What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

themacemaceman

Juniors
If what you say is true then thats great but i doubt it was more than 150k due to his limited game time due to injuries, still im hoping we resign jennings who i believe is on a promise, otherwise why waste his time with us instead of taking 1 of the 2 offers i believe he has
Most clubs these days seem to do the right thing by players letting them go elsewhere if they can get a better deal and add a few years to their contract.
We did it with Robbie Farah as it was the right thing to do by Robbie but probably not by the club.
So I couldn’t see us doing the wrong thing by Jennings.
I’m sure there’s a plan and everyone will be happy.

ThingFish

Juniors
Rumblings at the Rabbitohs as Bennett takes charge

Walter Penninger

Rumours of discontent at Souths have probably been greatly exaggerated, but questions remain as to whether Wayne Bennett’s coaching style will fit in at the Rabbitohs.

Bennett’s coaching style, with a more rigid disciplined approach, may not suit many of the Rabbitohs players.

The Burgess twins have typically not put in the hard yards or met statistical targets early in the NRL season, but is hard to see what options Bennett has available in this regard.

Bennett himself cannot expect to deliver a premiership in his first season as coach at Souths if his experience at the Dragons (second-year premiership), Knights (nowhere near anything) and return to the Broncos is anything to go by.

Any first year coach will need time to mold his team but, with the late preseason changeover from the Broncos, there is not much time before the season begins in March and no opportunity for hiring new players.

Bennett also brought no players with him to Souths unlike the players he poached from the Dragons when he moved to Newcastle, but Brisbane ex-assistant coach Jason Demetriou, who has moved, will provide Bennett with great support at Souths.

Bennett has also indicated Maroons skipper Greg Inglis is likely to move back to fullback, casting doubts over Alex Johnston’s place in the squad. The views of Inglis and Johnston are not known but could be contributing to the grumbling.

Souths, with no major offseason signings apart from Bennett, have limited options available and the coach will need to get more out of the existing squad than Anthony Seibold managed last year.

One also wonders how Bennett will cope with the input from 50 per cent owner Russell Crowe and how Crowe will cope with Bennett’s communication skills.

The departure of Angus Crichton to the Roosters means a reshuffle in the pack, with one of Sam Burgess and Cameron Murray, who Bennett should like with his work rate, likely to shift wider.

Cody Walker can anticipate problems with Bennett’s approach to coaching, but options are available with Adam Doueihi having played well in 2018.

I am not sure why Souths regarded Bennett essential for 2019, but it looks like his initial impact will be limited and that Souths fans will need to look forward to 2020.

The Rabbitohs play the Panthers and the Dragons in the trials which should give a good indication of where they are at in 2019.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/01/...ohs-as-bennett-takes-charge/#comments-section

Pablooo

Juniors
What a load of crap. The Burgi have started training after Christmas so their conditioning and targets would be a little out of kilter. The rest of the players are over the moon with Bennett. He definitely needs to bring his hard edge and discipline to our completions and defense, his style maybe tough and a little hard on the players but they are professionals and will step up.

callmack1

Staff member
Rumblings at the Rabbitohs as Bennett takes charge

Walter Penninger

Rumours of discontent at Souths have probably been greatly exaggerated, but questions remain as to whether Wayne Bennett’s coaching style will fit in at the Rabbitohs.

Bennett’s coaching style, with a more rigid disciplined approach, may not suit many of the Rabbitohs players.

The Burgess twins have typically not put in the hard yards or met statistical targets early in the NRL season, but is hard to see what options Bennett has available in this regard.

Bennett himself cannot expect to deliver a premiership in his first season as coach at Souths if his experience at the Dragons (second-year premiership), Knights (nowhere near anything) and return to the Broncos is anything to go by.

Any first year coach will need time to mold his team but, with the late preseason changeover from the Broncos, there is not much time before the season begins in March and no opportunity for hiring new players.

Bennett also brought no players with him to Souths unlike the players he poached from the Dragons when he moved to Newcastle, but Brisbane ex-assistant coach Jason Demetriou, who has moved, will provide Bennett with great support at Souths.

