What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop seeks release

Coffs dragon

Bench
VACANCY

Captain and a leader of the Dragons NRL team.
Must be 100% committed and lead with integrity & inspirational character qualities.
This is a long term position that requires someone that has the ability to keep a straight face at post match press conferences whilst the coach stumbles and digs holes.
Apply to the Director of Pathways.......sideways, backwards & sometimes forward.

Crush

Coach
You're being a bit dramatic. He hasn't broken his contract. He has come to a new agreement with the club, and has given us plenty of notice for future planning.
Alcohol free days, I've worked them into my routine early on the week, NY resolution thing.
#cranky

Crush

Coach
FMD people have been posting for years how spineless the club is and you pick this event to take a stance?
What about Price, Mc Fookknuckle, the Nightingale scenario, the Benji scenario, the piss poor results scenario, the journeymen, the plodders, the lack iof a pathway, the nobody gets dropped scenario?
You should have been on board years ago.
I dont have a problem with the pathways, I don't see any plodders and I don't share the journeymen view.
The nobody gets dropped thing is a massive frustration and that covers Nightingale and Benji.

Old Timer

Coach
I dont have a problem with the pathways, I don't see any plodders and I don't share the journeymen view.
The nobody gets dropped thing is a massive frustration and that covers Nightingale and Benji.
Come on Crush you know deep down we have had our share of plodders and journeymen that have been ordinary for example Nielsen, Farrell, Masie and that mid 30 year old that came back to play ISP a couple of years ago to name a few and avoiding discussing Latimore, Allgood & Nicholls.
Let’s discuss pathways again after the teams for the 1st round are announced.

grouch

First Grade
Contracts mean nothing. The captain of a team breaks a contract to suit himself. If they don't drop him as captain this year and instate a new one then they are a bunch of spineless tools.
I don't ever say this.. but I kinda agree with Crush. It doesn't speak well of a club's culture when the captain walks out mid-contract. Being captain of this club is more than just a (c) next to your name, saying a few words in the huddle, and a bit of extra media work. It's even more than an honour or privilege. It is membership of a pantheon. It extends back from Ben Hornby to Provan to Kearney to Herb Gilbert. The only way Widdop is redeemed in my eyes is if his shoulder is screwed and he knows he won't give the club value. Time will tell.

Drag Queen

Bench
Come on Crush you know deep down we have had our share of plodders and journeymen that have been ordinary for example Nielsen, Farrell, Masie and that mid 30 year old that came back to play ISP a couple of years ago to name a few and avoiding discussing Latimore, Allgood & Nicholls.
Let’s discuss pathways again after the teams for the 1st round are announced.
In defense of Farrell, he suffered a debilitating back injury whilst with our club. Swept under the carpet though. No remuneration etc. Promising young junior but perhaps not 1st grade material. Either way, the club should have supported him and his young family more. Masoe is doing OK for Hull KR in ESL. Instrumental in their first game win......

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Yet another player who’s sick of McGregor: Morris, Merrin, Bird, Dugan and now Widdop.

What an unmitigated disaster he’s been for the club.

Ironically, Widdop will now play under Steve Price next season.

watatank

Coach
Contracts mean nothing. The captain of a team breaks a contract to suit himself. If they don't drop him as captain this year and instate a new one then they are a bunch of spineless tools.

Yep, agreed.

You just know that they wont do that. The most they will do is name a co captain (or two) which is just as weak

ouryears

Bench
Not at all, just sick of widdop and his soft as jelly leadership style.
Tell me, where have we ever finished with him leading us.....
Ohhh dang......7th to 10th, or was it 12th....
Says it all,
Just happy we can now chase someone far more ballsy

Widdop has never been a Dragon, the fact that he is leaving mid contract I don’t give a damn. That’s what we get for signing a storm player, then giving him the captainancy role of our great club.
Shameful decision.
Widdop has led us.....LIKE MARY.....to a big FAT ZERO.
Years of disappointment, many floggings, and fade outs year after year.

