullback. That’s a contradiction. Ivan could easily be leaning one way or the other.

Edwards is not a ball playing fb by any stretch, Dallin can pass the ball just as well as Edwards if not better. Edwards ball playing last season was disappointing, he was bombing chances.

I’ve no idea who is first choice, but Ivan was playing Dallin there 4 years ago whenever Moylan got hurt and constantly talked him up. Don’t be surprised if it’s Dallin and not Edwards.

To be fair, he had hook to learn from.

betcats

Referee
To be fair, he had hook to learn from.

Yeah that's is worth keeping in mind. I honestly think he was holding back a lot of the ball playing and creative players, Edwards could come looking a different player in that regard(ball playing, creativity etc) next year in which case I'd be happy to eat my words.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah that's is worth keeping in mind. I honestly think he was holding back a lot of the ball playing and creative players, Edwards could come looking a different player in that regard(ball playing, creativity etc) next year in which case I'd be happy to eat my words.

He is only like 28 games in to is career. Some need that time to show their full game. A few other guys, Hookers, Kikau etc will be more complete players with general growth

Crashtest

Juniors
The Mole is reporting that the Edwards to Raiders rumour is a dud. He is usually wrong most times with his rumours, but hopefully he is correct with this one:

EDWARDS-RAIDERS RUMOUR A DUD

Hottest rumour doing the rounds this week is that classy utility Dylan Edwards is on the outer at Penrith and could be headed to the Raiders.

It’s come about because Dallin Watene-Zelezniak may start the new season at fullback despite Edwards’ sizzling performances there last season.

But I’ve checked with both clubs - and the rumour is a dud.

The Panthers realise the value of Edwards and aren’t about to let him go anywhere, while the Raiders have little money to spend in the cap in any case.

I still like the idea of splitting the fullback role between Edwards & DWZ.

Dallin would bring the ball back on kick returns, Edwards would be the support play FB in the opposition 50. Plus Edwards to be the fullback defensively close to the line. He’s much better at defusing grubber kicks.
Ivan isn't some supercoach but things like this are possible under him unlike Hook

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
I remember Edwards getting a few inside balls of his 5/8, not many but here and there to score a few tries. Strangely enough I noticed last year we never seemed to do it when Dallin was playing fullback.

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
I remember Edwards getting a few inside balls of his 5/8, not many but here and there to score a few tries. I know Dallin didn't play fullback for a long time but I can't think of a single play we even tried that with him.
You mean like when he set up Maloney under the posts in the last game we won

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
You mean like when he set up Maloney under the posts in the last game we won
Katao does that fake in this direction then no look pass in the other direction on almost every single play when he's at hooker. He even does it to props on one out hit ups. Him doing it on every play isn't the same thing as Maloney trying it with Edwards like once every two games. One play unless it's off a quick ptb is to try and split the markers to get a few more metres, the other is aiming specifically to score a try.

Dallin was just a running one out play and the defenders didn't mark him properly because Tamou's quick play the ball/Katoa's drawing them with his no look pass. Inside ball is more probing for a lazy defender.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I remember Edwards getting a few inside balls of his 5/8, not many but here and there to score a few tries. Strangely enough I noticed last year we never seemed to do it when Dallin was playing fullback.

Dallin takes too long to pass. Seems so to hesitate before passing nothing that can't be fixed but whether he is better then Edwards when the new plays and stuff are done who knows

Edwards ball playing has been dissapointing for a former 5/8 but that might be due to Hook's super conservative style. Hopefully Ivan tells him to just play whats in front of him

Latest posts