Bennett has also indicated Maroons skipper Greg Inglis is likely to move back to fullback, casting doubts over Alex Johnston’s place in the squad. The views of Inglis and Johnston are not known but could be contributing to the grumbling.

Souths, with no major offseason signings apart from Bennett, have limited options available and the coach will need to get more out of the existing squad than Anthony Seibold managed last year.

One also wonders how Bennett will cope with the input from 50 per cent owner Russell Crowe and how Crowe will cope with Bennett’s communication skills.

The departure of Angus Crichton to the Roosters means a reshuffle in the pack, with one of Sam Burgess and Cameron Murray, who Bennett should like with his work rate, likely to shift wider.

Cody Walker can anticipate problems with Bennett’s approach to coaching, but options are available with Adam Doueihi having played well in 2018.

I am not sure why Souths regarded Bennett essential for 2019, but it looks like his initial impact will be limited and that Souths fans will need to look forward to 2020.

The Rabbitohs play the Panthers and the Dragons in the trials which should give a good indication of where they are at in 2019.
That is an absolute BS article written by someone who has no idea.

Nowhere has it been suggested that there are rumblings at Souths, nowhere. In fact, I've heard from people that have been at trainings that from what they've seen, it's quite the opposite.

ThingFish

Juniors
That is an absolute BS article written by someone who has no idea.

Nowhere has it been suggested that there are rumblings at Souths, nowhere. In fact, I've heard from people that have been at trainings that from what they've seen, it's quite the opposite.
Agree 100%. I’ve seen nothing but smiles in the training shots and that includes AJ. If there really was disharmony I reckon Jennings would have left months ago. There’s nothing keeping him from leaving, other than the fact he really wants to be at Redfern.

ThingFish

Juniors
You don’t even have to be a journalist to write for the Roar - anyone can basically put forward an opinion piece!
And this piece was real bitter. Seems all based on assumption, this, this and this has happened, therefore there must be rumblings. And the classic, Bennett coaches like this, therefore Cody Walker must be upset. From the pics I’ve seen at training Cody looks the most relaxed. I thought you guys would get a kick out of it.

Pauly1

Juniors
Cant believe Bennett did not bring anyone over!
That is not like Bennett, am I missing something or is our salary cap top heavy,
with GI and Burgess PTY LTD?

CAFPOW

Juniors
That is not like Bennett, am I missing something or is our salary cap top heavy,

I thought Richo sent a cryptic message in his "Letters to members". That, we have absolutely no space in our salary cap and it's not his fault? I think the last time Richo mentioned "Fantasy Football" was at the end of 2016 season. I hope we don’t end up 12th like we did in 2017

Last edited:

ThingFish

Juniors
You can now add Cook to that list. I’m not sure what Gags is on, but I’d say a big chunk of our cap is taken by 4 or 5 players. If we want to recruit in 2020 we’ll probably have to loose at least one twin.

Last edited:

LittleWayne

Juniors
How much are the twins on?

Inglis
Johnston
Gagai
Walker
Reynolds
Tom
Cook
George
Sam
Sutton

Will be 10 players on decent/good money, if a twin leaves are you telling me we could a replacement (at the same standard) and a back rower?

ThingFish

Juniors
How much are the twins on?

Inglis
Johnston
Gagai
Walker
Reynolds
Tom
Cook
George
Sam
Sutton

Will be 10 players on decent/good money, if a twin leaves are you telling me we could a replacement (at the same standard) and a back rower?
The rumored plan for 2020 was that to get TPJ to follow Bennett in 2020 one of the twins would have to go. Other money would come from not renewing Kyle Turner and developing from within, the Johnstones and the like.

Go Bunnies

Juniors
The rumored plan for 2020 was that to get TPJ to follow Bennett in 2020 one of the twins would have to go. Other money would come from not renewing Kyle Turner and developing from within, the Johnstones and the like.
Supposedly Sam Johnstone has returned to Qld

LittleWayne

Juniors

There won’t be any spare change from that, I dare say TPJ would command a higher salary than one of the twins.

I’d rather recruit a back rower, keep the twins, lose a 3/4 on a high salary and develop from with in there.