Blame Mary alone?
Nope.
The captain has just as much to answer for.
Widdop has been 6.5/10 for us.
Not terrible......but not good.
I am looking forward to him going and the team moving on with a passionate and ballsy captain, someone with grit, a captain who DOES NOT take a backward step, a captain who demands everything .....and gives everything!
A player who loves and breathes our club.

hewi

Bench
Maybe Widdop needs to visit spec savers? Didn’t he read and realise the coach is Steve Price?

Drag Queen

Bench
Yet another player who’s sick of McGregor: Morris, Merrin, Bird, Dugan and now Widdop.

What an unmitigated disaster he’s been for the club.

Ironically, Widdop will now play under Steve Price next season.
The irony is killing me. I don't miss the Bird drama though. Who would want his raging father on social media every second day. Nah.

Drag Queen

Bench
Widdop has never been a Dragon, the fact that he is leaving mid contract I don’t give a damn. That’s what we get for signing a storm player, then giving him the captainancy role of our great club.
Shameful decision.
Widdop has led us.....LIKE MARY.....to a big FAT ZERO.
Years of disappointment, many floggings, and fade outs year after year.

Blame Mary alone?
Nope.
The captain has just as much to answer for.
Widdop has been 6.5/10 for us.
Not terrible......but not good.
I am looking forward to him going and the team moving on with a passionate and ballsy captain, someone with grit, a captain who DOES NOT take a backward step, a captain who demands everything .....and gives everything!
A player who loves and breathes our club.
Get F**ed. You are a zero out of ten.

Drag Queen

Bench
Maybe Widdop needs to visit spec savers? Didn’t he read and realise the coach is Steve Price?
Steve Price's team made the finals in ESL last year. BTW for anyone paying overs for Foxtel, change to Kayo. Pure sport for $25 a month.

BLM01

First Grade
Yep, agreed.

You just know that they wont do that. The most they will do is name a co captain (or two) which is just as weak
Cant stand this modern co captain and leadership group stuff comprising about 8 players.
I forget which team it was a few years back...Souths?...had 3-4 co-captains
Leadership comes from the coach, captain and whats wrong with calling or nominating a vice captain that leads and is mentioned only in the absence of the captain. Thats enough leaders.
And having a young player look up to and take advice from a senior / seasoned player is called inspiration and keen for learning. Does not mean that should stop or the seasoned player has to form part of a leadership group that gives advice to the coach etc on discipline, player selections and other issues.
The theory may be Ok but it gives players too much power and it affects other aspects of a club's culture.
In St George practice it is a cop out for the coach to make or who cant make the hard decisions.
For me Tariq (C).. Friz or McInnes nominated VC only in his absence

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop to depart Dragons at end of 2019 season
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 16 Jan 2019, 04:54 AM

St George Illawarra Dragons captain Gareth Widdop has requested and will be granted a release from his playing contract on compassionate grounds at the completion of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

A desire to return home to England and play in the Super League, as well as to be closer to his grandparents who he has long been away from, all led to him requesting a release to join the Warrington Wolves for the 2020 season and beyond.

The club have released Widdop under the condition that if he were to return to the NRL then it can only be to the Dragons.

The England international arrived at the Red V in 2014 and has played 115 NRL games with the club to date. Widdop is on track to become the club's highest pointscorer in 2019.

The 29-year-old veteran thanked the Dragons for working through his request with the utmost professionalism.

"I've made a big decision in my career having decided to move back to England next year," Widdop said.

"It certainly hasn't been the easiest decision but sometimes in life we have aspirations and playing in the Super League has been one of mine for a while now.

"The Dragons have played a big part in my career. I've been here a long time now and to get to where we have with the roster we've got, to leave it all behind especially being the captain will be difficult.

"This situation has been handled in the most professional way possible. I worked really closely with the club who have been great. We worked towards getting the best outcome and I thank the Dragons for that.

"I still have the 2019 season to come. The reason we play this game is to win premierships. We have the squad to win it this year and I'll be doing everything possible to achieve that."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/01/16/widdop-to-depart-dragons-at-end-of-2019/

Latest posts